Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is the 2010 World Cup being held in South Africa?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Personally, I think it's criminal. They're spending BILLIONS of pounds building all these flash new stadiums, and yet the poverty there is unbelievable. It's a scandal, I tell you.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes there is poverty in South Africa but look how many construction jobs have been created in building the new stadia and the infrastructure to support them, none of that would have happened had the World Cup gone elsewhere. Depends which way you view things, doesn't it.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Been given out of political correctness that's the only reason.
Games being played in Jo'burg will have to have supporters bussed in and out as it's the murder capital of the world.
When they decided that it HAD to be in Africa what was wrong with Egypt - all the stadia are in place as is the infrastructure ?

Been given out of political correctness that's the only reason.
Games being played in Jo'burg will have to have supporters bussed in and out as it's the murder capital of the world.
When they decided that it HAD to be in Africa what was wrong with Egypt - all the stadia are in place as is the infrastructure ?

Half the criminals in Europe and North Africa would converge on Egypt, to rob people.

In SA you only run the risk of getting murdered.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yes there is poverty in South Africa but look how many construction jobs have been created in building the new stadia and the infrastructure to support them, none of that would have happened had the World Cup gone elsewhere. Depends which way you view things, doesn't it.

I don't think many of the people living in squalor in the shanty towns would agree, though. True, it'll bring jobs, but I'm sure they'd rather have basic homes than 50,000 all-seater stadiums.

Besides, how many locals will be able to afford to go to games? ???

I know that, as a measure of a nation's wealth, GDP per head of population disguises a lot of individual poverty, but it's probably a not unreasonable way to put a league table together.

Using that measure, South Africa is the 56th richest country in the world, ahead of Russia, Mexico, Brazil, Turkey, Iran, China, India ... and a whole load of other places.

The Top Ten, incidentally, are:-

1 Luxembourg
2 Ireland
3 Norway
4 United States
5 Iceland
6 Hong Kong
7 Switzerland
8 Netherlands
9 Denmark
10 Qatar

The UK is 13th.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Interesting article, this, from http://roadto2010final.blogspot.com/.

According to the papers today, however, the South African government have admitted they've under budgeted and now need an extra $500m from somewhere...

----
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
South Africa Won't Cut Social Programs for 2010 WC

South Africa has their priorities in order.

Unlike the US government that keeps cutting taxes and social institutions, their South African counterparts will not scale back social programs to fund construction of stadiums and other facilities for the 2010 soccer World Cup.

Danny Jordaan, chief executive of the South African World Cup organizing committee, told reporters today the government would absorb the 17.4 billion rand ($2.42 billion) needed to build and refurbish 10 stadiums as well as other World Cup costs without raiding education and health budgets or other key sectors.

"This event does not come at the expense of social programmes," Jordaan said after he and other officials provided an update on South Africa's preparations to host the first FIFA World Cup played in Africa.

"What this event has done is create jobs," he said, adding that the government expected significant economic and social gains from increased tourism and other spin-offs from the soccer championship.

The African National Congress (ANC), which has ruled since apartheid ended in 1994, is under growing pressure to improve delivery of water, electricity and other basic services to millions of poor residents, most of them black.

Thousands of people have taken to the streets of townships and shantytowns to voice anger over poor service delivery and the government's failure to dramatically improve their lives as promised when it took power.

In some cases crowds have attacked and even killed local ANC officials.
The country's World Cup organizers said that the tournament would be a catalyst for economic development, helping to expand South Africa's tax base, build skills among workers and showcase its attractions to investors and tourists.

They expect 9.8 billion rand in tourist revenue and a further 7.2 billion rand in tax revenue to be generated by the event and an undetermined amount in economic benefits from improved infrastructure.

South Africa is also upgrading its poor transport system and building hotels to accommodate 450,000 overseas fans who are expected to visit for the month-long tournament, which begins on June 11, 2010.

The World Cup will improve many lives in South Africa. The organizers seem to be doing a good job of keeping expectations high, morale high and confidence on a roll.

They'd, better deliver.

the World Cup had to go to a new continent and South Africa had the political backing as well as the technical submission.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Eastlondonseagull, I don't understand how you think South Africa would be better off by NOT having the world cup. It's not like Sepp Blatter is going to say: "Actually, sod it. Let's not bother with the world's biggest sporting event this time around... let's donate a load of cash on HIV treatment and improving shanty towns"

It's investment, which in most cases improves economies.

Also, people in South Africa LOVE football. There are no official figures, but I'm prepared to bet that a higher proportion of South Africans than English people watch their national team on the telly.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Also, people in South Africa LOVE football. There are no official figures, but I'm prepared to bet that a higher proportion of South Africans than English people watch their national team on the telly.

They sure do. They also watch the premier league, which is on TV a lot over there and is nearly always the first thing a taxi driver will ask "What football team do you support"?

Yes the money being spent on stadia is a lot and yes it could have done a lot of good elsewhere in social programmes etc, but the overall benefit to SA ought to cover that by some distance.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Africa was to be given the tournament then S.Africa was the only place it could go really.

Besides all those Fifa officials will be able to sample the friendly nature of those dusky maidens down in Cape Town.

Walking along the Strand down by Camps Bay with a cocktail in your hand, Staying at one of the hotels outside Durban in Umhslanga rocks watching the waves break over the sandy beach or looking at a pile of stones in the middle of some Egyption desert.

Tricky.

Football ..................... f*** off.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Eastlondonseagull, I don't understand how you think South Africa would be better off by NOT having the world cup. It's not like Sepp Blatter is going to say: "Actually, sod it. Let's not bother with the world's biggest sporting event this time around... let's donate a load of cash on HIV treatment and improving shanty towns"

It's investment, which in most cases improves economies.

I see what you're saying, Pevensey, but it just doesn't feel right to me. There were interviews on the telly the other day with people from these slums and they were saying that, yes, they were proud that their country was hosting the games. But they also said it was galling to see such huge wads of money being spent on football stadia, when they didn't have any running water or a roof over their head. Please spend the money on the poor, was the message.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I see what you're saying, Pevensey, but it just doesn't feel right to me. There were interviews on the telly the other day with people from these slums and they were saying that, yes, they were proud that their country was hosting the games. But they also said it was galling to see such huge wads of money being spent on football stadia, when they didn't have any running water or a roof over their head. Please spend the money on the poor, was the message.

I see what your saying Tim. I think the question has to be though, is the hosting of the World Cup actually going to return a profit for South Africa, and if so what are they planning to do with this profit?

If the answers to those questions are Yes & plough it into sorting out the poverty then I dont think we have an argument.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I see what your saying Tim. I think the question has to be though, is the hosting of the World Cup actually going to return a profit for South Africa, and if so what are they planning to do with this profit?

If the answers to those questions are Yes & plough it into sorting out the poverty then I dont think we have an argument.

Ploughing money back into South African poverty....:D

Thats really funny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here