Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why I can't support Falmer

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
chips and gravy said:
He does have an interesting dilemma though. Be a NIMBY and an Albion fan all at the same time

If i found out that they wanted to put the stadium right next door to me i would f*%kin love it!

They could put it in my garden if it would fit!

So no, you certainly cannot be a nimby albion fan! I might even move to Falmer!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I'm getting very bored of idiots having the cheek to insult our intelligence by suggesting Withdean is a viable alternative to our Falmer planning application.

Too small, no scope for development and the local community were rightly promised our existence there would be temporary - for exactly these reasons.

In fact, NIMBY statements such as this just go to prove what self-serving, community-starved individuals we're dealing with.

The people of Withdean, a quiet off-road suburb, have homes which are very intimately located to the current stadium and their concerns are much more warranted than those people in Falmer village, which does not even overlook the Falmer site, and is currently located next to the most major south coast A road - the A27.

NIMBYS :shootself :salute:

Never mind the arguments against Withdean.

If the Albion did ever suggest that we stayed there permanently, we'd see a reaction from thousands more NIMBYs than Falmer Parish Council have ever been able to mobilise.

And the residents of Tongdean Lane are a sight better connected than the few dozen activists at Falmer.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Withdean residents wouldn't need to do an awful lot to get evidence that Withdean is unsuitable for us as a long-term home. All they'd need to do is simply get the letters we've all written to John Prescott ALL saying that Withdean is unsuitable. The Club and the Council have gone on record many times saying that Withdean is not suitable as a permanant stadium.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Can't we put residents of Withdean and Falmer together in one room and let them fight it out between them.

With a bit of luck there wouldn't be anyone left to object.

:rolleyes:

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Withdean residents wouldn't need to do an awful lot to get evidence that Withdean is unsuitable for us as a long-term home. All they'd need to do is simply get the letters we've all written to John Prescott ALL saying that Withdean is unsuitable. The Club and the Council have gone on record many times saying that Withdean is not suitable as a permanant stadium.

Good point that - funny I'd never thought of it that way. You could argue that as our curent "home" is Withdean, we are currently acting as the larger of the two NIMBY camps!!!!

And if as this guy points out, people don't use the trains that much to get to games (has he ever been to Preston Park on matchday?!!!!) then I guess he's also ruling out the Station site as suggested by the Planning Inspector.

Waterhall = North of A27 and unwanted precedent of development in and around downs north of road = NO NO

Toads Hole Valley - actually a pleasant piece of greenland (not muddy field) at edge of housing and would again have much greater visual and sound impact on surrounding area

THE ARGUMENT IS SHIT - FALMER IS THE ONLY SITE

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Yorkie said:
Can't we put residents of Withdean and Falmer together in one room and let them fight it out between them.

With a bit of luck there wouldn't be anyone left to object.

:rolleyes:
Thanks yorkie !!

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Rather than the planning issues (which have been well-rehearsed), I was referring to the financial issues in my earlier post.

Having said that, the planning issues are so conclusive perhas the financial argument is effectively redundant.

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
Reasons (again) why Withdean is not suitable:

1 It would be dangerous at anything above 10000. The exit routes are not large enough to accommodate the people leaving particularly in an emergency. The Tongdean Lane bridge is a particular concern as is Snakey Lane if that was ever brought in to serve the railway station.

2 The Club would still require park and ride and other buses all operating form the London Road. The volume of people and buses would mean the closure of the London Road for about 5 hours each match day.

3 The site is smaller than Falmer. To fit in the stadium would have to be turned at 90 degrees. There would be no parking space.

4 Removal of other facilities. Atrhletics Club would have to move (Where would the new athletcs' stadium be?). The sports Centre, squah courts, creche would all have to move. The lease for the pub (125 years would have to be bought out).

5 A samller stadium is not viable. Evidence at the Inquiry was that at Withdean an averaeg crowd of 16000 would be required to break even. Go back to point 1.

6 Destruction of local amenities. House back onto the Stadium. House are immediately opposite. These house would be only about 10 metres from a four storey stadium wall. All the roads around the stadiumwould have to be closed to allow queuing etc.

And there's more but you'll all be getting bored by now. All of this was in evidence at the Inquiry and heard by either Mr or Mrs Cuttress.

