Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Gus constantly tout himself for Chelsea Job?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
De Matteo winning the Champions League wasn't up to scratch according to the Russian so a manager who has only won a League One Championship probably doesn't feature too high on Abramovich's wish list

What direction do they go though ? Benitez certainly won't get it, they've tried just about all the top managers in the world and the one they really want has gone to Bayern, so they're running out of options other than going for an up and coming manager - which they've also tried in AVB, but he rubbed people up the wrong way too quickly. I can absolutely see either Zola or GP being in the frame come the summer. I would probably put Zola in with more of a chance though.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Because he's fuckin brilliant, he's fuckin brilliant?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
With a record of having eight managers in five years, I would imagine that any manager including Gus would think very carefully before signing up for the Abramovich guillotine.

Nah, he'd fancy it and the payoff when he didn't win every game would set him up for life. I have no doubts that Gus would walk the moment he got the call

scooter1

How soon is now?
Chelsea have already chewed up and spat out some of the best managers in the game. There will come a time when no decent managers will want that job as, although they have good players and a decent budget, that person will just be Romans puppet. Which will just leave lower grade managers and a potential downward spiral. I read somewhere that since Abramovich took over Chelsea he has spent(ahem, invested) £1billion.....bonkers money

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What direction do they go though ? Benitez certainly won't get it, they've tried just about all the top managers in the world and the one they really want has gone to Bayern, so they're running out of options other than going for an up and coming manager - which they've also tried in AVB, but he rubbed people up the wrong way too quickly. I can absolutely see either Zola or GP being in the frame come the summer. I would probably put Zola in with more of a chance though.

Gus and Abramovich would be a fantastic clash of egos but there would only be one winner. The sound bites from Gus would be compulsive viewing, I almost want it to happen just for the entertainment value :smile:

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Nah, he'd fancy it and the payoff when he didn't win every game would set him up for life. I have no doubts that Gus would walk the moment he got the call

If his motivation for the game is money then I would agree with you.
Looking at his career he is possibly already set up for life so his love of the game may outweigh money.

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
Did you hear Gus on radio Sussex this morning or just now - talking about his 150 game leading the albion - he said consistency and stability is very important re managers - can't recall his exact words but along the lines of it is bad for a club if they keep changing their managers.

This confirms what he has always said re Wenger and fergie

Yes if something really special came along - well who knows but I really do not believe it would be Chelsea with Abramowitz at the helm

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If Gus is asked a question, he will give an honest answer.

This is it in a nutshell. Gus doesn't tout himself but answers questions when asked. It seems that a lot of pundits/commentators need to say something so choose to mention Poyet, amongst others.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
If i hadn't have looked i would have sworn this was some sort of Ernest post !!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
All the Chelski I know absolutely love him and many look out for our results BECAUSE of him. Assume this is fishing but some people are pretty mental so you never know

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Next Permanent Chelsea Manager After Benitez

Next Permanent Manager

Jose Mourinho7/4

Jurgen Klopp9/2

Guus Hiddink8/1

Diego Simeone12/1

Michael Laudrup12/1

Gianfranco Zola12/1

Gus Poyet16/1

Avram Grant22/1

Joachim Loew22/1

David Moyes25/1

John Terry25/1

Andriy Shevchenko25/1

Ray Wilkins33/1

Roberto Mancini33/1

Roberto Martinez33/1

Brendan Rogers33/1

Fabio Capello33/1

Cesare Prandelli40/1

Paulo Di Canio40/1

Dennis Wise50/1

Pep Guardiola50/1

Dan Petrescu50/1

Craig Levein100/1

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
He might not last long,but he will have a few million in the bank when he takes up his next position. also Chelsea on his CV would open a few more doors.

repomanse25

Jan 17, 2009
hove
if he gets brighton up this season then he will have some cred but if not hes just another also ran

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
One day in the future hopefully he gets to manage Chelsea because that is the type of job he's working towards. But not before he's finished the job with us. He's doing well because he's talented, he's got a great chairman who gives him stability, enough money to be competitive and who's given him a massive role in structuring the club both on the football side of things and physically (having a big say on the designs of the amex changing rooms and new training complex).

Gus knows this and is realistic. As said above, he's honest too. When asked about promotion, he says 'in a few years', when asked about Chelsea he says 'of course I'd like to manage them in the future'.

Nothing wrong with that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sounds like fishing, but I doubt any Chelsea fans "hate" him.
No, surely not. It's not like he started a thread earlier about Brighton players coming out as gay. Oh.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
The Sky Sports lot were talking about how he'd be the ideal next appointment earlier (ex-player, young manager etc.) and they made a worrying amount of sense. I'd hate for it to happen but I wouldn't blame him at all if he got the chance.

D

Deleted member 2719

If Gus is asked a question, he will give an honest answer.

What about.........................Gus would you accept responsibility for some of the points dropped by negative tactics when the team are in front for the last 20 mins?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here