Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why fewer bums on seats at PL games?

Why are there fewer people in grounds?

• Covid Concerns

Votes: 104 63.0%
  • Covid Restrictions

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Price

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • Out of the habit

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The club do spot checks for Covid docs and screening i guess.
But do you really think its all a ruse to sell more tea ?
Why don't they just ban you from bringing in sweets or crisps or sandwiches etc if they wanted to make more ££ from the catering . Cinemas do.
Why do you keep referring to the tea being about the money? You are making your argument sound desperate.

It is a small added benefit. But it comes in completely at the cost to the consumer and not for the pathetic reasons given about security.

When you factor many of the other reasons, mostly small as well, that are now mounting up in order to get to, enjoy time at and get away from the game, it just sends a few more fans in the direction of their armchair and that is something that will be present in the mind of the club board even if you think it's all hunky dory.

Edit: and just seen your Barber quotes. It's simple, you believe him, I don't. And I suspect a lot of other people will suspect he's talking bull.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Club made a big thing about what a favour they are doing with ticket exchange. Well less than 100 seats available and still not up. Leaving it so late just means people make other plans so little chance of selling ticket. OK if could give away to anybody including if not to friends a charity

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why do you keep referring to the tea being about the money? You are making your argument sound desperate.

It is a small added benefit. But it comes in completely at the cost to the consumer and not for the pathetic reasons given about security.

When you factor many of the other reasons, mostly small as well, that are now mounting up in order to get to, enjoy time at and get away from the game, it just sends a few more fans in the direction of their armchair and that is something that will be present in the mind of the club board even if you think it's all hunky dory.

Edit: and just seen your Barber quotes. It's simple, you believe him, I don't. And I suspect a lot of other people will suspect he's talking bull.

Thanks, saved me the bother !

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
for me living 200 miles away always had a ST on basis would make say half of home games and get a bit of priority re away games - drove to all games home or away - from when Amex opened until this summer had ST al the time apart from one six months just after Hyypia season

took decision not to renew this summer due to a multitude of reasons re:
- income down re covid
- where I sat could no longer see south stand goal re where our management team stand all the time
- bloke in seat next to mine spending all match moaning
- was waiting to see what happened re covid ( more rules there were, more likely was to renew )

Anyways post cancelling ST turns out could have afforded to renew ( long story ) and almost did - thing that stopped me is the lack of car parking this season re not being able to get tickets re Bridge car park and not wanting to go by train as so crowded

Turns out not renewing was a great decision for me re:

- can still get away game tickets as Albion+ member, been to Leicester and Villa
- only way can get to Amex is by train and is too crowded for my liking, did this for Leicester home game by train, whilst in Falmer train queue for 45 minutes could look at half empty "sold out" Bridge car park ( feel sorry for those that renewed ST expecting to get car parking there this season )

Should also add that Leicester home game was first one I saw us win with GP in charge - managed to always be at games we drew or lost one nil having had 69% possession, 21 shots and no goals - only so many times you can endure this - last two games pre covid was at re Palace at home and Wolves away summed us up pretty well

As Bry Nylon alludes to League One is great value - can go to Burton Albion nearby, £5 car park, £23 seat in main stand, coffee under 2 quid, burgers under 3 quid etc - football lower quality but you get some goals which is what is all about, and no need to wait until have driven 4 hours home to check tv highlights re what the hell VAR decisions were all about either

As opposed to now in summary
- loads of our games on tv, can watch in warm, see what happens re VAR in real time
- is a lot cheaper
Yes you miss atmosphere, but lot less likely to feel you have wasted a while day and large amount of cash and possibly spread covid too

If you had told me 18 months ago would go to Amex once in two years ( which it will be if next home game is in March which is quite likely for lot of family reasons ) then would have said you were talking rubbish

Club say have record ST holders, every game a sell out, implies all great - but like others have said may well be 3k to 5k ( at a complete guess ) who take view in spring have hardly been this season re covid fears, not missed it much, not for me Clive and cancel their ST

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Speaking personally it's all of them.

I gave up my season ticket just before COVID hit because it was becoming too expensive.
Since COVID I've had no interest in getting on packed trains, which also means I'm not buying tickets match by match as was my plan when giving up the ST.
I'm definitely out of the habit.

Make that two.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
_and_Son went off to Uni this year so gave up ST. Went to one of the early games and felt *very* exposed by the lack of masking on the train, on the concourse and at our seats. Certainly not going to a game before Christmas.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
For various reasons I'm an armchair fan these days, but even if I wanted to start attending matches my answer would be, it's too bloody complicated. Registering, membership, booking in advance, tickets on smart phones (I haven't got one) - it's just not the way I watched football (though these days I would be glad of the change to sitting rather than standing). Yes, I'm a dinosaur, OK - those of you who've got used to 21st. century football ticketing and admission to the ground, well done you.
But what I would ask, out of interest, is this: are other clubs as obsessed as PB is about ticket sharing, membership, loyalty points, not opening the ticket exchange unless they absolutely have to, the need to have the life history of the occupant of every seat (well, maybe not quite, but you know what I mean) - not to mention the hunt for illegal bottle tops - or are they just more relaxed, and dare I say, normal about letting people just buy or borrow a ticket and come in?
I appreciate Covid has added difficulties, but the things I mention above are not Covid related obstacles.