Why are people still being getting away with saying they think we should either stay at Withdean or build at waterhall etc, when these options have already been explored and dismissed.

I haven't read todays article, but I take it the the 'fan' in question was never challenged over his preferred options of waterhall and withdean and explaining how the problems that these two sites have will magically disappear just becasue Falmer has been turned down.

Where the f**k has this bloke been for the past years, obviously with his head buried in the stupid effing duck pond. Certainly he hasn't been anywhere near the real world where these arguments have already been thrashed out to the nth degree.

Colbourne Kid said:
Reasons (again) why Withdean is not suitable:

4 Removal of other facilities. Athletics Club would have to move (Where would the new athletics stadium be?). The sports Centre, squash courts, creche would all have to move.
When I spoke with Tim Cutress about that, his answer was, er ... Falmer.

I'm not sure that his fellow villagers agree with him, though.

Last edited:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Although I don't agree with Tim Cutress I have some sympathy with his predicament. From what little I know of him he has followed the club for many years. He also has a house in a (relatively) quiet village near Brighton. Now he sees that the team he supports wants to build close to his home. On the one hand he hears 'We want Falmer' at each home game, on the other he has his wife and neighbours telling him how the stadium will wreck their home environment. He probably gets more earache from the missus every day than he does from the North Stand every other saturday. If he didn't speak out against the stadium then he may lose his wife and friends. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place. He may also secretly be hoping that it does get approved.

Like an earlier poster I think he should be credited for the fact that he has not used his business as a means of drumming up opposition to Falmer (and I bet he has been pushed on this by some of the Falmer Council cronies). I certainly don't think he should be banned for trying to make a case against Falmer - that's the sort of thing that Bellotti used to do.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Also in his suggestion for Waterhall he conveniantly forgets there is no Railway station there, and he also states there would be no local opposition !

Well I know quite a few people who live in Hangleton who would fight tooth & nail against any proposal for a Stadium there and we would certainly have a whole lot more opposition than at Falmer....definately a no.

If he has been a fan for so long and presumably listened to the arguments that have raged over the Falmer spplication, how come he is still coming out with this drivel about Waterhall, re-develop the Goldstone, stay at Withdean, non examination of other potential sites etc etc etc.

I mean, where has he been for the last nine years????????

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Hadlee said:
Also in his suggestion for Waterhall he conveniantly forgets there is no Railway station there, and he also states there would be no local opposition !

Well I know quite a few people who live in Hangleton who would fight tooth & nail against any proposal for a Stadium there and we would certainly have a whole lot more opposition than at Falmer....definately a no.

Why would Hangleton residents protest against Waterhall?
Are you confusing Waterhall with Toads Hole Valley?

And Waterhall does have the train line running beside it so a Station would be no problem (but its all irrelavent anyway as it is North of the A27)

I think you must be confusing the 2 sites

Last edited:

WON'T WATERHALL ACTUALLY BE IN THE NATIONAL PARK. THEREFORE A COMPLETE DEAD DUCK.:nono:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Before I was old enough to go to the Goldstone, I stayed at Poet's Corner, the bit above the railway line, about equidistant that Falmer Village is from VWN Falmer. I would say it was the ideal distance away for any Albion fan.

Alas, I was too young, and although I could sense something exciting was going on at the end of the road (grandfather worked on the turnstiles for big matches) I was too young to understand what and I could not hear anything either.

This was Christmas 1958.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
To my mind Waterhall always has been the best option for the following reasons:

1. Location. On the "right" side of Brighton so that visiting fans arriving by car can easily locate it.

2. Direct access from both the A23 and the bypass.

3. A "Parkway" station could be built on the site offering:
a) A commuter park and ride for London, and
b) a shoppers park and ride for the town centre ... plus of course
c) a rail station for footy fans.

4. Plenty of space for a decent amount of parking.

5. No NIMBY group nearby.

It would be interesting to know whether £2.5m spent on convincing the powers that be about the benefits of Falmer could have been better spent on making a case for Waterhall.

Yes, yes, yes, I know about the site being the "wrong" side of the bypass, but nothing is set in tablets of stone.

WATERHALL FOR ALL!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here