Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why have we gone from awesome to shite in one month

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
From what I can see, we now appear to be trying to walk the ball into the net and thats when the full backs aren't trying to score from 35 yards. Our defence is also seemingly far less settled and prone to mistakes.

I really do think we'll click again soon. Football really is a confidence game.

Sep 1, 2010
I agree with the booing thing. I would never boo but this for me personally is not about returning to moaning because i am just not like that anyway. Players though in my opinion started to believe their own hype and have become slack, a few dodgy results and now we are struggling. Obviously it is not about wanting a spend spend spend culture but sometimes you need to spend where improvements are needed and clearly up front is where we are poor.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Perspective.

Woking home & away and today are all cup games that it's obvious Gus, rightly or wrongly, isn't taking too seriously.

Hartlepoole away - we were by all accounts beaten by a team who had a game plan and scored 3 out of their 4 shots on target.

Bristol Rovers - we were quite clearly the better team on the day, but got punished by two moments of lack of concentration.

Southampton away - totally out muscled in the first half, but able to change it up to come close enough to nick a win in the second half.

Not ideal, I'll grant you, but hardly shite. It can only seem to appear that way because it's all coming off the back of such flawless performances.

Trust in GUS !

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Didn't like people booing at HT, and FT, granted we did play shut, but really? Too everyone that booed, f*** OFF! (que abuse..)

I agree - Gus apparently turned round at HT with his hands up - The people that booed have done our rep no good with Gus.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Jesus, we battered FCUM today. If we had finished some more of the chances the tune would be a hell of a lot different to what it is now. If it had been 6-1 which it easily could have been, we would be lauding the amazing play, but since we did not win, all of the pressure, the passing, the possession is forgotten.

Compare this to two seasons ago, where we may have won, but would have looked shite in comparison. Cue abuse

Sep 1, 2010
Perspective.

Woking home & away and today are all cup games that it's obvious Gus, rightly or wrongly, isn't taking too seriously.

Hartlepoole away - we were by all accounts beaten by a team who had a game plan and scored 3 out of their 4 shots on target.

Bristol Rovers - we were quite clearly the better team on the day, but got punished by two moments of lack of concentration.

Southampton away - totally out muscled in the first half, but able to change it up to come close enough to nick a win in the second half.

Not ideal, I'll grant you, but hardly shite. It can only seem to appear that way because it's all coming off the back of such flawless performances.

Trust in GUS !

I am not talking about just league games though am i ! If you want perspective, the only time i can call having a HALF decent performance was southampton away 2nd half. We were not all that against Brizzle Rovers either. Woking we were shocking in both games. Hartlepool we were trounced and then there was todays game. So yes in my mind we have played shite since Peterborough

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
So you're saying we WERE shit during 2nd half at SSC? Were you there?

Exactly.
Cant really say about Hartlepool, as i wasnt there, but it was always going to be difficult going up there and trying to play neat passing football on a small pitch. Against Bristol Rovers we were by no means awful, we werent great, but we played ok, considering that Rovers side then went on to get another point at Charlton who were in cracking form. The two cup games were irrelevant, as its a patched up squad with players who havent a great deal of match practice, and others coming back from injury and so on.
We've had one shit game that matters, Hartlepool away. End of.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I am not talking about just league games though am i ! If you want perspective, the only time i can call having a HALF decent performance was southampton away 2nd half. We were not all that against Brizzle Rovers either. Woking we were shocking in both games. Hartlepool we were trounced and then there was todays game. So yes in my mind we have played shite since Peterborough

Fair enough. I wouldn't for a minute argue that we've been all that good since Peterborough either. I'm just not prepared to go declaring shite at the moment, and the cup games further confuse the debate I think.

I was able to take a friend to the Rovers game and he could see no result other than an Albion win on the balance of play. It was the first time he'd seen us play under Poyet and was amazed and impressed at the transformation ! Yet, like you say, we weren't even all that that day. That's what I mean about perspective, along with the fact that this run comes off the back of some truly fantastic performances.

Sep 1, 2010
I think shite was too strong a word to be fair. hands up, But it is frustrating as we can play so much better. Booing though..........pretty sad..........and i would rather rant on here than boo at Poyet like a bloody Chelsea fan. I think in summary is that we need to strengthen and i know all teams have a dip in form but they have exactly been against top opposition mainly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think shite was too strong a word to be fair. hands up, But it is frustrating as we can play so much better. Booing though..........pretty sad..........and i would rather rant on here than boo at Poyet like a bloody Chelsea fan. I think in summary is that we need to strengthen and i know all teams have a dip in form but they have exactly been against top opposition mainly.

Well said :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here