Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do YOU think Scholes had a bad game on Sunday??

Why do YOU think Scholes had a bad game against the French??

• Because he's ginger and I don't like em because they are so handsome

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Because I'm a complete fool who knows f*** all about soccer

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Because he plays for Man United and I don't like them horrors

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Because I wasn't watching the game and am basing my opinion on that of a blind and deaf guy I was ta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because Gareth and Dave think so and the sun, quite clearly, shines out of their arses

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
While the ManUre connection doesn't help... it is still pretty fair to say that he had a poor game - or more accurately, a poor second half.

OK - he wasn't helped by the over-defensive performance, especially in the second half - tackling is not exactly his strong suit, after all. And with no midfield to speak of for most of the 2nd half, it was hard to be at all creative when we did get the ball.

Beckham didn't help matters - Gerrard had a similarly poor second half. Lampard at least put himself about a bit, and was probably the most effective of the four.

Scholes - still poor though - and ginger - and a ManUre player. :jester:

:cool:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is you opinion more valid than others then Chappers because you are backed up by your NSP toadies ? For what's it's worth I thought he played ok but I'd give far more credit to King and Campbell as Zidane, who you say was marked out of the game, managed to put plenty of balls past this magnificent ginger player. The fact that the French forwards didn't latch onto them had more to do with the defenders than the midfield.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:
Is you opinion more valid than others then Chappers because you are backed up by your NSP toadies ? For what's it's worth I thought he played ok but I'd give far more credit to King and Campbell as Zidane, who you say was marked out of the game, managed to put plenty of balls past this magnificent ginger player. The fact that the French forwards didn't latch onto them had more to do with the defenders than the midfield.

Now that IS a valid point and one worthy of discussion but it's also the first one that I've seen on the subject of Scholes IMHO. To say ZZ was marked out of the game may have been a bit over the top but he was certainly kept very quiet and I think Scholes had more to do with that than most even though he shouldn't have been anywhere near him (that was Beckhams job).

This thread is tongue in cheek, my opinion is no more valid than anyones (except GGs over the top knee jerk ones) but I just found it astounding that Beckham and Gerrard were getting very little stick compared to Scholes who played well.

Icy Gull said:

Was the "NSP toadies" aimed at me? Sorry I didn't punctuate my original post with :dunce: :jester: or any other smilies so you could tell it was meant to be sarcastic.

FWIW I thought that Scholes had a reasonably good game. He gave Cole plenty of help and linked well with the rest of the midfield and the forwards. He was certainly more effective in open play than Beckham, and Gerrard was a lot more withdrawn than usual, although that was more to do with the formation and tactics I think.

MOM for me though was King. I thought he did fantastically well when he was under so much pressure to perform.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
Icy Gull said:

He wasn't as 'outstanding' as King and Cambell but in my opinion he was our best midfielder by a way and it's just a tad frustrating to see slanderous comments aimed at him when they're not just.

It's the whole 'kick him while he's down'/'easy target' scenario just because he hasn't scored since June 2001. I bet if he played rubbish and scored most people would have been praising him.

I am a toady so shouldn't take sides but I thought the majority thought Scholes played well and didn't deserve special critism above any other midfielders (namely Gerrard and Becks)

Great player. Unbelievable vision.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Some people on here must have been off their faces watching this game if they believe Scholes is to blame. And as for James. HE COULDN'T PICK IT UP IT WAS A BACK PASS THAT'S WHY HE WENT IN FEET FIRST. Do you really think he wouldn't have used his hands otherwise?

Beckham was half a yard off the pace and had a poor game, especially by his standards.
Gerrard made a back pass which even I wouldn't have attempted.
Owen was non-existent and like Beckham half a yard off the pace.
Heskey shouldn't have made the tackle - In fact he shouldn't have been on (Why was Rooney off the pitch?)

To blame Scholes or James is just a vendetta. Jones and Oatway get the same treatment on here as well due to reputation regardless of how well they actually play.

All in all it was a good performance at stopping the French play - How many shots did they have other than the 2 in the last 2 minutes? However, barring Rooney and set pieces our creativity level was low and our ball retention poor. My worry is that against the Swiss they will put 10 men behind the ball and we wont find a way through. If we cant beat the Swiss though we don't deserve to be in the last 8 anyway. I do believe though that Sven is happier with his teams performance in defeat than say Trapottoni's in getting a draw. They made the Danish look like world beaters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Toadie comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and was meant tongue in cheek as an alternative to lizards :rolleyes:

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
we're so good!!! Imagine Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard AND Beckham ALL firing on all sylinders... World beaters!!

I was well impressed by our performance, I reckon we could go all the way :clap:

Played very well and lost. That happens. Get over it and smash the Switz on my birthday!!! woo

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hannibal smith said:
Some people on here must have been off their faces watching this game if they believe Scholes is to blame. And as for James. HE COULDN'T PICK IT UP IT WAS A BACK PASS THAT'S WHY HE WENT IN FEET FIRST. Do you really think he wouldn't have used his hands otherwise?

Yes. He SHOULD have picked it up as then France would only have had a free-kick as opposed to a penalty. I know it would have been in the area, but how many times do you see attackers score from those? At the very worst it would have been the 'safer' option. He didn't think quick enough..

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Brovian said:
Yes. He SHOULD have picked it up as then France would only have had a free-kick as opposed to a penalty. I know it would have been in the area, but how many times do you see attackers score from those? At the very worst it would have been the 'safer' option. He didn't think quick enough..

Fair point but I'm sick of reading about James being to blame. If it had been Phil Neville making the back pass to say Gordon Banks, the blame would have been 100% Neville, 0% Banks. England players get sterotyped by the tabloids and many people dont watch what happens but blame the easy targets.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So

The shun shines out of my arse does it?

I'll remember that when I am handing over my tent tonight

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here