Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was Will Hoskins singled out for abuse by The Albion fans?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
is singing "sign him up, sign him up" regarded as abuse?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
That was us. If you were on the terrace anyway. The main reason was because he had bleach blond hair like Colchester's Perkins, who annoyed us playing for Stockport last year. We spent the Colchester game having a go at Perkins, so did the same with Hoskins.

Immature? Yes. No good reason? Yes. Was it funny? Probably not. But we had fun which is surely the point of away days.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Some of our chanting was bloody embarrassing yesterday, "that's why you're going down" and "easy easy". FFS gloating to a team 23 places below us in the league, it should have been easy. Christ, some of you morons have short memories, we were in that position a couple of years ago. By all means take the piss when we are thrashing one of our promotoion rivals, but it's undignifed to do it against a struggling and harmless team like Bristol Rovers!

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Some of our chanting was bloody embarrassing yesterday, "that's why you're going down" and "easy easy". FFS gloating to a team 23 places below us in the league, it should have been easy. Christ, some of you morons have short memories, we were in that position a couple of years ago. By all means take the piss when we are thrashing one of our promotoion rivals, but it's undignifed to do it against a struggling and harmless team like Bristol Rovers!

Nail on head !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hoskins was singled out for abuse. The keeper got it in the neck though!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The 'easy easy' chant is absolutely ridiculous. We should never sing this Soccer AM bullshit.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon

This.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
may i also add "we're f***ing brilliant" to the blacklist? "cringe*

:facepalm:

You certainly can. It was good at Peterborough when we had torn a promotion rival apart but other than that it is a terrible chant, displaying disgusting arrogance.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hoskins wasn't abused by the fans behind the goal (as far as I can remember), if fact we were chanting to sign him up!

It doesn't really matter though, giving the opposition some abuse is part of the fun. Its usually the oppositions best player that cops it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
You certainly can. It was good at Peterborough when we had torn a promotion rival apart but other than that it is a terrible chant, displaying disgusting arrogance.

I think this chant would have died a death by now had Poyet not mentioned that it was his favourite chant!

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex
may i also add "we're f***ing brilliant" to the blacklist? "cringe*

:facepalm:

That's Gus' favourite chant!

I don't have a problem with that. When we sang it at Peterborough we were 3-0 up and it was true. I don't think it was particularly aimed at Posh fans, I think we were simply telling our players and management that we appreciated how well we were playing.

Last edited:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'd endorse the sentiments on here about some of our singing. We all slaughtered the plastics at Reading a few seasons back when they were on their way to the top flight, but a bit of success seems to be going to some heads here in the same way.

You'd have thought that, given where we've been and what we've suffered, we'd have the humility to enjoy success for its own sake rather than at the expense of somebody else.

Unless it's Palace, of course.

The 'easy easy' chant is absolutely ridiculous. We should never sing this Soccer AM bullshit.

I take it you didn't join in when the players were doing it at the end of the win at Palace a few years ago then? Soccer AM? I'm pretty sure it was Big Daddy that started it in the 80s (or even earlier).

And what's wrong with 'That's why you're going down'? It's BANTER, what football's all about. They'd sure do the same to us.

Last edited:

I'd endorse the sentiments on here about some of our singing. We all slaughtered the plastics at Reading a few seasons back when they were on their way to the top flight, but a bit of success seems to be going to some heads here in the same way.

You'd have thought that, given where we've been and what we've suffered, we'd have the humility to enjoy success for its own sake rather than at the expense of somebody else.

Unless it's Palace, of course.

Oh come off it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with giving the opposition grief (with the boundaries of the law/ decency of course). Just because we've been through some hard times in the past doesn't mean we should only ever sing pro-Albion songs and always politely clap the other side.

Chanting 'Going down' to a relegation-threatened team does not mean you won't sign a petition/throw a couple of quid in a bucket if that club found themselves in trouble.

Are you quite sure that football terraces are the place for you?! Perhaps you should follow games on the radio so your ears aren't so easily offended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here