Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we have to have canned laughter and applause?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Dear Points of View,

Whilst waiting for the resumption of the tennis I just watched the Lotto draw.

Why, oh why, oh why do we have to have this stupid canned applause all the time. Does he BBC think we are so thick that we need to be shown how entertaining a program is, or how funny someone is with canned laughter.

Stop it now!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
canned laughter is embedded for the thickies so they know when to laugh

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Agree but sometimes it works fools & horses always had canned laughter or a live audience but when they filmed a Xmas special there was no canned laughter and it didn't feel the same .

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Dear Points of View,

Whilst waiting for the resumption of the tennis I just watched the Lotto draw.

Why, oh why, oh why do we have to have this stupid canned applause all the time. Does he BBC think we are so thick that we need to be shown how entertaining a program is, or how funny someone is with canned laughter.

Stop it now!!

Just what I said to Mrs Fef. Utterly pointless.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Atmospheric value.
Perhaps they should have crowd noises over the PA at cpfc

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I have to take canned groaning into every bedroom I've entered. hehe ..... only joking

D

Deleted member 18477

Agree but sometimes it works fools & horses always had canned laughter or a live audience but when they filmed a Xmas special there was no canned laughter and it didn't feel the same .

This. And friends & other American sitcoms. Regardless of whether you like them or not, the canned laughter worked!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have a canned laughter app that i have attached to my posts so that even when i stare into NSC and see no tickled replies to my inherently drab perceptions i get what i think i deserve: a cavalcade of obese Americans thrown into hysterics, just as if they were watching a My Two Dads triple-bill. Within the app i can change the nationality of the laughs so on occasion i switch to the inauthentic hoots of the idiotic irish who roll in the aisles of Mrs Brown's Boys, or a Chinese guffaw when Cato gets one over Clouseau without riposte. I like to pretend my humour is universal.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If used effectively, it can enhance a programme, but overused it is very intrusive.

I think using it in the wrong place is cringeworthy - things that just patently are not funny. I think we'd miss it if it wasn't there, possibly because we just so used to it.

US progs are worse IMO - they need canned laughter in many of the comedys, they're just so bad. Has anyone ever even smirked at anthing in How I Met Your Mother ? Dreadful acting, appalling writing.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Even worse are the 'aaahs', gasps and 'ooooh's' when something sad happens.

American teen shows are totally manic on this. I do try and stop my g'kids watching this hysterical pap (although there's some fine young tottie)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here