Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why WEST HAM should have had points deducted

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've had a skiff over the transcript of the West Ham hearing, and just cannot believe how the FAPL have BOTTLED this whole decision. Here's the crux.
(ok, it was a slow afternoon and I was BORED)

On 8th September Mr Scudamore (FAPL) met Mr Aldridge (WHU's CEO) in order to seek clarification and confirmation of the position. Unsurprisingly, he wanted to know how the clubs had got these players so cheaply and whether or not there was any documentation of any sort in respect of these players which the FAPL had not seen. He received a categorical assurance that there was no such documentation and the players had come to the club as part of the takeover by Mr Joorabchian; that they had reached a gentlemen's agreement whereby the players would be released by the club for a modest fee if the takeover did not take place. Thus the FAPL, relying on these assurances, believed that no Rules had been breached. Both players were registered to play for West Ham.

What we believe to have occurred here is that Messrs Brown, Aldridge and Duxbury were anxious to complete the registration of these players by the deadline of 31st August. They knew that the only means by which they could acquire them would be by entering into the third party contracts. Equally, they were aware that the FAPL, at the very least, may not -- and in all probability would not -- have approved of such contracts. They determined to keep their existence from the FAPL. In the case of the third element of the breach of Rule B13, namely the conversation between Mr Scudamore and Mr Aldridge, there is no dispute. There is no evidence, whether direct or circumstantial, to impinge upon the former's account of which he made a contemporaneous record. Thus, an officer of the club, its chief executive officer, told Mr Scudamore a direct lie, namely there was no documentation of whatever kind in respect of these players which the FAPL had not seen.

So here we have a serious breach of FAPL rules, and the clubs (then) Chief Executive deliberately and knowingly LYING to the FAPL in order to cover up that breach. As a result, West Ham have had the services of two Argentinian internationals to help in their battle against relegation. So how the HELL have the FAPL arrived at the following conclusions ?

Some clubs, here perhaps those who are locked in the relegation battle with West Ham, may be of the view that only a points deduction would be appropriate. Here, we have finally come to the view that a deduction of points would not be proportionate punishment. We have taken the following factors into account:

1. The club's pleas of guilty. (woo hoo)

2. The fact that the club is under new ownership and management. True it is that Mr Duxbury remains, but we are impressed by Mr Sturman's point that Mr Magnusson could have cynically dispensed with his services so as to reflect more favourably upon the club. (What ? Magnusson has stuck by Duxbury, the Legal & Commercial Director at WHU who knowingly and willingly DECEIVED the FAPL, and the FAPL bigwigs have somehow been "IMPRESSED" by this ? Am I missing something ?)

3. Had the club in time made disclosure of the third party contracts to the FAPL, then, in all probability, contracts could have been entered into which would not have offended the Rules. Mr Mascherano
is playing football for Liverpool. He is doing so pursuant to a contract entirely different in form to these contracts, and which has been approved by the FAPL. We have no reason to suspect that the same could not have been achieved with West Ham in August 2006.
(Irrelevent. The fact is, WHU chose NOT to disclose it in August for fear of not being able to strike up such an arrangement with the FAPL in time, and losing out on Tevez and Mascherano as a result. They could have gone about it the right way, but chose not to. The fact that Liverpool went about it the right way in January does not absolve WHU for lying their way through the initial transfer last August).

4. There has been a delay between the discovery of these breaches and these proceedings. Whilst that delay is due to no party's fault (EH ?), the consequence is that a points deduction, say in January, whilst unwelcome, would have been somewhat easier to bear than a points deduction today which would have consigned the club to certain relegation. (A just punishment is an appropriate punishment - its severity cannot be tempered according to whether the timing of it is more "convenient" or not. The whole idea of a punishment is that its not SUPPOSED to be "easy to bear", thats the POINT ffs).

5. Tevez has continued to play for the club after the discovery of these breaches. The FAPL had the power to have then terminated his registration. For understandable reasons, they did not. (What "understandable" reasons are they then ?? He should NOT have been playing !!) Had it not been for these proceedings, the club and the FAPL might have reached a similar situation to that pertaining to Liverpool and Mascherano. Tevez, we note, has played in more games post-24th January than before it. (See responses to point 3 - this is a complete irrelevence).

