Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why oh Why ???

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
So, we managed to lose at home to a Championship side without scoring....meanwhile Crewe are sticking 4 in the back of Hull's net without reply ..
now I know "it's only a friendly", but is it not noticeable that in every department bar goalkeeper and strikers, subs were used ?? :shrug::shrug:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Sort of points toward a midtable, lower table finish, really.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
So, we managed to lose at home to a Championship side without scoring....meanwhile Crewe are sticking 4 in the back of Hull's net without reply ..
now I know "it's only a friendly", but is it not noticeable that in every department bar goalkeeper and strikers, subs were used ?? :shrug::shrug:

Oh my god - are you really being serious...Do you actually really think that ours, Hull's, Charlton & Crewe's season hinges on friendlies?

You REALLY know f*** all about football don't you

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
For fucks sake it's a friendly. It has f*** all to do with our season. It just goes to show how retarded some NSC posters are (not just the starter of this thread) when they are now moaning about pre-season friendlies and giving out player ratings.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
How many people think we'll get any points at Crewe? I'm not expecting to get anything. I also expect us to finish much lower in the table than we did last year.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
For fucks sake it's a friendly. It has f*** all to do with our season. It just goes to show how retarded some NSC posters are (not just the starter of this thread) when they are now moaning about pre-season friendlies and giving out player ratings.

and there is the voice of reason.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How many people think we'll get any points at Crewe? I'm not expecting to get anything. I also expect us to finish much lower in the table than we did last year.

Why ?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Whilst it doesnt matter and won't have any impact on our season. It still would of been bloody good if we'd shown a bit more promise.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Sort of points toward a midtable, lower table finish, really.

Not really, we defended fairly well against a side that will probably get promoted next year. Probably the strongest defence we have had to play in the last 3/4 years as well. This game makes NO difference to our season at all.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It did worry me a bit tho that apart from a brief 5 min flurry we did look awfully pedestrian gong forward. With only one or two chances of any note.

Now whether that was due to a well organised Charlton or our own players still not quite with it remains to be seen.

Im not too worried but we did lack a bit of shall we say "creativity".

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Stronger division this season, little midfield creativity, too many cheap, defensively minded signings, over reliance on old-hands for back-up.

:bigwave:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stronger division this season, little midfield creativity, too many cheap, defensively minded signings, over reliance on old-hands for back-up.

:bigwave:

Bloody hell !.....you could have a point or two there :shootself

See any positives ?

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Bloody hell it's only a friendly and we aren't going to be playing CHAMPIONSHIP teams in League 1 week in week out. :rolleyes:

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
It's a friendly FFS - Charlton are better than we are which is an unarguable fact since they are a division above us and are expected to be challenging this year. I was very impressed with two of their players - the number 3 with the dreads and their number 8 was it - Jonjo Shelvey. Yes we lacked a little bit of creativity in midfield but could that not be down to Charlton closing us down ? As we are not, as was mentioned above, going to be playing decent Championship sides week in week out I was quite pleased with the performance. I think we still need a back up striker or two though in case Murray or Forster get injured cos then we will be up shit creek without the proverbial paddle

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
hey French Mistress, when you sent that PM to my mailbox slagging me off, did you do it to the others on here that disagreed with you...by the way, still think you're talking rubbish :)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Read the report of the game.

Two goals inside 3 minutes - sucker punches. Inexperienced Hull side then chasing the game concede two more before half time. Hull side change completely for second half, Crewe do not - 0-0 in the second 45 minutes. Hull very poor according to their own reporter.

So yes - Crewe scored some goals. I'd be excited if I was one of their supporters, but this result needs to be taken with a bit of a pinch of salt, and we need to note that Zola is already in form!

Tigers Beaten At Crewe
Posted on: Sat 26 Jul 2008

The Tigers fell to their first defeat of the pre-season campaign this afternoon as they were soundly beaten 4-0 at Crewe Alexandra.

All the damage was done in the first half as a Calvin Zola hat-trick and one from Nicky Maynard left City facing a mountain that they were never going to climb, even with a fresh XI coming on for the second period.

