Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is such a big thing being made of the coach trips

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Fulham & Liverpool have finally made it after 17 & 23 hour trips'.

Blimey it's not like they had to walk, or horse and cart it.

They've been sat on luxury transport, both trips have been over 2 days, so there's a stay in a luxury hotel as well.

Anyone would think without air travel we've gone back to the stone-age.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
exactly. i saw a picture on one of the news websites of the inside of the liverpool coach and that isn't a coach as i know it. all flat screen tvs, leather seats that recline and heat/massage pads, full fridges etc. the hardship!

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Was that Runcorn to London Euston train private or did they have to run the gauntlet with the general public?

The thought of Rafa Benitez losing his train ticket when the inspector comes round. "Of course, there's still 90 minutes left. I can guarantee i'll find it before we reach Euston."

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
They are just getting their excuses in early if it all goes wrong on the pitch. If that doesn't work then they can start to blame the pitch, manager, opposition's tactics, UEFA, referee etc etc.

As is usual for this country it is always somebody else's fault...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I remember the Liverpool team getting a train to Brighton for a first division match, they arrived in Brighton quite late on the Friday evening for the match on Saturday. They would probably have crossed London on the tube well.

Modern footballers are so pampered they live in a different world to the rest of us.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They had a private carriage on the train, with a security guard on the door so (god forbid) they weren't disturbed by any of the little people.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Liverpool will lay down and die in front of Chelsea. The bindippers will be ROARING the blues on to victory at Anfield. Guaranteed.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I was wondering the same thing as the OP.

If you're a mere mortal, then avoiding the stress and blandness of airports and cutting out the waiting time for planes compensates for the extra journey time a train takes on short-haul journeys.

But I bet, when Liverpool fly, they don't have to fanny about with parking and a bus from the car park, queue at passport control, hang around for two hours as the airline says to get there early, etc, etc. In other words, apart from the CO2 emissions, they avoid all the crap bits of flying.

So for them, coach/train travel probably does feel like hardship.

I'm not sympathetic, though - and neither should the journalists who've been running this story.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
but its *so* tiring sitting on a coach for 12, 18 hours or more. unlike, say training ???:shrug:

Oct 25, 2003
it's not like they're going by megabus is it? they're going by luxury coach which is probably as comfortable as flying......it just takes longer

boo f***ing hoo

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
A Joe Allon pointed out on the Coca Cola Football League Podcast last week, Hartlepool have a 500 mile coach journey every other weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here