Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why do bournemouth hate us?

Albion Rob

Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Well for a good few years in the mid/late 90s, Orient were our MAIN rival, strange as that might now sound!

They had a real hoodoo (sp?) over us both home and away and think I'm right in saying we didn't beat them for about 8/10 games in a row, ended by the glorious 2-0 (Brooker & Zamora) victory at Brisbane Rd in 2000/2001 season

They were the team I disliked most during the 90s, especially after the 4-4 epic at the Goldstone Ground, which afterwards, Barry Hearn wanted us docked many points for the pitch invasion by the three numpties

Don't want to sound picky, but I yjink we beat them in the second game of the 99/2000 season the week after stuffing Mansfield.

I could be wrong though.

As for Bournemouth, I suppose they probably rival Brighton as a city with being a tourist destination and that. Plus a lot of the things mentioned above.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
all above true,but end of day its south coast rivalry,they in fact were very good at their place and should have pissed us 5 or 6 nil,they def one of the better footballing sides in the division.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Uncle Buck said:
Also I think the game on Meridan in 1995 did not help. They did not like the fact that the Albion took one of the side stands during the game.
i was there funny as fcuk just before half time if i remember correctly ! :lolol: :lolol:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
wehatepalace said:
i was there funny as fcuk just before half time if i remember correctly ! :lolol: :lolol:

I think it happened in the second half.

The other dodgy one was an FA Cup first round game in 1993. It was raining and we lost 4-2. I think when we went 3-1 down Brighton went over the fences and attempted to get at that side stand again. Just remember having to watch the rest of the day in the rain, with a fence in the way and in front of the fence the OB armed with dogs.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
For the league game I gatecrashed the family stand. One advantage of having your lady with you.

If my memory serves me right we sat for three away games that season Plymouth, Bournemouth and Orient and won all three 3-0. Mind you I am getting on a bit now and my memory is not what it was.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
m20gull said:
For the league game I gatecrashed the family stand. One advantage of having your lady with you.

If my memory serves me right we sat for three away games that season Plymouth, Bournemouth and Orient and won all three 3-0. Mind you I am getting on a bit now and my memory is not what it was.

That Plymouth game it did not stop raining either. Codner from the half way line and there was about 100 of us on the terrace that day.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
m20gull said:
That would explain why we were in the seats then.

I think that might have been the game where they held us on the terrace for about 30 minutes after the game as the locals had a habit of waiting behind the trees outside the stand. They then marched us through the mainstand and into the car park. Great plan, except the Fatty Taxman disspeared to the bogs at the side of the terrace for about his 9th dump of the day, to come out to see the gate between the terrace and the bogs bolted and the rest of us being marched out the ground.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Suppose they see us as similar size club, similar finances, ground situation so want to get one up on us, or have they now actually got their own stadium?

Stretches back to the early 70s.... That's why some of us weren't too keen on the red and black away kit ! (Though I have some affinity for Lewes and Saltdean !)

We were both near the top of division 3 and they had Phil Boyer and Ted McDougall with John Bond as their manager (who was a bit flash and was touting Bournemouth as the 'Super Team' of the 70s / 80s)
I remember being chased all the way back from the stadium to the railway station (in the days of football specials) whereupon the locals gave us a cheery wave off by pelting us with flints and milk bottles from the pathways above the station.

and before them it was Luton......

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Bournemouth? Mmmmm........... Are they in the league? I feel more rivalry between my thumb & my big toe.

Perhaps they're getting confused between Brighton & Bognor ???

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
sexual frustration.

They spend all their time with sheep and other rural animals so when they see some nice boys from along the coast they don't know how to cope.

It's a cross we have to bear!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Didn't get any sticks on Fans United. Walking round in Albion shirt and no stick at all.

shorty

Jan 8, 2004
I remember that game in 95.

We started behind the goal and loads of Albion fans finished the game in the fare corner having made their way along the stand top the right of us.

Highly amusing, but dreadful bahaviour of our hooligan fans which will no doubt have a bearing on us getting Falmer

Yeah good comment mate!! I can see it now - Sorry we cannot give Brighton their stadium due to people running on the pitch in Bournemouth in 1995!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here