Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do British cars have the steering wheel on the right ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't we have this debate before?

I seem to recall asking what happened when two countries that drive on opposite sides of the road shared a land border.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm sure I read something quite a while ago that claimed there were fewer RTA's in countries that drive on the right.

Tenuous,...

i'll say. why does the hand jerk necessarily be clockwise rather than anti-clockwise and why would the left hand suddenly have no input to the steering wheel? be interesting to know the source and if theres is a difference.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I seem to recall asking what happened when two countries that drive on opposite sides of the road shared a land border.

Like England and France since the channel tunnel or even the cross channel ferries started taking motor vehicles.

I think we know what happens :( quite often.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Having witnessed this first-hand on a bridge between Thailand (left) and Burma (right), I'd the say the results can best be described as "entertaining".

But back to the left/right debate, most countries in Southern Europe, Central and South America, Africa and Asia don't drive on the left or right - they weave randomly all over the place, spending most of their time in the middle unless something bigger comes the other way, sometimes detouring along the verge, and once (a bus in Malaysia) via a small thicket of mercifully spindly trees about ten metres off to one side of the road before the driver woke up and regained control...

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It dates back to the days when a man would right on the left hand side of a path or track so tht he could draw his sword (with his right hand, being left handed was a sin in those days) and defend himself from an oncoming attacker. In the US they drive on the left since the days of the wagon trains allegedly. The wagons were pulled by oxen and they were easier to control if the were walked on the right hand side of a track or path (thanks to the make up of their brains).

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
In 1962 I went from Norway (driving on the right) to Sweden (driving on the left), there seemed to be no problem. At that time Sweden drove on the left with the steering wheel also on the left, I suppose they were preparing to change over to drive on the right which they now do.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Made for an interesting start to our race on Saturday when Zef lined up in his Sunbeam (right hand drive) next to a Ferrari 250 Berlinetta (left hand drive) with the usual Le Mans style start... luckily Zef was quicker...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm sure I read something quite a while ago that claimed there were fewer RTA's in countries that drive on the right.

Tenuous, but stick with me here. The report went something along the lines of, there are more right handed than left handed drivers in the world, and when another car, or a bike or anything is heading towards your car, your predominant hand will jerk your sterering wheel that way. Driving on the left like we do, that would take your car in towards on coming traffic, but driving on the right, it would take you away from on coming traffic. I guess mowing down a few pedestrians doesn't count.

I think the more likely explanation is the fact that Indians drive on the left and probably account for about 50% of RTAs

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Sensibal countries drive on the left, you mount horses world wide to this day from the left. Your sword is worn on the left, so you can't get on your horse from the right.

I'm sure you're right, but if you wear your sword on the left, doesn't it make it more difficult to get into a right hand drive car? (If you're the driver, that is.)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sensibal countries drive on the left, you mount horses world wide to this day from the left. Your sword is worn on the left, so you can't get on your horse from the right.
Blame driving on the right on Napoleon, being a typical Frog. Also Americans have no depth perception, teams of bullocks and horses are driven from the rear left hand mount, swords again, so to avoid bumping into carts coming the other way they passed left to left.
That's certainly the explanation I was given as a child. People automatically walked/rode on the left so that your right hand was free to draw your sword. Apparently it started in towns (so that your sword hand wasn't stuck against the wall of an alley or narrow street if you were jumped) and the convention carried on to open roads.

I was also told that it was after the French Revolution that travelling on the right was introduced as they wanted a complete break with the past.

Finally I was told that the origin of shaking hands was that you stuck out your right hand (your sword arm) in greeting to prove that you weren't suddenly going to draw your sword.

These are all 'facts' I've known since I was about 10. Like most 'facts' that you sort of absorb by osmosis they're probably wrong and are no more than folk tales!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here