Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
To answer the OP’s question: Dunky plays for one of the most under the radar clubs in the PL and an England manager takes a (big) risk picking a centre half from a (genuinely) unfashionable club. We know our history and the direction of travel of the club under Bloom but they’ll still be people out there that think we play at Withdean and play attritional football. We’re also
managed by an ‘oddity’ who makes his players sing at fan concerts. It takes a huge amount of time to change a narrative in this (any) country. Dunk also needs to have HUGE self-belief to get in a England dressing room and think “**** It” I’ll break Rashford’s legs if he tries to take the piss again in training.

I quite agree. Southgate probably thinks Dunk looks good playing for "teams like Brighton" but would look fairly ordinary playing for a "Big Club". It's his - and England's - loss.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I quite agree. Southgate probably thinks Dunk looks good playing for "teams like Brighton" but would look fairly ordinary playing for a "Big Club". It's his - and England's - loss.

Would Dunk look ordinary playing for Everton, Burnley or Villa - as he's picked players from those teams ahead of him before.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To answer the OP’s question: Dunky plays for one of the most under the radar clubs in the PL and an England manager takes a (big) risk picking a centre half from a (genuinely) unfashionable club. We know our history and the direction of travel of the club under Bloom but they’ll still be people out there that think we play at Withdean and play attritional football. We’re also
managed by an ‘oddity’ who makes his players sing at fan concerts. It takes a huge amount of time to change a narrative in this (any) country. Dunk also needs to have HUGE self-belief to get in a England dressing room and think “**** It” I’ll break Rashford’s legs if he tries to take the piss again in training.

I’m not sure about this though.

Firstly, we’re not that unfashionable or that under the radar, GP has been getting some great press and we’re 8th. I doubt the England manager will have failed to notice even if the press have.
Secondly, Southgate has picked plenty from comparable teams to us, Mings, Tarkowski, Wilson, bet there’s loads of others if I thought about it
Thirdly, Southgate is actually a bright enough guy and is his own man, I don’t see him getting sucked in to not picking a player because we feature less in Sunday sport supplements

That said, it is a genuine mystery that he has picked Keane and pretty much anyone he can over Dunk despite two years + of consistently good Premier League form.

Part of me thinks it’s part of a (I think flawed) strategy of trying not to introduce anyone new to the squad of the age of 25, part of me thinks Dunk might not have impressed in training the last time he was called up.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
I think Dunk has a great opportunity on Sunday to demonstrate that he is at a level where he should be considered for an international call-up, provided he can keep the likes of Rashford and Lingard quiet.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Would Dunk look ordinary playing for Everton, Burnley or Villa - as he's picked players from those teams ahead of him before.

Fair point, Papa. I was trying to say that Southgate's opinion of Dunk is clouded by his perception of Albion as a "lesser" club. Dunk would look good playing for anyone (including England) but that is just my incredibly biased opinion as an Albion fan and my support for "one of our own". On current form Everton could be lumped in with Burnley or Villa, but I suspect Southgate's historical view of them will put them above those clubs in his estimation. But I can't argue with the selection fact you have cited.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I quite agree. Southgate probably thinks Dunk looks good playing for "teams like Brighton" but would look fairly ordinary playing for a "Big Club".

That would be a ludicrous conclusion to draw.

Because of the nature of club Dunk represents, he's played these first 11 games in a defence featuring complete Premier League novices, in Burn, Webster and (once) Alzate - and has still marshalled them brilliantly, and controlled that area of the pitch effortlessly - despite having to look out for them, and cover their errors.

If he were playing alongside Virgil Van Dyke, with Robertson and TAA wide of him, under very little regular pressure, that would make his job a whole lot easier, so it stands to reason that he'd be able to look after his own game and look an even better player individually.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what time is today's announcement?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why Isn't Dunk Constantly Overlooked By England?

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
If you're a Brighton fan, surely you should be a fan of all our players? Especially our current player of the season.

I'm an unashamed Duffy fan. I'm an unashamed Webster fan. Both bring different qualities, neither have let us down. You don't have to do one of our players down to argue the other is a better selection.

Maybe so matey.
It’s not that I want him to fail and I’m certainly no “told you so” fan like some we could mention. Clearly he’s been dropped for a reason and that is probably his ball retention and passing aren’t as good as others

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
England squad - Maddison included
Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Joe Gomez, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Danny Rose, John Stones, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Trippier

Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Jordan Henderson, James Maddison, Mason Mount, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Declan Rice, Harry Winks

Strikers: Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

FFS!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It happened again.

England squad:
Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton (Aston Villa), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Danny Rose (Tottenham), John Stones (Manchester City), Fikayo Tomori (Chelsea), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Fabian Delph (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Maddison (Leicester City), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Liverpool), Declan Rice (West Ham), Harry Winks (Tottenham)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Callum Wilson (Bournemouth)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here