Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is Dunk not playing? (merged)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I thought he was injured?

Well he looked pretty fit warming the touchline at St Andrews....and then he is totally left out last night. Pretty shabby treatment for a young player who has coped manfully this season, under a lot of pressure. Pressure caused by some of the inept play in front of him.
Poyet said that he had been in the firing line every game and needed a break. FFS, the only way he is going to learn and mature into a very good player is to stay in the firing line.
Or is there another agenda....i.e one or two big clubs sniffing round him ( cos he is a very good prospect ) and they need to take him out ' the public gaze ' for a while.
Is this also why the talented Jake F/C is being wrapped up in cotton wool as well?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well he looked pretty fit warming the touchline at St Andrews....and then he is totally left out last night. Pretty shabby treatment for a young player who has coped manfully this season, under a lot of pressure. Pressure caused by some of the inept play in front of him.
Poyet said that he had been in the firing line every game and needed a break. FFS, the only way he is going to learn and mature into a very good player is to stay in the firing line.
Or is there another agenda....i.e one or two big clubs sniffing round him ( cos he is a very good prospect ) and they need to take him out ' the public gaze ' for a while.
Is this also why the talented Jake F/C is being wrapped up in cotton wool as well?

What a load of rubbish. Alex Ferguson does things like this all the time. Nothing wrong with giving him a bit of a break, he is only 19 and wasn't meant to be playing in the first team this season. Making him play every game is a surefire way of ruining him.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Agree with Commander, there is nothing wrong with him being given a small break to avoid burn out. It's just the way it's handled publicly that is leading to fans having to guess whether there is more to it than that. If Reyes is out for Sunday then I expect to see him back

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i think your find its dunk whos in the wrong!!!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
From the Argus Q&A

Hi Andy, have you got to the bottom of why Dunk was dropped, is he injured or just being rested?
Yes. Story was in yesterday's paper and should have gone online yesterday tea-time. Essentially taken out of the firing line, with Gus accepting blame for putting too much pressure on him.

Do you know something?
If he does, it's not in English.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think Calde gives us a little bit more of the El Abd style pressing game in there - gets tighter and harasses more. For all his promise - and he's looked like a real find - several long range goals this season have come when Dunk's been the closest player but allowed a shot.

Nothing wrong surely with letting him have a rest and a think about that to make sure he fulfils his potential in the long term? I reckon he'll be back soon though primarily for his height.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Well I am obviously totally wrong and all young players should have a rest after a dozen games....Burn out.....what the f...ing hell are you on about...Fergie rotates his squad in relation to the game he is playing. He also has a lot of quality to choose from. We do not have that luxury. Dunk should not be rested this early in a season. If he needs resting every 10-12 games, then he shouldn't be a pro footballer. All pro's want to be playing all the time. They'd rather play than train. Thats how they are. If I was Lewis Dunk I would be gutted to be dropped for a right back. If he is in danger of burn-out then his preparation and training are all wrong.
Didn't see Wayne Rooney being left out at 19, for fear of burn-out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think Calde gives us a little bit more of the El Abd style pressing game in there - gets tighter and harasses more. For all his promise - and he's looked like a real find - several long range goals this season have come when Dunk's been the closest player but allowed a shot.

Nothing wrong surely with letting him have a rest and a think about that to make sure he fulfils his potential in the long term? I reckon he'll be back soon though primarily for his height.

Which he doesnt use to the best advantage as a number of goals against us have come from high balls not being dealt with by our central defenders.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I heard/read that Gus felt he had been thrown in at the deep end early in his career due to our injury crisis and wanted to pull him out the firing line for a game or two. If that is the case than I kind of agree with Gus

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
From the Argus Q&A

Hi Andy, have you got to the bottom of why Dunk was dropped, is he injured or just being rested?
Yes. Story was in yesterday's paper and should have gone online yesterday tea-time. Essentially taken out of the firing line, with Gus accepting blame for putting too much pressure on him.

If he does, it's not in English.

you havent a scooby

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
If you are good enough you are old enough.

Burn out my arse

Shorehamkid

Aug 3, 2011

Well unless I was seeing things, Dunky couldn't have been warming any touchline at St.Andrews on Saturday as I saw him near Shoreham High Street as the game was on-going?!

Anyways, with Tano having come on last night I guess Sunday will be the acid test... If he doesn't make the 16 on Sunday, I'd find it very, very strange with our current lack of defensive resources.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Well unless I was seeing things, Dunky couldn't have been warming any touchline at St.Andrews on Saturday as I saw him near Shoreham High Street as the game was on-going?!

Yeah, I heard that Dunk wasn't even taken to Birmingham..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here