Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the rising price of TV football is bad for all of us

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
this arguement is the same arse backwards nonsence as the article. you dont "inevitably" have to pay more, because you dont *have* to subscribe to the new services.

It's not an argument it's a fact, 2 subscriptions are inevitably more expensive than 1..........the (other) fact that this position has been created for consumers because the EC decided to impose competition rules on the Premier League is even more galling. More competition should drive prices down, but that is not working here is it, and why is it that the same principle of competition has not been imposed on UEFA?

Of course, you are absolutely right, if you don't want to subscribe to SKY, BT or whatever then you don't have to, which is cool.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Nope, BBC is a public service IMO, in the same way as the NHS or schools. I wouldn't elect to opt out of my taxes going to pay for those services just because I have private medical insurance and sent my kids to private schools.

But it isn't like tax now is it, you can already opt out if you don't have a TV or if you are a pensioner?

Fact is that in these days where there is ever more ways to access media globally the licence fee is just an insult. There is absolutely no reason at all in a free thinking democratic society why consumers should not have the ability to chose which media platforms they want to pay to access or not pay. I have that choice with SKY and BT, why not the BBC?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's not an argument it's a fact, 2 subscriptions are inevitably more expensive than 1.

i didnt realise there was compulsion to take out all subscriptions.

as far as i can see price is driven down. before i would have had to subscribe to sky and sky sports to watch any premiership football, at cost of £45. now i pay for BT broadband for £16, £2 more than previous provider. how is £45 to £2 (or even £31 if took new BT line and broadband) not driving down prices?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

as far as i can see price is driven down. before i would have had to subscribe to sky and sky sports to watch any premiership football, at cost of £45. now i pay for BT broadband for £16, £2 more than previous provider. how is £45 to £2 (or even £31 if took new BT line and broadband) not driving down prices?

you have no way to watch BT Sport without either a sky or bt tv subscription though - it doesnt just unscramble on freeview

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I believe they are sending Sky a clear message they intend to aggressively muscle in and beat Sky at their own game over TV sports rights. Sky will have a battle to retain the percentage of Premier League matches it currently has because EU competition rules stipulate the rights deal has to be split up into segments.

But what if one channel signals its not interested and value of the game is dropped dramatically as the other lowers their price in this 'competitive market'. Such things have happened before.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

There isn't a compulsion and you don't.........where have I said there is?

If however I want to watch ALL the televised premiership football I will need to subscribe to both SKY and BT. It has previously been SKY and ESPN and before that SKY and Setanta. Before competition though and it was just SKY............just the one subscription. As SKY never reduced their prices competition has therefore put prices up.

Furthermore, if competition was imposed on the Premier League because the EC were concerned about exclusivity of the televised rights being sold to one provide why would that principle not equally apply to UEFA and their sale of rights for the CL?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
you have no way to watch BT Sport without either a sky or bt tv subscription though - it doesnt just unscramble on freeview

you can watch it for "free" on BT broadband. i've got my PC plugged into the TV, so little different to having a set top box (there is some quality difference)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But it isn't like tax now is it, you can already opt out if you don't have a TV or if you are a pensioner?

Fact is that in these days where there is ever more ways to access media globally the licence fee is just an insult. There is absolutely no reason at all in a free thinking democratic society why consumers should not have the ability to chose which media platforms they want to pay to access or not pay. I have that choice with SKY and BT, why not the BBC?

By your own definition you have that choice.....if you choose to subscribe to Sky and watch it via your computer, and commit to not using the iPlayer.

The BBC does have a public service remit, and delivers this via facilities such as the World Service and local radio. It has flaws, but these are far outweighed by its merits.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
If however I want to watch ALL the televised premiership football I will need to subscribe to both SKY and BT. It has previously been SKY and ESPN and before that SKY and Setanta. Before competition though and it was just SKY............just the one subscription. As SKY never reduced their prices competition has therefore put prices up.

thats a massive "if". if i want to try ALL the beers available in the pub, i'd have to buy them all. are you saying having to buy two pints rather than one is pushing prices up? of course not. could apply this to anything from chocolate bars to cars. you wouldnt says competition is driving up the price of those things, shirley? where does the assumption come from that with football that you have to consume ALL the choices available?

the fact that its not applied to UEFA is beside the point, though i agree its not right or consistant and may well change.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's not true - it's available on Virgin TV. I watched the rugby the other day even though I have neither Sky or BT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here