Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is it.....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
....that on opening credits to TV shows they list the names of all the actors and then only with the last person do they also list the name of the character in the form:

and Joe Bloggs as Frank

Why do they only do it for this one character? Is it some kind of tradition? Do they think you might forget that particular character?

zakthemack

Aug 9, 2005
Columbus, OH USA
Typically, at least with shows here in the US, it's an actor that used to be a reasonably big star or is well known. Usually a bit part in terms of overall plot, but is stuck in there as a sort of actor/actress that gives the show legitimacy.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Isn't it usually the credit for either the cameo-celebrity-role, or the big name actor?

I think, stretching the boundaries of my memories a bit here, that on US shows like Dynasty (!) they'd finish the credits with "and Joan Collins as Alexis Xxxxx". Suggesting that Joan Collins was considered to be the big name amongst the rest of the cast.

Only guessing, like.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So it's basically the person most desperate to relaunch their career?

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
I found an easter egg on one of my Doctor Who dvds last night called Hidden Hincliffe where it showed former show producer Philip Hinchcliffe going through a folder of documents about the episode where peoples departments would recomend that a certian person on the crew should get a Radio Times credit.

There was also a small bit about title credits where he did go on to explain that back in the 70's shows didn't adopt the actors names in the opening credits like they did in american but have done recently, so probabily something that started in america and has followed on over here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here