Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was Knight applauded off like a hero?

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
He cost us any chance of the game, but still gets a hero's reception as he walks to the tunnel, why is that?

First foul, ok he could well have been unlucky, but theres no-one on here who can say it was a DEFINITE penalty because we werent that close, also its a shame to say, but he's made the reputation for himself with all his diving, so refs are gonna be watching the whole time.

Then he catches the bloke late, a needless thing to do, born out of frustration that in any other team in this division he would get something called service from his midfield.

BUT he doesnt deserve to get a huge round of applause for that!

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Beeneys gloves said:
but theres no-one on here who can say it was a DEFINITE penalty because we werent that close

Were you in the home end then? I was under the impression that it occured right infront of us! How close do you need to be? On the pitch?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its one of my pet irritations as well, how opposition fans at Withdean give a standing ovation to someone who's been sent off. Remember the Wycombe player on Boxing Day who stupidly abused a linesman ? I think they were 1-0 down at the time, and then they go down to 10 men. Round of applause as the idiot leaves the field, leaving their team a player short for the remaining hour of the game and already chasing the match. 1-0 became 4-0, thanks very much. Think he really deserved to be applauded off ?

I wasn't there last night, so I dunno whether Leon deserved to go or not. I guess normally the applause is to show that the fans are with the player all the way, against a perceived "injustice" that has been served on him by sending him off. But I'd agree, Beeney, it seems pretty daft to applaude a player for getting himself sent off.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
There was no question that the first was a definite penalty. It was far more blatant than the one given for Luton. Leon had his feet taken from under him just as he was shaping up to shoot. He had no need to dive since he was clean through

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I was in the away end, only a few rows away, but unless u are right next to them, you can't say it was an absolute cast iron pen, people are saying 'there was definite contact' how do they know that?

I thought Virgo's one was much more blatant, but alas those are never given :(

Padders

Jul 5, 2003
Cheadle Hulme
We were too far away from the second one, but it is quite easy to catch a defender unintentionally if you go to block the ball and the defenders foot then catches your outstretched boot on the follow through.

So Leon may well have been unlucky with the second booking too.

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
He was clapped off because by that time nobody believed anything the ref did - and it was a cast iron died in the wood absolute cert pen!
wcnige

Easy 10 said:
Its one of my pet irritations as well, how opposition fans at Withdean give a standing ovation to someone who's been sent off.
Precisely.

Giving Leon a standing ovation was primarily a way of pissing off the Luton fans.

Which, at the time, was fair game.

In the cold light of morning, we might feel different about it.

Actually on this occasion I don't. That first booking was disgraceful.

Seagullmatt

Feb 8, 2004
Goring by Sea
What about the handball that happened right in front of the ref in the first half?
He was inconsistant too. He should have booked one of theirs in the first half for diving in the box after he'd booked Leon for the same offence.
I haven't been so wound up since Mr Prosser last came to the Withdean.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Our mini-bus full last night were not at all pleased with him and this attitude has been building up.

First booking was very harsh but his reputation precedes him I'm afraid. How many times has he dived in exactly those situations ? you cannot tell me the referee was not forewarned of this fact and acted accordingly. The second booking I can't comment on as it was too far away. BUT their players were certainly incensed about something and Leon departed without too much fuss.

Bless him for his goals but I'm afraid a lot us think Leon does not graft hard enough in certain situations (take QPR, Plymouth even but especially last night).

Our criticism focussed on how he seems to go into his shell whenever decisions go against him. In these situations he slows his workrate right down, stops showing for the ball and tries to be too flash when the ball does reach him directly. Occassionally there is some act of petulance that accompanies this childishness and he ends up in the book, substituted, or off.

Compare to their lad up front (whose name I won't even attempt) who is playing for expenses only. Superb performance I thought.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Harold said:
Our mini-bus full last night were not at all pleased with him and this attitude has been building up.

