Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why have Martin on the bench?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
So McGhee has fallen out with Kuipers has he?

Surely McGhee putting Martin on the bench is cutting his nose to spite his face? Henderson was clearly injured and McGhee had no intention of playing young Martin (so why put him on the bench). Kuipers should have been there, argument or no argument. Had Henderson gone off, Kuipers would be by far the best sub. What if Henderson had taken another bash? Martin would have had to come on, and as much as hes a brilliant prospect Kuipers is a ready fit and experienced first team keeper.

I am behind McGhee, but I will be bitterly disappointed if Kuipers is forced out. He is an outstanding 'keeper.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Agreed - no point having someone on the bench who you do not think you can use. FDM should have been there.

D

Deleted member 2719

Biscuit said:

Surely McGhee putting Martin on the bench is cutting his nose to spite his face? Henderson was clearly injured and McGhee had no intention of playing young Martin (so why put him on the bench). Kuipers should have been there, argument or no argument. Had Henderson gone off, Kuipers would be by far the best sub. What if Henderson had taken another bash? Martin would have had to come on, and as much as hes a brilliant prospect Kuipers is a ready fit and experienced first team keeper.

I am behind McGhee, but I will be bitterly disappointed if Kuipers is forced out. He is an outstanding 'keeper.

Excellent post.

Agree with 98% i just think he has already bitterly dissapointed me in to many other decisions and man management errors.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's in todays Argus that FDM and MM fell out so he dropped him from the squad.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Biscuit said:

Couldn't agree more... the FDM and MM need to put their differences behind them... it was fcuking obvious Henderson was MM's 1st choice, and the 1st chance he got, he (incorrectly) dropped the FDM... if Henderson isn't 100% fit for Sat, then the FDM MUST be put back in the team...

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I am worried that McGhee seems to fall out with all the players, its not a trait that one looks for in a manager be it a football manager or a manager in business, worrying times my friends, bring in a sports psychaitrist and get McGhee examined Mr Chairman if our budget can stretch that far

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Biscuit said:

I agree with this, if FDM does get forced out what is Magoo playing at!!!

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Its not McGhee's management skills people should be questioning, its the attitude of some of our players. So the manager decides Henderson is better than FDM, he tells FDM and he throws a hissy. Hes well within his rights then to drop him from the squad.
If he cant accept the managers decision then thats his problem. We have a manager who wont stand for stroppy plaers. Good.
If the dropped players cant take it and think, maybe I should work on my game to get back in the team (like Hammond did a year back) then sod them.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
good point westy, but lots of our players who get dropped seem to end up in an arguement with the big yin so I am questioning his communication skills

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
Stinky Kat said:
good point westy, but lots of our players who get dropped seem to end up in an arguement with the big yin so I am questioning his communication skills

Maybe the players don't understand MM's scottish accent. :D

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Who exactly has Magoo fallne out with so far?

McCammon, Knight, Jarrett, Kuipers

Any connection?

Who's next?

Carole? CKR?

Magoo Out :angry:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Dont be so stupid. I see what your suggesting Virgo's Haircut, and thats just daft.

It has been the players reaction EVERY time to being dropped that has caused the problems, not McGhee doing anything other than shuffling the team to try and get the best blend.

McCammon - Went loony and called the radio
Knight - drove off, had a strop etc etc..
Jarrett - Slacked off in training with a not bothered attitude
Kuipers - Threw a strop

Cant blame MM for players responses...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I do think its odd that it is all the black players he is falling out with but as he bought 2 of them and seems to be getting on ok with Carole and CKR I don't think theres much in it. I think the connection is more likely to do with their backgrounds, 1 is dutch (notoriously temperamental) and the other 3 are from working class London backgrounds (I think) where you have to stick up for yourself, right or wrong.

I think MM did say something like they had a 'black attitude' or that they 'had a black man's body and a black mans brain'. Or was that someone else, who knows. Mark Wright come in your time is up.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Agree with you in principle but I think Martin would have come on if necessary.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Les Biehn said:
I do think its odd that it is all the black players he is falling out with but as he bought 2 of them and seems to be getting on ok with Carole and CKR I don't think theres much in it. I think the connection is more likely to do with their backgrounds, 1 is dutch (notoriously temperamental) and the other 3 are from working class London backgrounds (I think) where you have to stick up for yourself, right or wrong.

I think MM did say something like they had a 'black attitude' or that they 'had a black man's body and a black mans brain'. Or was that someone else, who knows. Mark Wright come in your time is up.

Oh no not the 'Race' card ? The 'Black attitude' sadly does exist and I've seen it in a work situation. Mind you I've seen the same attitude amongst whites too.

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
McGhee's man management skills do seem to be somewhat lacking.

No, it's your judgement that is somewhat lacking. The facts are as set out in the Argus today and Naylor's assessment of FDM's behaviour is spot on.

It's a shame it's come to this. He started out badly with the fans and was dubbed Michelle Pfeiffer by the fanzines, it seems he wants to end his time with us as a drama queen too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here