Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why do we have a manager?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Its obvious dick knight dictates everything at the club,also its always the managers that take the flack and not dick:glare:its no wonder managers wizz out of the club in quick time and only the internal managers that tolerate it.

move on dick as 11 years of lacking ambition and potless is long enough:nono:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I actually have time for that opinion now.

Scary. A few months ago I'd have called you a wind up merchant.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Probably for the same reason you have a manager in any business. They are tasked with making the company perform with the tools available. It is the owners job to make strategic decisions and make the tools and money available to the manager.

If Dick puts in a million quid of his own money he is entitled to have influence over where that money goes. Besides, you've actually got no clue how much influence Wilkins had over the signings so it's a pointless argument. He may have picked all the signings personally and Dick just did the negotiations.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Its obvious dick knight dictates everything at the club,also its always the managers that take the flack and not dick:glare:its no wonder managers wizz out of the club in quick time and only the internal managers that tolerate it.

What if its the manager who isn't any cop? Who can't negotiate and who can't deal with the public?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Probably for the same reason you have a manager in any business. They are tasked with making the company perform with the tools available. It is the owners job to make strategic decisions and make the tools and money available to the manager.

If Dick puts in a million quid of his own money he is entitled to have influence over where that money goes. Besides, you've actually got no clue how much influence Wilkins had over the signings so it's a pointless argument. He may have picked all the signings personally and Dick just did the negotiations.
Actually chairmans are supposed to have faith in the manager and let them buy and find players as to the funds that are available.How often do we see wilkins stating im after certain players etc?you don't as mr knight does that for him.:drink:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I am sorry, but that is not a good blueprint on how a professional football club should be run.

The Manager and his Coaching and Scouting staff should identify talent for their specific roles within their team.

The Chairman should work closely with those people and of course can have an input into the financial aspect, supporting whenever they can and saying no if it is not thought feasible.

You cannot have a Chairman having a direct say in which players should stay or go and he himself recommending future playing staff.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
The points you made clearly state that a new manager would be required,but what happens if the manager has no say in the transfer window?

he becomes the victim and scapegoat:)

True but instead of wondering IF he has a say in the transfer window - I question WHY....

Dick must have a reason - be it that he's holding the purse strings or that he doesn't trust the manager to make the right decision, I don't know....What I know for sure is that none of us know the real reason...so we're all really just guessing...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
True but instead of wondering IF he has a say in the transfer window - I question WHY....

Dick must have a reason - be it that he's holding the purse strings or that he doesn't trust the manager to make the right decision, I don't know....What I know for sure is that none of us know the real reason...so we're all really just guessing...
Yep just guessing you're right;)
but i would prefer it if transfers and targets where spoken by the manager like everyother club bar us:annoyed:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
but i would prefer it if transfers and targets where spoken by the manager like everyother club bar us:annoyed:

I probably would too to be honest - but our club doesn't so I have to live with that...on the plus side, Deano then just has to focus on doing something with whats he's got.....instead of being involved too heavily in dealing with agents and contracts....surely if he felt that bad about the way DK runs things then he'd either pipe up publicly like most of the rest of the squad seem to do or leave?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Manager and his Coaching and Scouting staff should identify talent for their specific roles within their team.

The Chairman should work closely with those people and of course can have an input into the financial aspect, supporting whenever they can and saying no if it is not thought feasible.

Ok,

1) How do you know that is not what is happening?

You cannot have a Chairman having a direct say in which players should stay or go and he himself recommending future playing staff.

And,

2) IF that is what is happening then it's served us pretty well up until now when we should have been down and out a long long long time ago and certainly have no automatic right to be where we are given our recent history.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

He is an egotistical man and to some extent just a fan, who feels that he could be a manager.

That is the problem.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Well said, many a manager has been made scapegoated once the heat has been turned up on DK. Sorry but he has lost plot and needs to take a back seat before he is remembered as the chairman that failed us rather than the one that saved us.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ok,

1) How do you know that is not what is happening?

And,

2) IF that is what is happening then it's served us pretty well up until now when we should have been down and out a long long long time ago and certainly have no automatic right to be where we are given our recent history.

But you cant have a Chairman doing that, now can you ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If its that bad why does DW stay?
the last months happenings.

Because this might be an opportunity for him to succeed, I reckon he himself is wondering whether he can continue after what happened last month, but I suspect that he will continue until DK uses him as a scapegoat.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

This is quite frankly flabberghasting.

I am sure that any club would appreciate two championships and a play-off win from a chairman who is "lacking ambition" and the successful conclusion to a seven-year planning process.

Name managers who have wizzed out of the club for anything less than a better-financed higher-division position on the back of the success they have achieved here. I give you one - McGhee and if you were at Luton or home to Stoke you should know why he had to go.

Does anyone think that DK goes round the country scouting or picks player targets out of the News of the World? Murray has been a target for over a year. Based on scouting and DW's choice. DK is the chairman, why should he not negotiate contracts and dicate finances?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
the last months happenings.

Because this might be an opportunity for him to succeed, I reckon he himself is wondering whether he can continue after what happened last month, but I suspect that he will continue until DK uses him as a scapegoat.

Thats a guess I'm assuming. To add my guess to the mix I'd think DW is in the best position he's been in for a while so is rolling with the punches frankly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here