Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't life mean LIFE?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Can someone please explain why this bloke Barker can get sentenced for having a 'major role' in Baby Ps' death and then be convicted again for raping a 2 year old girl..........and yet his sentences run CONCURRENTLY?
It drives me mad.......this means he is effectively being let off any punishment for one of the crimes.
Why???

Exactly.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Life does mean life but.............................they can be released on licence its only when they have served what a board consider enough time inside that they can be released on licence to live a "normal" life whatever that can be after some of the crimes commited and the thing that concerns me is that any victims or relatives have no or little imput into that board.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Can someone please explain why this bloke Barker can get sentenced for having a 'major role' in Baby Ps' death and then be convicted again for raping a 2 year old girl..........and yet his sentences run CONCURRENTLY?
It drives me mad.......this means he is effectively being let off any punishment for one of the crimes.
Why???

God only knows that one has always stuck in my craw

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
.....anyone out there answer this pls?

I can understand it if there were a lot of offences. I once attended a case where there were about 100 charges of burglary - if the crims had got a few months consecutively for each of, then they'd been have been in prison for about 30 years. But when there are just two or three, it baffles me too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We had a customer in one of our pubs who had served 2 life sentences and was still only in his late forties.

In America they give long terms which sound ridiculous like a fraudster got 160 years recently so even with parole he will never ever come out. Why can't our judges sentence people to 90 years which with a 1/3 off would still mean serving 60 years which in most cases would see out most peoples life time, except for those who commit the crime at a very young age.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The Law Commission looked at this very point earlier this year. The government rejected splitting murder into categories as it would be perceived as 'being soft on crime'

Ah, the power of the tabloids. "Perceived" in cases like this really does mean "strung out across all the front pages", and the details of why the policy was being brought in - which are perfectly reasonable here - would be hidden away and unnoticed.

Of course the Government (whichever party happens to be in power) shouldn't be afraid of the tabloids, but in all honesty can you blame them, when even a reasonable move like this would see them (including just the individuals) being taken apart?

(Yes, I know there are instances where it's more called for, but they're not the point here).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can understand it if there were a lot of offences. I once attended a case where there were about 100 charges of burglary - if the crims had got a few months consecutively for each of, then they'd been have been in prison for about 30 years. But when there are just two or three, it baffles me too.

Each crime should be a consecutive sentence. Even if it means 30 years for 100 burglaries.

We had a customer in one of our pubs who had served 2 life sentences and was still only in his late forties.

In America they give long terms which sound ridiculous like a fraudster got 160 years recently so even with parole he will never ever come out. Why can't our judges sentence people to 90 years which with a 1/3 off would still mean serving 60 years which in most cases would see out most peoples life time, except for those who commit the crime at a very young age.

Doesn't always work like that.

Recently US soldiers who were involved in the murders of an Iraqi mother,father, 6yo girl and the rape and murder of a 14yo from the same family got lengthy sentences of around a 100 years but will be eligible for parole after 10 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here