6. We have considered the position of the players and the fans. They are in no way to blame for this situation. Of course, if the impact upon players and fans was to be the overriding consideration, there may never be a deduction of points. However, in this case, the fans and the players have been fighting against relegation. They have been doing so from between January and April. They have been so doing against the ever-present threat of a deduction of points. Those efforts and that loyalty would be to no avail were we to now, on what might be termed the eve of the end of the season, to deduct points. (Tell that to the players and fans of the clubs who have ALSO been battling against relegation - one of whom could well go down whilst WHU survive, having cheated the FAPL and every other playing club in it. As well as The Albion, of course).

7. It was Mr Igoe, thus the club, then under new ownership, who brought attention to these breaches. (But only after the FAPL contacted all the PL clubs in January asking about any arrangements with 3rd parties that might breach rule U18. They didn't volunteer this info - they were, to all intents and purposes, RUMBLED)

Thus we do not order any deduction of points

No - thus you OBSOLVE yourselves from taking the appropriate actions by giving a points deduction, you mealy-mouthed bunch of SHYSTERS

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've been saying the same on here for a while, having read the transcript the day it was published.

The most bizarre bit is regarding leniancy towards the club because the new owners hadn't got rid one of employees responsible...

WHAT ?

I had to re-read it a few times and still didn't make sense of it.

FA: Your employee has done something very bad.

West Ham: Yes we know

FA: Have you sacked him ?

West Ham: No

FA: Well done, good show all round, we'll just brush over what they did then ?

West Ham: Thank you very much..

FA: No, thank you.. mint imperial ?

West Ham: Don't mind if I do

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Ernest said:
I think after Sundays games unless West Ham are relegated the writs are going to be flying.
I wonder if Man U are tonking West Ham would Sheff U contrive to lose 1-0 to Wigan thus relegating the Hammers ?

to be honest it wouldnt suprise me, im also guessing there will be one hell of a party at bramall lane for one set of fans - sure the police will be busy

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ernest said:
I think after Sundays games unless West Ham are relegated the writs are going to be flying.
I wonder if Man U are tonking West Ham would Sheff U contrive to lose 1-0 to Wigan thus relegating the Hammers ?

I think that could happen, thus starting another issue....

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The football authorities have always been a bunch of tossers. They should have stopped the players from playing until they were satisfied that everything was above board.

To let those players play for months and then decide that there was something wrong just compounds the whole thing.

Serves them right if things do end up in court but this could ruin the game.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Well we all had our doubts over the good that would come out of this deal.

I never knew it would turn out like this however.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Freddie Goodwin. said:

Serves them right if things do end up in court but this could ruin the game.

I believe a precedent was set with Steve Foster that a club cannot sue the FA or their league because when joining they have signed to agree to the decisions of their governing body and thus signed away their right to go to court unless the rule breaches any civil or criminal law. This incident breaches neither civil nor criminal law.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I believe a precedent was set with Steve Foster that a club cannot sue the FA or their league because when joining they have signed to agree to the decisions of their governing body and thus signed away their right to go to court unless the rule breaches any civil or criminal law. This incident breaches neither civil nor criminal law.

Interesting in that Tevez contract would appear unenforceable under UK law.

I think the above is different to be honest.

Steve Foster was questioning an existing rule.

The other clubs are questioning the punishment for a rule which has been proved to have been broken.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
clapham_gull said:
Interesting in that Tevez contract would appear unenforceable under UK law.

I think the above is different to be honest.

Steve Foster was questioning an existing rule.

The other clubs are questioning the punishment for a rule which has been proved to have been broken.

