Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is it France, Germany, Italy and Portugal are better?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
England cant keep the ball, its really that simple.

I think that is right. Also I think the culture of our game is to move the ball very quickly away from you.........the crowds appreciate a 70 yard crossfield ball than a straighforward 5 yard pass that may well open up a defence...like Eduardo's one last night.

having said that I think I could pass it through lescott on my own!!!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
they CHEAT

Deductions

Banned
Aug 11, 2007
I think that is right. Also I think the culture of our game is to move the ball very quickly away from you.........the crowds appreciate a 70 yard crossfield ball than a straighforward 5 yard pass that may well open up a defence...like Eduardo's one last night.

having said that I think I could pass it through lescott on my own!!!

Its true though when your Eyeties and Frenchies have the lead they pass pass pass, we punt it up the pitch and stick everyone behind the ball and then end up conceding :glare:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sort of true - it's more that he believes English players are overvalued. And he's right.

Wenger is a cameo of what our problem is all about.

He uses his national and cultural links for his scouting network, therefore he brings in lots of French/African players ahead of maybe an English player.

Therefore Arsenal are absolutely no use whatsoever to the English National Side.

I remember Wenger saying after Rooney had scored against them when he was 16, that he was the best English Player of a generation.

Well if that was the case how come he didnt buy him off Everton when he was say 12 or 14. Dont kid yourself to say Everton wouldnt of sold him they probably would for a few million quid but Wenger probably didnt know Rooney existed.

He can find a young African player in the Togo but cant find and English player in Liverpool.

The Premiership is full of similar scenarios.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes I am....I have watched the Italian team on and off and based on what we have seen the last few games, I wouldnt even think Rooney would get into their side. Luca Toni is a class act....he would walk into any of our teams. If the likes of Rooney and Gerrard and lampard were that good, top teams in Europe would break the bank to get them....only Beckham has tempted the top sides.
We'd have to agree to disagree about the quality of Italian football. It's good, but...

Similarly, there is no financial incentive for Lampard, Gerard or Rooney to go abroad, and it's not as though would do anything so noble as want to 'improve their game'. And this is all about money.

Beckham, on ther other hand, wanted away, and Real Madrid were interested. And he got to play his own game, adapting very little to Real's style. It's fair to say he was a success personally over there, even if the team's trophies dried up in his time there.

Arsens every time.

the last few purchases Fergie has made have been Dani and Andersen.
We can easily get into the arena of nit-picking, but it's not as though Arsene hasn't bought the odd donkey or two.

Having said that, neither is so dogmatic as to insist on only buying English, but then neither are so dogmatic as to insist on NOT buying English. Of course not - they buy THE BEST from wherever that may be. If Lampard, Gerard etc became available, I am sure both Wenger and Ferguson would be interested in taking them on.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We'd have to agree to disagree about the quality of Italian football. It's good, but...

Similarly, there is no financial incentive for Lampard, Gerard or Rooney to go abroad, and it's not as though would do anything so noble as want to 'improve their game'. And this is all about money.

Beckham, on ther other hand, wanted away, and Real Madrid were interested. And he got to play his own game, adapting very little to Real's style. It's fair to say he was a success personally over there, even if the team's trophies dried up in his time there.

We can easily get into the arena of nit-picking, but it's not as though Arsene hasn't bought the odd donkey or two.

Having said that, neither is so dogmatic as to insist on only buying English, but then neither are so dogmatic as to insist on NOT buying English. Of course not - they buy THE BEST from wherever that may be. If Lampard, Gerard etc became available, I am sure both Wenger and Ferguson would be interested in taking them on.

I agree to disagree, but of course you are wrong!

Bex in his autobiography....the one written in crayon, actually said he did not want to leave manure, he was pushed out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here