Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people doubt Gus?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I genuinely don't get why a seemingly small but vocal minority on NSC would be happy for Gus to leave if another club came in for him. Just baffled.

Still "it's all about opinions". So let's try and analyse their reasoning to see if it stands up. As far as I can tell their reasons for waving Gus goodbye would be...

1. He won't commit to Brighton for ever - he's always saying how he'd love to manage Chelsea/Spurs one day.

This is the easiest to refute. No manager ever commits to one club for life. Ever. But Gus has been honest about maybe moving on one day and also being here for a long-term project.

2. We play boring football.

Well only if you like crash/bang/wallop and lumping it to a big lad up front. We try and win games by dominating possession and often it's worked. It'll work even better when all our players have the technique and intelligence to employ it. Is it boring watching BHA pass another team to death? Not for me.

3. He's taken us as far as he can?

How can you posibly know this?

4. He won't change the way he plays - other teams find us out.

I'm not sure this is true. Yes he won't abandon the Barcelona/Swansea (take your pick) model of total possession but conviction in what you think is right is good if it's backed up with evidence. Also - he does tweak tactics fairly often. Both to counter opponents and when something isn't working (as with CMS on his own this season).

Apologies for a long post but when you look at it logically I can't see a single logical reason for wanting him gone. Yes it's about opinions but an opinion not based on evidence isn't worth a toss.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
1-he has done more than any other manager i can remember and pledged medium term..
2-we play the way that eventually will help not hinder us when we reach the Premier league.
3-not even close yet.
4-perhaps we can mix things up more,but he has always stated 4-4-2 as his preferred choice so we shall see.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I genuinely don't get why a seemingly small but vocal minority on NSC would be happy for Gus to leave if another club came in for him. Just baffled.

Still "it's all about opinions". So let's try and analyse their reasoning to see if it stands up. As far as I can tell their reasons for waving Gus goodbye would be...

1. He won't commit to Brighton for ever - he's always saying how he'd love to manage Chelsea/Spurs one day.

This is the easiest to refute. No manager ever commits to one club for life. Ever. But Gus has been honest about maybe moving on one day and also being here for a long-term project.

Well only if you like crash/bang/wallop and lumping it to a big lad up front. We try and win games by dominating possession and often it's worked. It'll work even better when all our players have the technique and intelligence to employ it. Is it boring watching BHA pass another team to death? Not for me.

I'm not sure this is true. Yes he won't abandon the Barcelona/Swansea (take your pick) model of total possession but conviction in what you think is right is good if it's backed up with evidence. Also - he does tweak tactics fairly often. Both to counter opponents and when something isn't working (as with CMS on his own this season).

Apologies for a long post but when you look at it logically I can't see a single logical reason for wanting him gone. Yes it's about opinions but an opinion not based on evidence isn't worth a toss.

You have failed to highlight one very important fact - for the quarter of the season we have been dire, and our form would have seen us relegated if we had not had a couple of golden periods at the start of the season and after Christmas. As the old saying says, you are old as good as your last game - well our LAST 13 matches have been dire, and nothing better than relegation form.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Managers should not make it public that they want to leave in the future,that's disrespectful to us as a club.Gus likes playing mind games with our players which baffles many players im sure,you play well and get dropped simples.

I don't dislike gus as he's a good man,he has a big ego and seems to focus way to much on defensive negative football.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON

also our style of play is nothing like barca or swansea,these two are attacking sides and attacking is something we don't do very often,2nd lowest shots at goal is bloody terrible.

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
1-he has done more than any other manager i can remember and pledged medium term..
2-we play the way that eventually will help not hinder us when we reach the Premier league.
3-not even close yet.
4-perhaps we can mix things up more,but he has always stated 4-4-2 as his preferred choice so we shall see.
Every manger we,ve had in the last 25 years has had f all money and crap facilities,so at the moment Micky adams done the greatest so far.Least gus has had millions to spend and a great stadium.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
A lot of mangers would have been sacked for the Luis Suarez comments...I really hope these comments do not harm our chances of signing certain players. I was also a bit bemused to hear that Bridcutt's nickname is "snowball"......funny to some i'm sure. But others take a bit dimmer view of these things these days.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Same as practically other team in the division we're in then.

Finishing 10th in our first season in the Championship with the budget Gus has had is one hell of an accomplishment
We escaped relegation from the championship with the team that mickey Adams build,I would say spending 5 million or so and having numerous players on loan is a pretty good budget.You can't compare on budgets in that way as Watford finished 2 points behind us and their budget is far far smaller.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
I think there's a spectrum of opinion, broadly in 3 groups and with some between 2 of these

1 - Those who want him gone ( smallest group in my opinion )
2 - Those who want him to stay, but think the club still will move onwards and upwards regardless.
3 - Those that think it'll be some degree of a disaster if he goes.

I love Gus as a manager, but I'm firmly in group 2.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
We escaped relegation from the championship with the team that mickey Adams build,I would say spending 5 million or so and having numerous players on loan is a pretty good budget.You can't compare on budgets in that way as Watford finished 2 points behind us and their budget is far far smaller.

Exactly, too much emphasis is put on money with Gus. He expects us to be like Chelsea and be able to buy success. It won't happen, he needs to do him job and have us punching above our weight, like his predecessors have over the last two decades.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Exactly, too much emphasis is put on money with Gus. He expects us to be like Chelsea and be able to buy success. It won't happen, he needs to do him job and have us punching above our weight, like his predecessors have over the last two decades.

You're making this up as you go along in order to justify your fantasy-based claims.

He has made no such claim about us being like Chelsea.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You have failed to highlight one very important fact - for the quarter of the season we have been dire, and our form would have seen us relegated if we had not had a couple of golden periods at the start of the season and after Christmas. As the old saying says, you are old as good as your last game - well our LAST 13 matches have been dire, and nothing better than relegation form.

So you acknowledge that we have had good and bad patches this season?

Oh sorry, no you don't - you only want to focus on the bad...

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
This low budget stuff is rubbish as players like harper,assulin,razak,reyes,mattock,vokes etc are pretty big earners i would say,that's a fair wad on top of the 5 million or so spent and the numerous other players.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This low budget stuff is rubbish as players like harper,assulin,razak,reyes,mattock,vokes etc are pretty big earners i would say,that's a fair wad on top of the 5 million or so spent and the numerous other players.

Yeah and we're paying 100% of their wages. Oh wait. We weren't.

Come ON people!! And those players would have still been within our budget. Which is still lower than 13 other teams. For Christ's sake, Doncaster had Chimbonda and Diouf that tell me that their budget isn't small.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

So you acknowledge you're guessing.

And the central point about budgets is not what he's got, or even what he's got in comparison with previous Brighton managers - it's what he's got in comparison with other clubs in the division. And we're not in the top half of the table for that.

People moan about this point constantly being made, but until such time as the penny finally drops that it is a highly pertinent point on where we stand in the great scheme of things, unfortunately it will be repeated.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So you acknowledge that we have had good and bad patches this season?

Oh sorry, no you don't - you only want to focus on the bad...

I do. That is what makes are recent abysmal form even harder to take, and the credibility of Poyet's Budget comments less tenable. The players are clearly capable of doing better, so enough money must have been provided, but the Manager failed to get the best out of them. Additionally, to deteriorate to the level we have over the last 13 matches is simply unacceptable, and shows a real ineptitude in the manager. If we start next season the way we ended this, will you be quick to come to his support?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here