I would think that if as the judge said with Foster the FA/Football League are autonomous then that would follow for any punishment and any decision made.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Eggert Biscuit stuck his head out of his tortoise shell yeasterday and said that the other clubs calling for points deduction, or at least a challenge to the risible decision by the prem, are just bitter because the Hammers have got themselves into a position where they can beat the drop...yeah? well, dickhead, the only reason you aren't down already is because of a player who was and possibly is still ineligible, so it shouldn't even be an issue, you should already be booking your next season trips to Leicester and Coventry. What is the f***ing point of punishing West Ham finanacially for gaining an unfair advantage on the field of play? surely sporting infringements need a sporting penalty?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
Eggert Biscuit stuck his head out of his tortoise shell yeasterday and said that the other clubs calling for points deduction, or at least a challenge to the risible decision by the prem, are just bitter because the Hammers have got themselves into a position where they can beat the drop...yeah? well, dickhead, the only reason you aren't down already is because of a player who was and possibly is still ineligible, so it shouldn't even be an issue, you should already be booking your next season trips to Leicester and Coventry. What is the f***ing point of punishing West Ham finanacially for gaining an unfair advantage on the field of play? surely sporting infringements need a sporting penalty?

Well said, even more pointless when you consider the fine will be more than paid off with TV money if they stay up, God I hate West Ham.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I bet the FA are now wishing they had deducted them 3 points a couple of weeks ago. Sure, you'd have people complaining about leniancy, but a points deduction is a points deduction so at least they wouldn't have been accused of sweeping the issue under the carpet and legally, the other clubs wouldn't then have had a leg to stand on.

The problem is that if they go to court arguing that a points deduction is the only fair way, and West Ham escape by 4 points, then a resulting 3 point deduction after the season finishes would then appear to be a total cop out.

The FA have f***ed up royally. This is going to court unless West Ham go down this weekend.

But hold on ...

West Ham are a FAMOUS club that Bobby Moore used to play for. And Trevor Brooking. And Frank Lampard. Who has something to do with Chelsea, doesn't he?

And Wigan is a music-hall joke of a place, where they play Rugby League.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Lord Bracknell said:
But hold on ...

West Ham are a FAMOUS club that Bobby Moore used to play for. And Trevor Brooking. And Frank Lampard. Who has something to do with Chelsea, doesn't he?

And Wigan is a music-hall joke of a place, where they play Rugby League.

Well said that man.....at last the voice of reason. Have you ever thought oftrying to become a councillor

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Simster said:
I bet the FA are now wishing they had deducted them 3 points a couple of weeks ago. Sure, you'd have people complaining about leniancy, but a points deduction is a points deduction so at least they wouldn't have been accused of sweeping the issue under the carpet and legally, the other clubs wouldn't then have had a leg to stand on.

The problem is that if they go to court arguing that a points deduction is the only fair way, and West Ham escape by 4 points, then a resulting 3 point deduction after the season finishes would then appear to be a total cop out.

The FA have f***ed up royally. This is going to court unless West Ham go down this weekend.

Indeed it is, I hope that Man Utd, Sheff and Wigan come to an arangement that means justice is done.
This was the best Premiership season up until a week or so ago.

Also its safe to say if it goes to Court the top four, Everton and the other two teams that get the Uefa cup spot will not be happy.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
It's a flipping scandal - whatever league they play next year the rival fans should always let the hammers know what we think of them - they are a bunch of cheating lying scum!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Mr Tevez's alleged owners are allegedly trying to sell him in Italy for circa £30m.

West Ham are not involved because they are not his owners,allegedly.

Mr Tevez is,of course,an innocent party here.But his "club" have played him in contradiction of the laws of football,allegedly.

If it had been Wrexham doing this,they would be in the Conference by now.

But it's the alleged giants of the east end.So game ,set,match to the Whammers,innit? ***

*** certain riders and cop outs have been inserted in the hope of avoiding expensive litigation by the alleged cheats.

Oh,and E&OE.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The only consolation is that as Man Utd. will be presented with the premiership trophy on Saturday they will not want to get done by West Ham at home before that, so will likely give it a proper go- especially as West Ham have spoiled Fergies parties in the past.

If I was Warnock and Jewell I would definitely be tipping each other the wink if Man Utd were, say, 3 nil up with 5 minutes to play.

Can't see it though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Bevendean Hillbilly said:
The only consolation is that as Man Utd. will be presented with the premiership trophy on Saturday they will not want to get done by West Ham at home before that, so will likely give it a proper go- especially as West Ham have spoiled Fergies parties in the past.

If I was Warnock and Jewell I would definitely be tipping each other the wink if Man Utd were, say, 3 nil up with 5 minutes to play.

Can't see it though.

I can, If both clubs are safe.

Both Parties have not been silent on the matter have they!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here