First booking was very harsh but his reputation precedes him I'm afraid. How many times has he dived in exactly those situations ? you cannot tell me the referee was not forewarned of this fact and acted accordingly. The second booking I can't comment on as it was too far away. BUT their players were certainly incensed about something and Leon departed without too much fuss.

Bless him for his goals but I'm afraid a lot us think Leon does not graft hard enough in certain situations (take QPR, Plymouth even but especially last night).

Our criticism focussed on how he seems to go into his shell whenever decisions go against him. In these situations he slows his workrate right down, stops showing for the ball and tries to be too flash when the ball does reach him directly. Occassionally there is some act of petulance that accompanies this childishness and he ends up in the book, substituted, or off.

Compare to their lad up front (whose name I won't even attempt) who is playing for expenses only. Superb performance I thought.

Suggested strategy for McGhee:

1. Buy their no 16 straightaway (or at least get a scout to watch him at Wycombe on Sat)
2. Sort Knight out. I cheered him off, but that was because I was so wound up by the ref, and I didn't see the incident that got him the second yellow
3. PLEASE get a midfield! (I first asked Adams to do this in about 1999, and it's not been sorted since!)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bobby Z used to do that. Seemingly aimless and disinterested and then he pop up with a couple of goals.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
On Radio Five Live the reporter said that he had rarely seen such a clear cut penalty (to us) as when Knight was booked for diving. He suggested that if the referee ever wants a holiday by the coast that he does not choose Brighton - he would be advised to go somewhere else, such as Cleethorpes!

Damn right I applauded him off. The first booking was absolutely pathetic and even if the second challenge was a little rash it was only a booking, meaning he would have stayed on the pitch. Be under illusions, on this occasion the referee was the bad guy.

However, I don't agree with blindly clapping players off if they've been red-carded. Take Nathan Jones at Swindon. Horrendous challenge, foot over the ball etc. Full deserved to walk and I couldn't believe people were clapping him off.

Guess some people will clap the players regardless of what they do. Probably the same people that clapped the team off at Stoke and Palace away last season.

What pisses me off is this 'given his reputation, it's no surprise he doesn't get anything' attitude. Everytime leon has been pulled up and booked it has been completely unjustified (ie QPR and apparently last night). The guy is small that's why he goes down a lot. I think refs are just lazy hear the reputation and predetermine whether they think anyone has dived and act accordingly.

Here's a player trying to score a lot of goals for us (and succeeding nicely thank you very much) and what thanks does he get, a load of abuse from some of his own supporters. He gets kicked from pillar to post every week and it wouldn't surprise me if he really hacked off at the moment as he is now going to miss a game because a ref refused to believe his own eyes!

In common with ALL players he may try it on, on the odd occasion, but that doesn't make him a cheat. He is not.

We should be sticking up for him and giving support not providing ammunition for the myopic reffing fraternity.

woodster

Jul 18, 2003
errrr.

we clapped him off because he was wearing the blue and white stripes for a start!! (ok, yellow on this occasion) but you know where i am coming from.

he is a frustrating player to watch at the best of times but quite obviously the idiot refs have decided to have it in for him. yes that could have been his own fault, but last night was a penalty with out a doubt - regardless of reputation!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
In my opinion he was brought down for his alleged diving, and by the way the blocking incident on Virgo was a blatant foul, so should never have received his first yellow. As for the second card, I'll be honest I didn't see it so I'll go with the ref. Therefore applauding him for going off when he shouldn't have was the best option.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
A lot has been said about the referees performance last night and I do normally try to defend them but he definatly got two decisons wrong.

Virgo was definately impeded, an indirect free kick at worst and Leon definately had his heels clipped - it was right in front of us and I have seen the TV replay.

I would say that having seen the TV replay of the foul at the other end it looked at bad tackle and totally deserved at least a booking.

Their penalty was marginal and the forward was looking for it but we cant really have any complaints and it certainly didnt warrant the over reaction of our "boys" trying to get on the pitch (muppets)

Oh and i too get annoyed by red carded players being applauded off but I did it last night but since when have we ever been rational!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here