Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Why I hate Brighton" - article

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Being perfectly honest I reckon nearly every word of that is true! Tho as notters says he has his laines mixed up.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Personally I think he's a tedious wanker. Yes of course he's spot on, because he's not lying. But having a pop at the Lanes because of a couple of shops he doesn't like, moaning at middle class mums, and the fact that THREE *gasp* roads aren't very nice. It sounds like a hackneyed and cliched tick-list of things to have a pop at, in a feeble attempt to sound relevant. How exactly to these "points" mark Brighton out from any other town in the country then?

What a f***ing nob. Barely a mention of Brighton's real problems like the fact that the traffic is awful and the nimby's hold sway across the whole town. He sounds like a complete bell end.

And come to think of it, no he's not "spot on" either. How many times have you seen tampons and turds in the sea in Brighton then?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
dull reverse snobbery for people that want to let everyone know how 'real' they are. Very trendy at the moment, but always popular with class conscious Brits.

Only highlighting his own prejudices really.

London road is a bit shitty though.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
The article isn't so much a diatribe against Brighton but rather an exercise in misanthropy.

He doesn't seem to like the underclass in London Road. The description could be of any run down area of Britain. Has he been to Bridgwater or Newport or Dundee. It's a lot worse. Byker Grove in Newcastle or Huyton in Liverpool make London Road look like New Bond Street.

But then he doesn't like the middle classes much either.They do things like drink in coffee shops and buy nice things from quirky shops (God forbid). I suspect that what he doesn't like is everyone else being in on the secret of how good Brighton really is.

The beauty of Brighton is that it does cater for all the classes. We've got the kiss me quick hats and the super pubs, we've got the too cool for school shops and bars, we've got the frightfully nice shops for the middle classes. Alan Partridge is right (as usual). Reverse snobbery from a pseud.

Good riddance to him and I hope he can settle down rather quickly in Orpington or Luton or Maidenhead or wherever it is he goes and that there aren't frightful working and middle class people around him.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Personally I think he's a tedious wanker. Yes of course he's spot on, because he's not lying. But having a pop at the Lanes because of a couple of shops he doesn't like, moaning at middle class mums, and the fact that THREE *gasp* roads aren't very nice. It sounds like a hackneyed and cliched tick-list of things to have a pop at, in a feeble attempt to sound relevant. How exactly to these "points" mark Brighton out from any other town in the country then?

What a f***ing nob. Barely a mention of Brighton's real problems like the fact that the traffic is awful and the nimby's hold sway across the whole town. He sounds like a complete bell end.

And come to think of it, no he's not "spot on" either. How many times have you seen tampons and turds in the sea in Brighton then?

This, totally this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The article isn't so much a diatribe against Brighton but rather an exercise in misanthropy.

He doesn't seem to like the underclass in London Road. The description could be of any run down area of Britain. Has he been to Bridgwater or Newport or Dundee. It's a lot worse. Byker Grove in Newcastle or Huyton in Liverpool make London Road look like New Bond Street.

But then he doesn't like the middle classes much either.They do things like drink in coffee shops and buy nice things from quirky shops (God forbid). I suspect that what he doesn't like is everyone else being in on the secret of how good Brighton really is.

The beauty of Brighton is that it does cater for all the classes. We've got the kiss me quick hats and the super pubs, we've got the too cool for school shops and bars, we've got the frightfully nice shops for the middle classes. Alan Partridge is right (as usual). Reverse snobbery from a pseud.

Good riddance to him and I hope he can settle down rather quickly in Orpington or Luton or Maidenhead or wherever it is he goes and that there aren't frightful working and middle class people around him.

Best post so far.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

But Queens Road and Lewes road are alright, aren't they. Ok neither match up to the Champs-Élysées, but what the f*** does he expect?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is this another thread about HB&B's blogs?

Good article I think.

At this point I thought not, but then...

Sounds like the rantings of too-cool-for-school middle class w*nker trying to side with the proles to me. :)

Still an amusing article if a little frothy, can't really argue with the critique of London Road though.

dull reverse snobbery for people that want to let everyone know how 'real' they are. Very trendy at the moment, but always popular with class conscious Brits.

Only highlighting his own prejudices really.

London road is a bit shitty though.

Now I'm confused.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought the Brighton article was bollocks but the silver lining was there's a good interview in the Sport Section with Charlie George, Chopper Harris and Stan Bowles.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're going to use the IRA bombing as a joke then the rest of the article has to be totally spot-on, and this wasn't.

I'm not going to waste my time dissecting the piece, suffice it to say he used the West Pier as an example of decay and neglect, yet he refers in jest to the IRA bombing which subsequently involved the beautiful, painstaking reconstruction of The Grand Hotel, none of which he mentions.

A cliche-ridden piece throughout. Who exactly IS this (UNT?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
to nick a phrase, if you're tired of Brighton, you're tired of life.

its always been rough around the edges with some pretention and overblown opinion of itself. thats whats so great about it, everyone is welcome. so London Road is shit, when exactly in the past generation or two has anyone thought otherwise? i assume he's off elsewhere, so cheerio fella someone else who wants to be there can move in.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Looks like it's written from a standard template. Exchange the road, shop and building names and he could peddle that tosh out about any city. Trying to be cool and clever but failing miserably

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm just glad his kind don't want to live in Brighton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's not wrong for the most part, amused me anyway. I think he may have a touched a nerve though

Last edited:

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
I moved out of Brighton 8 years ago and visit the old place occasionally. It is unfriendly and many parts are run down. Brighton in my opinion has lost its sole and character.

Students now occupy Queens Park and Hanover area where once there was a community of people who knew each other well and have now been pushed out.

Those of you who still live there do not see what I see and a few of my friends who used to live in the town agree as we talked about it a few times. The city has become souless.

For me I remember Brighton fondly during the 70's and 80's when I was proud to live by the sea and where I came from. Now this is not the case!!

The only saving grace for the town is the football club which is the greatest club in the world and I am proud to be a Brighon fan!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here