A lot to be said for this. Fine if the Albion has a massive excess of fans that can be ‘bothered’ like all the big clubs. But we don’t. So thousands of seats are empty which would otherwise be full. Football is expensive. And often a lot of hassle. Who pays for hassle in their lives? Only for the love of family and friends…but even then, it can wear thin! Such a bonkers economical model Football, uniquely so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
for me living 200 miles away always had a ST on basis would make say half of home games and get a bit of priority re away games - drove to all games home or away - from when Amex opened until this summer had ST al the time apart from one six months just after Hyypia season

- income down re covid
- where I sat could no longer see south stand goal re where our management team stand all the time
- was waiting to see what happened re covid ( more rules there were, more likely was to renew )

Anyways post cancelling ST turns out could have afforded to renew ( long story ) and almost did - thing that stopped me is the lack of car parking this season re not being able to get tickets re Bridge car park and not wanting to go by train as so crowded

- can still get away game tickets as Albion+ member, been to Leicester and Villa
- only way can get to Amex is by train and is too crowded for my liking, did this for Leicester home game by train, whilst in Falmer train queue for 45 minutes could look at half empty "sold out" Bridge car park ( feel sorry for those that renewed ST expecting to get car parking there this season )

Should also add that Leicester home game was first one I saw us win with GP in charge - managed to always be at games we drew or lost one nil having had 69% possession, 21 shots and no goals - only so many times you can endure this - last two games pre covid was at re Palace at home and Wolves away summed us up pretty well

As Bry Nylon alludes to League One is great value - can go to Burton Albion nearby, £5 car park, £23 seat in main stand, coffee under 2 quid, burgers under 3 quid etc - football lower quality but you get some goals which is what is all about, and no need to wait until have driven 4 hours home to check tv highlights re what the hell VAR decisions were all about either

- loads of our games on tv, can watch in warm, see what happens re VAR in real time
- is a lot cheaper
Yes you miss atmosphere, but lot less likely to feel you have wasted a while day and large amount of cash and possibly spread covid too

If you had told me 18 months ago would go to Amex once in two years ( which it will be if next home game is in March which is quite likely for lot of family reasons ) then would have said you were talking rubbish

Club say have record ST holders, every game a sell out, implies all great - but like others have said may well be 3k to 5k ( at a complete guess ) who take view in spring have hardly been this season re covid fears, not missed it much, not for me Clive and cancel their ST

Two points:

1. Yes but, do Burton Albion sell EPL tea, coffee and burgers?

2. Atmosphere, what is that?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

- income down re covid

- is a lot cheaper

When did you go to Leicester away this season ??

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m wondering of PB’s favourite movie is Airplane.

Get the granny with the flask.

Whilst allowing everything else in.

He’s no doubt got data on all incidents at football grounds that have been caused by a stray thermos, undertaken a full risk assessment, compiled a report (that will run to many, many pages) etc etc. At least it’s no problem taking bottle tops in these days :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The bubble has burst?

Quite possibly at certain clubs.

Whilst Leeds, Liverpool and Newcastle, for example, still appear rammed.

At the very least a changing of the guard. A lot of long standing supporters, not necessarily elderly, have tired of the cost and ever growing protocols just in the hope of seeing 11 men win a game of football.

Arsenal and Spuds have gone through this already. The cash register squeezed out a huge swathe of support from attending, replaced by quite well off Rupert’s and Quentin’s.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The moved for TV games can’t be helping, I’m pleased to see a fair few posts mentioning this.
We have played 7 home games in the PL, 5 have been 5.30 KO, 1 on a Sunday 2PM KO and only 1 3PM, the next 3 home games obviously not on a Saturday at 3PM.
I’m honestly not impressed with odd kick off times for home games, I’m sure someone will be along to tell me it’s the success of being in the Premier League, but this is bollox as we have played 8 away PL games and 6 games have been 3PM kick offs. ???
Happy days for Albion away support.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The moved for TV games can’t be helping, I’m pleased to see a fair few posts mentioning this.
We have played 7 home games in the PL, 5 have been 5.30 KO, 1 on a Sunday 2PM KO and only 1 3PM, the next 3 home games obviously not on a Saturday at 3PM.
I’m honestly not impressed with odd kick off times for home games, I’m sure someone will be along to tell me it’s the success of being in the Premier League, but this is bollox as we have played 8 away PL games and 6 games have been 3PM kick offs. ???
Happy days for Albion away support.

We are the victim here of having a lovely ground with top quality facilities for the TV companies. They aren't stupid and know a good thing when it's going.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, I know there are paper options and all that - but one phrase in your post sums up the sea-change that has occerred in recent years, which regulars like yourself have grown used to and accept: "Several calls checking in with how it was going etc." - as if it was quite normal. In 50 years of watching football - not regularly, but when I got the chance - I don't think I ever once phoned a football club. Why would I?
I haven't been to a match since we were promoted (apart from the EFL Trophy at Forest Green), but up until then I regularly watched the Albion away when they were in reasonable driving or train-ride reach - Swindon, Bristol, Cheltenham, Birmingham, etc. - and never did anything except turn up and ask them nicely if I could buy a ticket and come in. Never ever turned away. The only time I'd ever had a booked ticket was Bristol City in our promotion year - my son-in-law in Bristol purchased the tickets in advance (and there's a story about that which would make PB's hair curl (which in itself is a pretty tall order!))

Albion actually called him …

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I don’t doubt its a benefit that’s been removed or that for some it’s a tipping point. I’m just curious to understand that for those that think Barber is lying as you do ( “it’s bull” “it’s not security” “pathetic” ) then what do you think is the real reason that they’re banned ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here