Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the HELL have ticket prices been frozen for next season?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Who took Keehans job ?

Did Paul Rodgers take over?

I don't believe that has been advised unless I have missed something. BTW Keehan was related to Dick Knight so read into that whatever you want :down:

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I don't believe that has been advised unless I have missed something. BTW Keehan was related to Dick Knight so read into that whatever you want :down:

That Dick is a good businessman and won't let personal issues affect a Business decision?

Good call if Keehan wasn't doing a good enough job!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It needs a really dynamic mind to do this ........

Looks like your application has fallen at the first hurdle then Steward 433 :lol:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.... Also the club have always been very poor at actively selling to its market. There is no excuse for the marketing department to fail to sell 8,000 tickets to the population of Sussex. Its time they did it, no excuses

Totally agree. The marketing and ticketing side is an absolute joke. Part of it is still geared to when we first moved to Withdean and used to sell out so the club could afford to have a more cavalier attitude towards sales. Now they need to pull every trick in the book - including massive reductions as per the Gillingham game last season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ticketing and marketing come under the responsibilities of two different people, although - I think - the ticketing manager ultimately reports to the marketing manager, and both report to the managing director. Paul Rogers was given Kevin Keehan's old job six weeks ago.

I suspect things will improve under his tenure.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Marketing clearly needs some attention.

but, adult ticket prices are the same as in 2002/03. Under 21 prices, which I assume WW qualifies for, are much lower.

These prices are INFLATION BUSTING. Or so the Season Ticket price table says :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which aspect of marketing?

The aspect that involves larges swathes of the population of Sussex, being completely unaware of the Albion's existance.

Marketing to the existing customers, isn't bad, but that's not really the point, is it?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The aspect that involves larges swathes of the population of Sussex, being completely unaware of the Albion's existance.

Marketing to the existing customers, isn't bad, but that's not really the point, is it?

Actually, it's one of the crucial points. Winning new customers is one thing, retaining them is another.

And to be honest, the Albion's best marketing is on the pitch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Marketing clearly needs some attention.

but, adult ticket prices are the same as in 2002/03. Under 21 prices, which I assume WW qualifies for, are much lower.

These prices are INFLATION BUSTING. Or so the Season Ticket price table says :thumbsup:

Which aspect of marketing?

Actually, it's one of the crucial points. Winning new customers is one thing, retaining them is another.

And to be honest, the Albion's best marketing is on the pitch.

Of course retaining us is important. I said that marketing needs attention, and clarified in which area. If they are getting one thing right, but not another, then that first statement is true.

Stop being OBTUSE

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I have never been a season ticket holder at Withdean. Overall I reckon I have attended 70% of the matches played there (stint at Uni put paid to a better record). But why have the club never tried to contact me to see if I am interested in a season ticket or with special offers to try and up my attendance rate? I have been to a few Sarries games and I bought my tickets once online. They have my address/email address and I often get emails/postcards with various offers. I even get a Valentines card from them. I know a few people who go a few times a season, but they have never been contacted by the club to try and entice them to return. There must be hundreds/thousands of people that have been to Withdean and that are not regulars. It is a business and they need to attract customers, but the club seems disinterested at times.

You make a very good point, Al, about the team winning back the fans, but if they are not doing that (certainly not over the last few years) then the club must not sit on their laurels on the premise that the fans will return should we begin to perform on the pitch regularly. There presence in Brighton & Hove is confined to a small shop and you very rarely see anything Brighton & Hove Albion outside of it. The return to Brighton was self-promoting. You saw lots of Albion shirts about and the club seemed to be at the heart of the city centre. They need to be in the face of the local residents and indeed those across Sussex. There must be plenty of schemes that would generate further interest.

This is EXACTLY the point Hans!

The Albion has NO visible profile in NW Sussex apart from on SCR.
There is no publicity anywhere about fixtures, how to get tickets, contacting the club, where the ground is etc.
I cannot remember when the West Sussex County Times (based in Horsham), or the Surrey Advertiser (from Guildford) last carried anything about the Club although the Argus (OK I know it's a daily and the others aren't) regularly reports sports news from throughout the County and beyond.
I'm sure other posters from around here (eg Titanic and Curious Orange) will make similar observations.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Of course retaining us is important. I said that marketing needs attention, and clarified in which area. If they are getting one thing right, but not another, then that first statement is true.

Stop being OBTUSE

Ah! So you're actually more talking about marketing tickets and ticket offers to people located in Brighton's hinterlands, as opposed to, say, marketing the club's replica shirts, or its community programme among the schools.

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

Personally, I think it a crime that there is not a Seagulls Shop in Worthing, Eastbourne, Haywards Heath/Burgess Hill - just for a starter.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Personally, I think it a crime that there is not a Seagulls Shop in Worthing, Eastbourne, Haywards Heath/Burgess Hill - just for a starter.

Or they tie up with a local sports retailer as I think an Albion only shop in these parts would not be economically viable.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Or they tie up with a local sports retailer as I think an Albion only shop in these parts would not be economically viable.

They tried that some time back in Broadwater, Worthing - with Ricky Sopp's sport shop... didn't last very long though :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We don't need additional shops as such. Why not just have some small ticket kiosks set up in town centres around Sussex. Chuck one in the middle of Churchill Square, Worthing, Eastbourne, HH, Shoreham High Street etc, along with a poster on the side of the kiosk advertising the upcoming home games, and lets SHIFT some tickets.

Not everyone can be arsed to apply on-line, or phone up, or trail out to the ticket office in Queens Road. So take the tickets out onto the streets in these kiosks and get in peoples FACES. Casual fans / passers-by who might not even know theres a game on that afternoon/evening or the following week will have the chance to buy a ticket there and then, at short notice or on a "yeah why not" kind of a whim. Maybe kids will see it and say to Dad "can we go to an Albion game ?"

The club definitely needs to be more pro-active in attracting the floating fans. This is as good a way as any I reckons.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We don't need additional shops as such. Why not just have some small ticket kiosks set up in town centres around Sussex. Chuck one in the middle of Churchill Square, Worthing, Eastbourne, HH, Shoreham High Street etc, along with a poster on the side of the kiosk advertising the upcoming home games, and lets SHIFT some tickets.

Not everyone can be arsed to apply on-line, or phone up, or trail out to the ticket office in Queens Road. So take the tickets out onto the streets in these kiosks and get in peoples FACES. Casual fans / passers-by who might not even know theres a game on that afternoon/evening or the following week will have the chance to buy a ticket there and then, at short notice or on a "yeah why not" kind of a whim. Maybe kids will see it and say to Dad "can we go to an Albion game ?"

The club definitely needs to be more pro-active in attracting the floating fans. This is as good a way as any I reckons.

OK so what about the security of the cash taken in the kiosk and the person selling the ticket ?

What if the customer wants to use a credit / debit card and no comms to do on-line authorisation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here