Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so much fecking talking on the radio?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Back from the USA for 10 days and had forgotten one of the most irritating aspects of radio in this country. Too much fecking talking!

Doesn't matter which station you tune into to listen to some music, there's some presenter talking about what he/she did yesterday (who gives a f***?) and taking calls from stupid, witless, boring people discussing their pointless lives. The worst I have heard over the past few days is that irritating yumpy from Northern Ireland, Patrick Keilty (sp?) who, apart having the most grating and objectional accent, was discussing swapping apples for oranges (or some such fecking nonsense) with callers. All I want to hear them do is introduce the next record and then shut the f*** up.

One thing about U.S. radio stations .... lots of choice ... and the music stations do what it says on the tin, they play music.

And another thing, why are there no oldies FM stations here?

Oh, and while I'm at it, every time I turned on the TV (which wasn't that often) that David Walliams and his mate the only gay in the village were on ... The One Ronnie (one decent sketch, the rest was crap), their airline show (not very funny), guests on Graham Norton, and Walliams wandering around Africa in some show about a charity thing. It they're the best the UK can now come up with for Xmas comedy, then things are in a pretty poor state. Bring back Eric and Ernie!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Ba humbug! :flameboun

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Doesn't matter which station you tune into to listen to some music, there's some presenter talking about what he/she did yesterday (who gives a f***?) and taking calls from stupid, witless, boring people discussing their pointless lives. The worst I have heard over the past few days is that irritating yumpy from Northern Ireland, Patrick Keilty (sp?) who, apart having the most grating and objectional accent, was discussing swapping apples for oranges (or some such fecking nonsense) with callers. All I want to hear them do is introduce the next record and then shut the f*** up.

Absolutely agree - gave up listening to the radio years ago because of this. Just give me the music! Trouble is now, if a new group like the Beatles came along, I'd be one of those ignorant oldies that had never heard of them.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Don't listen to commercial radio then - I am more than content to listen to R2, or just sign up to Spotify and listen to that.

BBC radio is just as bad - it's not just the adverts. And I can't get Spotify on my car radio, where I listen to most of my music. On CD.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Don't listen to commercial radio then - I am more than content to listen to R2, or just sign up to Spotify and listen to that.

Agreed. R2 is excellent.

Not too sure about American TV and radio, but I wonder if there are any non-commercial TV/radio options.

One thing I am aware of when it comes to American media, is the copious amounts of adverts that accompany the TV output.

As for the topic starter complaining about the poor UK versions, why not tune in via the internet for your American fix?

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
a bit more commentary and less "talking" this afternoon would suit me (Seagulls Player) have been switching to the Orient commentary to hear about the game!

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Having listened to plenty of U.S. radio in the past, I reckon BBC radio's 2,4 and 5 blow 95% of american radio out of the water.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
where you the one who got an announcement at the game for your birthday?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. R2 is excellent.

Not too sure about American TV and radio, but I wonder if there are any non-commercial TV/radio options.

One thing I am aware of when it comes to American media, is the copious amounts of adverts that accompany the TV output.

As for the topic starter complaining about the poor UK versions, why not tune in via the internet for your American fix?

It has been mostly R2 that I have been listening to. This morning for example two women going on about who the hell knows what (and more importantly, who cares) interspersed with some music tracks. And the only time I listen to the radio is in the car ... bit difficult to tune in via t'internet.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

R2 is fine apart from that annoying twat Chris Evans! Talks over every track, and is always going on about his wonderful life. Can't stand him. Fortunately received a DAB radio for Xmas and have discovered PlanetRock. Fab!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here