Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do sky keep showing Man Utd?

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Seriously, they are on AGAIN tomorrow in the Carling Cup...

Barnsley v Man Utd

The question I ask is WHY?... When you have...

Sunderland v Aston Villa or Tottenham v Everton to choose from?

It's getting a little boring watching Man Utd on there every week let alone twice a chuffing week.

SNORT IT OUT SKY!!! :rant: :rant:

Monty

Feb 21, 2008
the other games are hardly 'must see' games either. Safe option with Utd, plenty of guarenteed viewers.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
After Barnsleys cut upsets last year them playing Maunure seems like a decent game to be shown live...

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Do a survey of sky viewers on who they'd rather watch. Liverpool are on too, as are Arsenal, are you going to have a pop at them, too? Of course not.

Ridiculous.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Do a survey of sky viewers on who they'd rather watch. Liverpool are on too, as are Arsenal, are you going to have a pop at them, too? Of course not.

Ridiculous.

Correct, of course I'm not because that is the best fixture on the Wednesday, whereas Tuesday's one sided bolleuax will be an utter SHITFEST compared to the other choices available that night.

A quick rummage ahead to Saturday's live sport sees Man Utd on again in another one sided home fixture against Blackburn when there are other more equal contests to be enjoyed, although I can hardly blame sky as this is ESPN's choice.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Out of the three games you mention, I think I'd much rather see the Utd game. I'm no Utd supporter, but S'land v Villa sounds pretty dull, any game involving Everton is probably going to be quite boring. Having said that, I may not watch at all.

Think of it this way, it's always nice to see United lose and even better from a team in a lower division. Got to be a chance, Fergie will play a 2nd eleven to be sure.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It all comes down to advertising really, a lot of people will be interested in watching manure play on tele and therefore advertisers pay sky more money for adverts as they feel they will have higher exposure.

Games of regional importance also get alot of coverage. I was always surprised that Palace get so many games on Sky sometimes four or five in one season but it was explained to me by someone in advertising that because of their catchment area being so large, advertisers would expect alot of people to watch the game and in turn could charge more for adverts. I would imagine that if/when Brighton get into the Championship, we would get pretty reasonable coverage on sky too, as Brighton and it’s surrounding areas being one of the largest conurbations in southern England and there are no rival teams for miles.
The Southampton Brighton game next month will be probably be watched by quite a high number of people from both areas as the combined population of both clubs catchement areas would easily exceed 2 million.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sky is "Showing the Champions a lot - SHOCK".

Has it taken this long for you to notice? Trigger would seem an apt nickname. :wink:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
whereas Tuesday's one sided bolleuax will be an utter SHITFEST compared to the other choices available that night.

I can't imagine United putting out a full strength team. So Barnsley vs Man Utd reserves, most of whom probably won't be up for playing on a cold, wet, Tuesday evening, e.g. Nani, might be quite interesting. I'll watch that over Sunderland v Aston Villa or Tottenham v Everton.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Correct, of course I'm not because that is the best fixture on the Wednesday, whereas Tuesday's one sided bolleuax will be an utter SHITFEST compared to the other choices available that night. A quick rummage ahead to Saturday's live sport sees Man Utd on again in another one sided home fixture against Blackburn when there are other more equal contests to be enjoyed, although I can hardly blame sky as this is ESPN's choice.

That's fair, but imo, I'd rather see Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool matches every week on sky, for this reason: I follow the Albion everwhere, because i love them. Any other football I watch is for either social reasons, or because it is the best qualla going. Anything else, i.e. Hull v Stoke, is pointless to me.

Only opinions i suppose...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
That's fair, but imo, I'd rather see Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool matches every week on sky, for this reason: I follow the Albion everwhere, because i love them. Any other football I watch is for either social reasons, or because it is the best qualla going. Anything else, i.e. Hull v Stoke, is pointless to me.

Only opinions i suppose...

Give me an even Burnley v Hull six point relegation scrap anyday over a Man Utd v Blackburn one sided affair, I guess it's all about opinion but I'd rather see even games week in week out rather than one sided affairs, I'd have no problem if it was Man Utd v Liv, Ars, Chel etc but when they repeatedly show them against lesser clubs where you know days in advance what the result is going to be it gets a bit zzzzzzzzz.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I do think Sky and ESPN do show show too much of united generally but for the Carling Cup fixtures I think they've chosen the best two, the all Premiership ties will be reserves v reserves.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The big teams draw bigger audiences.

When sky try to big up other teams, try to make it sound like Wigan v Fulham is a top game, they get criticised for over selling the premier league. Whatever they do they're going to get criticised.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Give me an even Burnley v Hull six point relegation scrap anyday over a Man Utd v Blackburn one sided affair, I guess it's all about opinion but I'd rather see even games week in week out rather than one sided affairs, I'd have no problem if it was Man Utd v Liv, Ars, Chel etc but when they repeatedly show them against lesser clubs where you know days in advance what the result is going to be it gets a bit zzzzzzzzz.

Burnley beat Utd.

Wigan beat Chelsea.

Sunderland beat Liverpool.

West Ham drew with Arsenal

And I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them. So, how can you say you know the outcome if the lesser teams beat them..

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I know I have been out of the country for a while, but has the watching of football on Sky now been made compulsory?? Do Sky only supply remote controls that can only tune to the football channels?? Do these new fangled flat screen telly box things not have an off switch??

You could do something else you know. Just a suggestion... :laugh:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Burnley beat Utd.

Wigan beat Chelsea.

Sunderland beat Liverpool.

West Ham drew with Arsenal

And I'm sure there are more, just can't think of them. So, how can you say you know the outcome if the lesser teams beat them..

Because all those mentioned the 'big' club was away from home, Utd will not lose to Blackburn in front of the prawn sandwich brigade.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Because all those mentioned the 'big' club was away from home, Utd will not lose to Blackburn in front of the prawn sandwich brigade.

True, but whatever you may think of the Prawn Sandwich Brigade, Old Trafford is a great place to watch and play football, Ferguson is a fantastic manager, and Manchester United are one of the best teams in the world to watch on the tellybox.

Remember, if you don't want to watch it, as said above, don't. Match choice is on from 10 ish, and you can choose which match you want to watch, albeit not live.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a Sky subscriber with no interest in the Prem (I've got Sky for cricket, rugby and American football). However if there's nothing else on or I fancy watching a bit of soccerball then I'd FAR rather watch Man U or Arsenal as opposed to Blackburn, Bolton, Villa, Wolves, Stoke, Burnley, etc.

So as far as I'm concerned I wish they were on every week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here