Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why is it insulting to be called ladies

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
My club plays in the Premier League - they're known as Brighton & Hove Albion.
My club play in the WSL - they should be known as Brighton & Hove Albion.

No other identifiers required.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think what you're saying is.... if you don't particularly like being called a lady, you must be gay; if you are a female that wears trousers you're a bitch; if you take on the submissive role in a partnership, you're a lady? Have I missed anything in your tiny, myopic view of the female race?

Well said.

I'm happy with either word. It is probably an age perception, as I and fellow Wrens were referred to as ladies in the 60s, and meant as respect.
Women should be able to choose how they are referred to especially in sport.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
My club plays in the Premier League - they're known as Brighton & Hove Albion.
My club play in the WSL - they should be known as Brighton & Hove Albion.

No other identifiers required.

Yeah, because we all LOVE those "Brighton & Hove Albion sign international striker" - oh, that Brighton & Hove Albion - headlines and subject headers.

:ffsparr: :ffsparr: :ffsparr:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I guess the bigger question is: who's driving the decision? Have the Charlton team asked for it to be changed to ladies or some bloke on the board? Personally, it means nothing to me, but I'm not a woman so probably not best placed to ask. If the Charlton Ladies team are against it, then that's a decent barometer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Agree, it seems nuts! I am sure it was used when I worked in the office "can you ask one of the girls in finance to take a look at this Purchase Order" something like that. Don't think I would have even registered the "girls" bit.

Context is the issue, normaly most words are not offensive but can be if used to undermine or be disparaging. Not suggesting your workmate did that.

Well, this is the point. Context and intent is everything. But the new liberal form of puritanism we have in society, which is good in itself, can't seem to register this.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yeah, because we all LOVE those "Brighton & Hove Albion sign international striker" - oh, that Brighton & Hove Albion - headlines and subject headers.

:ffsparr: :ffsparr: :ffsparr:

So have the men’s team referred to as ‘Brighton and Hove Albion mens’ and let the women be simply ‘Brighton and Hove Albion.’ Be part of the change Wozza, this ain’t 1952 no more, nor is it Kansas no more, Dorothy.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So have the men’s team referred to as ‘Brighton and Hove Albion mens’ and let the women be simply ‘Brighton and Hove Albion.’ Be part of the change Wozza, this ain’t 1952 no more, nor is it Kansas no more, Dorothy.
It's fairly standard that the elite team, the one that all the very best players play in, is regarded as the first team. Then all the "special" categories for the people who (for whatever reason) can't get in the first team - not just the women, but also the under 18's the under 9's, the veterans, the walking football players - play in teams with a qualifier in their name.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I think what you're saying is.... if you don't particularly like being called a lady, you must be gay; if you are a female that wears trousers you're a bitch; if you take on the submissive role in a partnership, you're a lady? Have I missed anything in your tiny, myopic view of the female race?

A career in red-top journalism awaits you sir - you've turned my loose throw-away into statements of fact, so yes, you've missed quite a lot [there was no party] - but I acknowledge your interpretation.

Apologies to any bints I may have offended ...

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's fairly standard that the elite team, the one that all the very best players play in, is regarded as the first team. Then all the "special" categories for the people who (for whatever reason) can't get in the first team - not just the women, but also the under 18's the under 9's, the veterans, the walking football players - play in teams with a qualifier in their name.

The problem with “standard” is that it may be “used to be standard”. Personally I think, in order to have a fair differential between the two we should have BHA men and BHA women until we go even more extreme and have a multi sex and gender Brighton and Hove Albion. At that stage we won’t have an option of watching football as we currently know it but I will hopefully be in my box by then.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It all goes back to “behaving correctly”. I get why people find it a tad insulting. It is a bit “good little lady”. Very patronising, “let the ladies have a go”. I totally get why a woman in the 21st century would take exception to a sports team being called “ladies”.

Bottom line is they don’t wish to be called ladies, they want to be called women. What more is there to say?

Finally* some common sense. The team themselves are currently referred to as woman’s want to be referred to as that but the man in charge wants to call them ladies, and being the man in charge gets his way.

*ok I’m only 4 pages into the thread, but so far it’s a lot of men complaining about women having an opinion on what they’d prefer to be called.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I believe Non-man is the very latest progressive and inclusive term.
I wish I was joking.

Not only does that cover women, but male and female children. What about animals? This could all get very confusing.
My non-man was really pleased to see me when I got home from work, but only for a short while, she did a shit in the hallway and then licked her arse.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I don't get offended if someone calls me a lady, it actually makes me chuckle! Ladies aren't supposed to go to football matches and drink a pint, ladies aren't supposed to live in jeans and drink beer out of the bottle in a pub. I'm crap at cooking and avoid cleaning like the plague. I can even do diy (sort of). As someone alluded to, that doesn't mean I'm a 'dyke'.
However I can understand why being called a lady offends some. It reinforces the view that ladies shouldn't be doing traditionally male things & that they need some sort of protection or help from a man.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Does this mean Tena Lady is going to change too?

Tena Vagina or Tena Penis should cover it, as males suffer incontinence too. It annoys me that men should be having to look carefully at which pack to pick up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here