Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is the 2010 World Cup being held in South Africa?

Sepp Blatter wanted re-election as FIFA president. He is a wily politician and decided the best way to get the maximum number of nations to vote for him was to offer the tournament to South Africa. He and FIFA can dress it up any way they choose but that is the actual reason. If the African continant only got one block vote for the presidency they would not have the 2010 WC. Despite the reasons though, I think this could be very beneficial for the continent, I just hope for their sake they don't cock it up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Whatever the reason, giving SA the WC was the correct decision. It's a massive sports event and the African contribution to the game has been immense, steadily rising since the 70s. It could only ever go to SA, Egypt or maybe Morocco if it had to be in Africa, and I guess we'd all like to think that the benefits of running a successful tournament will trickle down through the whole of S African society. Plus, they have a professional league whose popularity will presumably be enhanced by these improved stadia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here