With the sun beating down, it was the home side who made a lightning start as they hit the front after just two minutes. A cross into the back post wasn't dealt with well by Bernard Mendy and when the loose ball fell to Calvin Zola he could hardly miss.

It was a terrible start for City and got worse in the third minute as Crewe stunned them with a second goal. Once again the defending was less than impressive as Zola picked the ball up 25-yards out and as the City rearguard backed off he picked his spot before fizzing a shot past Bo Myhill into the bottom corner.

The Tigers were up against it and lacking any rhythm at all but had a chance to drag themselves back into the game in the 15th minute. Ashbee's long ball picked out Nick Barmby down the right channel and when he was bundled over by Julien Baudet, the referee pointed to the penalty spot. Mendy stepped up to take it but saw his effort saved low down by Crewe keeper Steve Collis.

Moments later, another opportunity came City's way as Garcia found space inside the box but he headed over. Then in the 26th minute, Nathan Doyle overlapped down the left side and crossed for Caleb Folan who steered his header well wide. It was then the home side's turn to go on the attack but it was from a Tigers' error. Ashbee got caught in possession 30-yards from his own goal and Nicky Maynard robbed him of the ball before firing just over with Myhill backpedalling.

The home side had a scare two minutes later as Collis misjudged a Halmosi corner but managed to claw the ball away at the last moment.
In the 37th minute, Crewe came within inches of making it 3-0 as Michael O'Connor let fly from 25-yards with a strike that hit the inside of the post and came out again. Eugen Bopp fired the ball back across goal and Myhill palmed it away at full stretch.

But the respite was only brief as in 40th minute, the home side did extend their lead. Bopp was upended by Mendy in the box and from the resulting penalty kick Maynard smashed the ball past Myhill giving him no chance. It was fast becoming embarrassing for the Tigers and things went from bad to worse two minutes before the break as they found themselves 4-0 down.

Mendy got the wrong side of Maynard inside the City area and hauled him back giving the referee no option but to point to the spot again. This time was it was Zola who stepped up and he sent Myhill the wrong way to complete his hat-trick.

HALFTIME: Crewe 4 Hull City 0

The start of the second half saw City boss Phil Brown send on a completely new XI, whilst Crewe made just the one change with Eddie Johnson replacing the hat-trick man, Calvin Zola.

The Tigers were looking a bit livelier and in the 55th minute Dean Marney forced Collis to make a good save after Dean Windass had cut back Craig Fagan's cross from the left.

In the 61st minute, Crewe made their second change with Byron Moore placing Bopp. City then immediately went on the attack again with Geovanni forcing a corner after showing a terrific piece of skill. The Brazilian was becoming a constant threat with the ball and in the 67th minute he produced a clever dragback to create some space but unfortunately hit his shot straight at Collis.

Sixty seconds later, the home side made four more substitutions meaning that City had to deal with fresh legs.

Wth ten minutes remaining, the Tigers could have pulled one back. Hughes' cross from the left was a good one but Turner got underneath the header when he perhaps should have done better. On 86 minutes, City went even closer as Fagan's curling 25-yard strike forced Collis into a good stop low down to his right.

CREWE:
Steve Collis, Danny Woodards (Abbey 68mins), Billy Jones, Chris McCready, Eugen Bopp (Moore 61mins), Julien Baudet (O'Donnell 68mins), James Bailey (Rix 68mins), Michael O'Connor (Carrington 77mins), Nicky Maynard, Calvin Zola (Johnson 45mins), Joel Grant (Clements 68mins).

Subs: Daniel O'Donnell, Ben Rix, Adam Legzdins, George Abbey, Byron Moore, Mark Carrington, Tom Pope, Shaun Miller, Colin Daniel, Chris Clements, Eddie Johnson.

TIGERS (First Half):
Bo Myhill, Nathan Doyle, Ian Ashbee, Wayne Brown, Nick Barmby, Richard Garcia, Bernard Mendy, Peter Halmosi, Caleb Folan, George Boateng, Liam Cooper.

TIGERS (Second Half):
Matt Duke, Ryan France, Matt Plummer, Michael Turner, Sam Ricketts, Craig Fagan, Dean Marney, Bryan Hughes, Nicky Featherstone, Geovanni, Dean Windass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here