Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why would you become an M.P?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Money is not great, every little thing you do is under scrutiny, everyone hates you and you have to tow the party line.

Name me a reason to become an M.P

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Er, the taxpayer pays for pretty much ANYTHING you fancy and I'd hardly call the money poor

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Where do you have to tow it to?

Damn...beat me to it

I must say that an MP's life is not that cushy. I think the pay's pretty low for the level of responsibility and your life isn't your on.

Still, I believe there are plenty of opportunities for shagging...

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Is it toe the line? wow I never knew that:shrug:
There is some confusion between 'toe the line' and the frequently seen misspelling 'tow the line'. The 'tow' version is no doubt encouraged by the fact that ropes or cables on ships are often called lines and that 'tow lines' are commonplace nautical items.

The earlier meaning of 'to toe the line' was to position one's toes next to a marked line in order to be ready to start a race, or some other undertaking. In the 19th century, we wouldn't have been limited to lines when it came to placing our feet, but would have had a choice of what to toe - a mark, scratch, crack or trig [a line or small trench]. These were all then in use in 'toe the ...' phrases. The earliest version we know about is from The Diverting History of John Bull and Brother Jonathan, 1813, by 'Hector Bull-Us' - known to his family and friends as James Paulding:

"He began to think it was high time to toe the mark."

Pauling was using the figurative rather than literal meaning of the phrase, i.e. to 'toe the mark' was to conform to a set standard.

Going back to the original, literal 'toeing' of a line; there are many circumstances where one might place one's toes up to a line - the start of a sporting event, standing in formation on parade, etc, etc. So, which is the source of the phrase?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Money is not great, every little thing you do is under scrutiny, everyone hates you and you have to tow the party line.

Name me a reason to become an M.P

I can think of more than a quarter of a million a year (salary plus non taxable expenses) plus what must be the best personal pension scheme anywhere; subsidised meals; extended holidays; free trips worldwide with first class travel; very reasonable working hours; guaranteed book publication and access to well paid media work including television or radio pundit and newspaper columns if you are any good;invitations to remunerated non executive directorships; and all-in-all (for most) relatively little responsibility for the remuneration offered.

Being disliked or distrusted I could deal with - no worse than being a traffic warden or an estate agent:glare:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There is some confusion between 'toe the line' and the frequently seen misspelling 'tow the line'. The 'tow' version is no doubt encouraged by the fact that ropes or cables on ships are often called lines and that 'tow lines' are commonplace nautical items.

The earlier meaning of 'to toe the line' was to position one's toes next to a marked line in order to be ready to start a race, or some other undertaking. In the 19th century, we wouldn't have been limited to lines when it came to placing our feet, but would have had a choice of what to toe - a mark, scratch, crack or trig [a line or small trench]. These were all then in use in 'toe the ...' phrases. The earliest version we know about is from The Diverting History of John Bull and Brother Jonathan, 1813, by 'Hector Bull-Us' - known to his family and friends as James Paulding:

"He began to think it was high time to toe the mark."

Pauling was using the figurative rather than literal meaning of the phrase, i.e. to 'toe the mark' was to conform to a set standard.

Going back to the original, literal 'toeing' of a line; there are many circumstances where one might place one's toes up to a line - the start of a sporting event, standing in formation on parade, etc, etc. So, which is the source of the phrase?

I believe that the phrase "to toe the line" refers to the lines drawn in front of the respective front benches in the House of Commons (the distance between which is two swords lengths apart) thus ensuring that honourable members who toed the line could not engage in physical conflict. It is the foundation of the debating skills for which the House was once rightly renowned (though perhaps less so today).

Could be bunkum but it's what they tell you on visits to the Houses of Parliament

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Majority of MP's stroll about Parliament with nowt to do except go throught the correct corridor to vote (as told to vote,so no need to decide on too much),make contacts for next job,fiddle expenses ,get consultancy job for extra pay and pitch up in the constituency to listen to disgruntled locals.

Then,of course,there's the fact finding mission to Tahiti or wherever.

Don't do it. It sucks.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I believe that the phrase "to toe the line" refers to the lines drawn in front of the respective front benches in the House of Commons (the distance between which is two swords lengths apart) thus ensuring that honourable members who toed the line could not engage in physical conflict. It is the foundation of the debating skills for which the House was once rightly renowned (though perhaps less so today).

Could be bunkum but it's what they tell you on visits to the Houses of Parliament

It's actually true !

Meanwhile, I don't know why anyone would want to become a police officer, teacher or social worker, considering the crap they have to put up with these days. And even staff in our hospitals are increasingly subject to foul-mouthed abuse and physical assault from scummy members of 'the great British public'.

This country becomes chavvier and more boorish all the time. Too many people have no self-respect, nor any respect for others, but aggressively demand respect. :tosser:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I'm currently doing an internship for an MP at Westminster and I can confirm, their case anyway, it is ALOT of work..

There are the select committees you are a member of which you have to go to and be prepared for and contribute to. There are all parliamentary groups(cross party) where you do the same.

Not to mention the smaller scale constituency surgeries right up to working alongside local councils to back regeneration schemes and chasing up ministers to ensure your constituency gets its fair share.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Because my moat needs dredging!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
You get to sleepover at
widdecombe.jpg

Pad

siclean

ex hollingbury
Apr 14, 2009
to campaign to bring back hanging
to campaign to jail anyone caught with knife for 5 yr min
to campaign to have anyone caught driving and using mobile banned for 2 yrs ..yes 2 yrs. lets not pussyfoot about !!
to campaign to have drunks in street who get into fights etc pay for any medical care they have
to campaign to have burgalars jailed for min 20 yrs
thats just the start
anyone fancy voting for me ????? :bigwave:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
my boy was doing a government project and wrote to our mp and asked him that very same question. he got back a very detailed response. email your mp and ask them. you might be surprised at the answer. it wasn't the stock i want to serve the community, change things for the better sort of thing. he came across as a power crazed egomaniac.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
my boy was doing a government project and wrote to our mp and asked him that very same question. he got back a very detailed response. email your mp and ask them. you might be surprised at the answer. it wasn't the stock i want to serve the community, change things for the better sort of thing. he came across as a power crazed egomaniac.

Who was the MP in question?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
michael mates. he did write something in support of falmer when you all had everyone contact their mp and we did that, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here