Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Why is Nigel Farage on Question Time tonight ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why does someone who has stood and failed to become an MP on 7 occasions get so much airtime ? I know this has been asked a number of times, but does anyone have any idea why he keeps on appearing on mainstream media given the fact his single success was becoming an MEP, something we left years ago ?

I'm actually looking for a serious answer from his supporters/haters/whoever (although I appreciate this is NSC) because I really don't understand :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why does someone who has stood and failed to become an MP on 7 occasions get so much airtime ? I know this has been asked a number of times, but does anyone have any idea why he keeps on appearing on mainstream media given the fact his single success was becoming an MEP, something we left years ago ?

I'm actually looking for a serious answer (although I appreciate this is NSC).
The selection process for guests is done using PR.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My only guess is that he’s a lazy catch-all to provide easy balance for the BBC?

But in all honesty, I haven’t a clue.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Because they are only allowed a certain number of politicians who’ve actually been elected to Parliament

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Doubt he would have been booked if Piers Morgan wasn’t also on tonight.

It will go orrrrrf, that’s what they want

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why not go the full Primark and invite Joey Barton again.

Wallace

Nov 9, 2016
Perhaps it's because he was instrumental in persuading Cameron to offer the electorate of this country a long awaited referendum on membership of the EU? I think he'll go down in history as a very important political campaigner who changed the future course of the UK. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look forward to watching 🇬🇧

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've just had a look at the people on question time who appeared the most, I can only find old figures, but it appears

Nigel Farage - 2000-2019 - 1.8 times per year
Ken Clarke - 1982-2013 - 1.6 time per year
Menzies Campbell - 1987-2013 - 1.6 times per year
Charles Kennedy - 1983-2015 - 1.4 times a year
Harriet Harman - 1981-2015 - 1.3 times per year

And it appears he has been on (including tonight) three times since these figures were collected (I'm assuming the other serious politicians on that list, as voted by the electorate) haven't appeared since.

Why do you think that would be ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I'm actually looking for a serious answer from his supporters/haters/whoever (although I appreciate this is NSC) because I really don't understand :shrug:
60% of the panel aren't MPs; of the three non-MPs, apart from Farage, one's a professional Christian and one's a retired phone hacker. Wonder why you aren't so incensed about them?

P.S. I know the answer, so don't bother............................

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Plus of course, he pretty much fills the "c#nt quota" on his own.
Him and Piers Morgan on the same panel is like c*ntmageddon

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps it's because he was instrumental in persuading Cameron to offer the electorate of this country a long awaited referendum on membership of the EU? I think he'll go down in history as a very important political campaigner who changed the future course of the UK. Thanks for the heads up, I'll look forward to watching 🇬🇧

He certainly was very effective and influential. No one can deny that.

But it wasn’t persuasion.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
UKIP and Farage got exposure way beyond their popularity for years - it's an objective, evidence-based statement of fact that the coverage they had on the BBC, compared to the Greens who were electorally the same or more popular, was greater by several orders of magnitude. Imagine what the country would be like today if the bias had been towards equally representating all views, and not towards disproportionate stoking of controversy to drive viewing figures. And that's why he's there again. Controversy makes people watch.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does anyone actually watch this stuff these days?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Him and Piers Morgan on the same panel is like c*ntmageddon

You might finish QT and like Morgan again, he may play to the winning Labour gallery for reflected glory on 4th July.

Hopefully no one falls for it. A vile editor of a criminal rag, latterly a right wing weirdo.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Reform UK are a significant force in this coming election.

They should be represented in these forums, just as the Greens should be represented.

We may not agree with their policies, but this is democracy.
first point is presumptive, they might be a force. might well struggle to 2% like Brexit party last time.
second point seems to highlight the problem, there's no Green (or Lib Dem) represented.
it's very odd he gets so much airtime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here