Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why haven't football measurements gone metric?

I was living in Italy when decimal currency was introduced in Britain. At the time, there were 1,500 lire to the £.

I found it much easier to convert from lire to sterling by using £sd as the basis for the calculation than it was to use £p.

100 lire was 1s4d
200 lire was 2s8d
300 lire was 4s
... and so on (an easy progression - although it might not seem so, if you've never used it).

Even post decimalisation, I continued to use the old currency to do the conversion, and would only translate to £p after finishing the sum in my head.

It got even easier when the lire was devalued to 2,000 of them to the £. But only if you worked on the basis that 100 lire was worth a shilling. The decimal pound was no help at all.

Not that I'm moaning, but we still talk about the six yard box, the eighteen yard box. The penalty spot is still twelve yards out and goals are twenty four feet wide by eight feet high

Has there been special dispensation given to football to keep imperial measurements?

Or do they talk about the goals being 7.56 metres, or whatever it is, wide on the continent, for example?

:lolol:

Why the hell should it? WE invented it and WE used imperial measures at the time. A goal will always be 8' x 8yds, it doesn't need changing slightly to make it a round number of cm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here