Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why no minutes silence for Bobby Smith?

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Apologies if this has already been posted but why only a 'limp' mention at the final whistle.
For us older fans, he had a remarkable effect on the club, galvanising the team and turning it from an ordinary Div.4 side into a Championship winning outfit.
After two successive relegations, the club had sunk to the lowest level and in 63-64, crowds were struggling to reach 10,000.
Opening day in 64-65 saw 20,000 at the Goldstone...all there to see Bobby.
The momentum continued, the title was won and Bobby was the main reason.
Yes, we only savoured him for just over a season but that was enough for all of us to know he was a class act.
Surely he deserved 60 seconds yesterday?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Yes recentley they seemed to have loads in a row.

I am sure the club should honour his part in our history with gestures like this, Bobby deserves it, he was before my time but I knew all about him from older fans.

Hopefully the club have something in the pipeline and have not just forgotten about him.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
They did mention him as the fans were leaving the ground but many had their minds on other things so it was lost in the mayhem.

Poor show, hope they will remedy this on tuesday.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Totally agree. Whilst I never saw him play he was a legend in my dads eyes and couldn't believe there was no minutes silence. Can't see why the club didn't do it.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
A minutes applause is a more fitting tribute nowadays unless it's a tragic death like Adam Stansfield for example.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He played one season for us and was effectively sacked. He was a great player for Spurs and had one great season for us. If we did this for every player we'd be doing this every home game.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
He played one season for us and was effectively sacked. He was a great player for Spurs and had one great season for us. If we did this for every player we'd be doing this every home game.

Well often it feels we do, and it only takes a few moments, I get the impression Bobby represented something big in the changes of fortune of our club.

Lots of people said it is he that got them to go to the Goldstone in the first place and become lifelong fans.

I am happy to pay my respects to the many players and fans who have been an intregal part of our clubs history. I think a short silence is a dignified way of showing appreciation, and I always like the roar of the crowd when it ends.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

We had one for Ken Bigley once, a man, who while he died in tragic circumstances, wasn't a figure of national importance, nor was he anything to do with football, or in anyway relevant to either Sussex or the Albion.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
i thought the timing of the annoucement was odd - just a few seconds after the final whistle when everybody was on a high from the late goal . These things need to be announced pre kick-off or maybe half time when fans can show proper respect. maybe try again tuesday ....

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
i thought the timing of the annoucement was odd - just a few seconds after the final whistle when everybody was on a high from the late goal . These things need to be announced pre kick-off or maybe half time when fans can show proper respect. maybe try again tuesday ....

They didn't seem very organised pre-match, did anyone else hear them say that the game was the last Withdean match we will ever have in September !

Maybe they simply forgot to do something to honour / remember him pre-match and thats why they only made the announcement as everyone was leaving ?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Well often it feels we do, and it only takes a few moments, I get the impression Bobby represented something big in the changes of fortune of our club.

Lots of people said it is he that got them to go to the Goldstone in the first place and become lifelong fans.

I am happy to pay my respects to the many players and fans who have been an intregal part of our clubs history. I think a short silence is a dignified way of showing appreciation, and I always like the roar of the crowd when it ends.

A pub-mate of mine - who used to support Albion but doesn't any more - said that Smith came to their school and really got him involved with the club as a kid.

That sort of thing sows the seeds for a lifetime support, gets the kids off the whole Chelski/ManUre fetish.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
They didn't seem very organised pre-match, did anyone else hear them say that the game was the last Withdean match we will ever have in September !

Maybe they simply forgot to do something to honour / remember him pre-match and thats why they only made the announcement as everyone was leaving ?

And October, November, December....:cry:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't think the players need to wear black armbands. But I think there is a generation of supporters who remember him and would like the opportunity to pay their respects.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here