Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the Murray penalty should have been retaken

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
The player should have been sent of, and the pen should have been tucked away. Lets hope we have the luck in the league games...the ones that will get us out of this league.

ozspike

Sep 5, 2003
Perth Australia
my point is, the ref has a hard job with lots of gray areas which come down to his judgment, but when it comes to penalty's rule 14 is very clear
The defending goalkeeper: "remains on his goalline, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked " the fact that most of the posters think this pen was OK shows that this rule is not being enforced, the rule doesn't say its OK to move forward a bit. the penalty is supposed to favor the attacking side and the fact that so many are saved nowadays is because this rule is being let to slide.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Looked like a soft penalty to start, the main reason it should have been retaken is to have let someone have a go.

Since Forster, crofts and Virgo have gone I cannot gauge who are the best/natural penalty takers in our first team squad, my guess for the this season would be:

Sandaza
Bennett
Sparrow
Kish
Lua Lua
Murray
Calderon
Dicker

However I have probably only ever seen Murray take them (and miss them) before so have no idea if anyone else has taken them for previous clubs before.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
my point is, the ref has a hard job with lots of gray areas which come down to his judgment, but when it comes to penalty's rule 14 is very clear
The defending goalkeeper: "remains on his goalline, facing the kicker, between the goalposts until the ball has been kicked " the fact that most of the posters think this pen was OK shows that this rule is not being enforced, the rule doesn't say its OK to move forward a bit. the penalty is supposed to favor the attacking side and the fact that so many are saved nowadays is because this rule is being let to slide.

I agree with this. If the rules arn't being enforced, then whats the point of having them ? It just leads to more and more grey areas and inconsistencies.

There was a penalty last season which Forster had saved (in the same goal as it happens). The goalie was practically on the six yard line when Forster hit it, and I think it would have been an equaliser or a winner, ie it bloody MATTERED ! The reason goalies move off their line and defenders encroach is because 99 times out of 100 they know they'll get away with it, so they take the piss.

Either apply the rules, or scrap them.

looks worse in the next frame as the ball is kicked.
picture.php

After the ball has been kicked, your illustration is nullified. If the opposing players could run fast enough, they could build a wall in front of goal once the ball has been played.

ozspike

Sep 5, 2003
Perth Australia
I agree with this. If the rules arn't being enforced, then whats the point of having them ? It just leads to more and more grey areas and inconsistencies.

There was a penalty last season which Forster had saved (in the same goal as it happens). The goalie was practically on the six yard line when Forster hit it, and I think it would have been an equaliser or a winner, ie it bloody MATTERED ! The reason goalies move off their line and defenders encroach is because 99 times out of 100 they know they'll get away with it, so they take the piss.

Either apply the rules, or scrap them.

correct my pic from last year
picture.php

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cheers ozspike, thats the one.
Keeper charging off his line and just the FOUR defenders encroaching then. Well done everyone.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Encroaching is a pretty daft thing to do anyway. Statistically, there must be far more goals conceded due to retaken missed pens than goals saved due to the defender being first to the rebound, even with the lax application of this rule.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
It was never a penalty in the first place. Looked to me like a dive.
Agreed - Murray was halfway down before the player touched him.

When the ref blew his whistle I thought he was going to book him for diving.

IMO the ref had a stinker - booking players for things that weren't bookable offences and vice versa.

I mean, booking a player for taking a free kick too early - is that REALLY a bookable offence? Then, once he had given the penalty for us, he should have booked/sent off the defender but didn't.

Not playing the advantage cost us a goal and enabled them to break away and score theirs.

The fact that the ref was shocking doesn't detract from the fact that we didn't play well enough to win. Or did Gus' attitude to the JPT competition rub off on the players?!?!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
it was a shit penalty, get over it!

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Looked like a soft penalty to start, the main reason it should have been retaken is to have let someone have a go.

Since Forster, crofts and Virgo have gone I cannot gauge who are the best/natural penalty takers in our first team squad, my guess for the this season would be:

Sandaza
Bennett
Sparrow
Kish
Lua Lua
Murray
Calderon
Dicker

However I have probably only ever seen Murray take them (and miss them) before so have no idea if anyone else has taken them for previous clubs before.

He is pretty good:
[yt]w22PY5j-D5w[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here