Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Do Our Defenders Just Point At Attackers Instead of MARKING Them?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Something I have noticed loads int he last 3 games, but Yeovil I didnt mind so much as we were winning, but it really gets my goat

All the time, our defenders just point at players, sometimes two or three players pointing at an attacker with the look of "you mark him, he's not my man"

We then end up with loads of unmarked players on corners, set pieces and opposition attacks. All our players pointing, then when the attacker has had a shot, or scored, we get all our players moaning at each other because he was unmarked.

FFS just mark him and make it difficult for them to score :mad: BASIC defending

Oh and if a player is running at our goal from 40/50 yards out, dont f***ing back off, put a challenge in, we conceed so many goals, disgraceful, thats why we are shit, hemoraging goals, at the bottom of the table and not going to stay up

SORT IT OUT LADS, otherwise you are division FOUR footballers, and going to get a massive paycut

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
Something I have noticed loads int he last 3 games, but Yeovil I didnt mind so much as we were winning, but it really gets my goat

All the time, our defenders just point at players, sometimes two or three players pointing at an attacker with the look of "you mark him, he's not my man"

We then end up with loads of unmarked players on corners, set pieces and opposition attacks. All our players pointing, then when the attacker has had a shot, or scored, we get all our players moaning at each other because he was unmarked.

Oh and if a player is running at our goal from 40/50 yards out, dont f***ing back off, put a challenge in, we conceed so many goals, disgraceful, thats why we are shit, hemoraging goals, at the bottom of the table and not going to stay up

SORT IT OUT LADS, otherwise you are division FOUR footballers, and going to get a massive paycut

This is what you get when every week we change the CB'S One week its elph and heath then elabd elph Ect

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks for that.

It comes as a pertinent reminder that I may have to review my current practice of taking my boys team mates to Withdean with him on a sort of rotational basis. I think they may be picking up bad habits and no amount of coaching from me and the manager seems to be unlearning the little blighters !

Our kids, apart from being masters of the art of backing off, have learnt a clever ( well they think it is anyway ) trick of tracking back with an attacker who has the ball at his feet without ever attempting to get a challenge in. They think that jogging back in the shadow, or even side by side with, an opposition player running at us with the ball , is enough to make them look like they're making an effort. Sadly, nowadays you're not allowed to beat such misconceptions out of 'em, and no amount of explaining in gentle tones seems to work :rolleyes:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Lack of leadership, pure and simple.

It's been a big problem all season, there's no Oatway or Butters to tell people what to do, and then bollock them if they don't do it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting point. I have also noticed that our players often shout 'man on' even when their isnt any real threat of another player. My theory is that they see other players do it on MOTD so they sort of feel shouting it a few times in a game is the done thing..and makes them proper players. I have no real evidence this is the case, this idea came to me down the pub but in the absence of any other evidence....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He is also our biggest culprit when it comes to 'backing off' as a defender runs at him.

So he points and doesnt mark, backs off when he should be tight. Remind me again why this person is in our team.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked

It's been a big problem all season, there's no Oatway or Butters to tell people what to do, and then bollock them if they don't do it.

Agreed, it is not too inspirational when your captain is playing upfront or el abd or Virgo

Mcnulty will make a great skipper. Watching behind from the goal at walsall and scunthorpe, you can see all the pointing and non marking, and all the free attackers, makes it easy to predict when we will conceed a goal. Happened for the last two Walsall goals and the first scunthorpe goal

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
surely if you have an attacker running at you with not much help, just hit him hard, the worst you can do is give away a free kick,

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
surely if you have an attacker running at you with not much help, just hit him hard, the worst you can do is give away a free kick,

Cant get away with that anymore , apart from conceding a free kick/penalty , a yellow or red card will be shown by the ref.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Because it's been 10 months since anyone tried to properly coach and organise them?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
There was finger pointing yesterday which could have been averted if Virgo had come to the aid of his colleagues instead of not tracking back.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008

Basically El-Abd :lolol:

As much as I love him, he's shit.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

But as I recall Oatway's marking was always very poor.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Something I've noticed when I've seen brighton play is one of our players will have the ball, a team mate will make to look as if he i going to run to a certain place, then as the player with the ball kicks it they stop, so the ball goes to no one.

The person who dummied a run then blames the person who passed where he anticipated him to be.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Something I've noticed when I've seen brighton play is one of our players will have the ball, a team mate will make to look as if he i going to run to a certain place, then as the player with the ball kicks it they stop, so the ball goes to no one.

The person who dummied a run then blames the person who passed where he anticipated him to be.

I know we're shit but I have never seen our players do that. It is schoolboy.

How often do you go to games?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here