Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did we not sign an Attacking Threat?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
What would be in it for those Premiership youngsters to come here?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Harty said:
Re Asaba I've had it confirmed from inside the Albion that he wanted to sign but money was the stumbling block, so just why Dick didn't appeal directly to the fans to dig deep. I'd have stumped up some money as I'm sure many others would as well.
Maybe there wasn't time? And anyway I remember when th A+K fund was started people whinging about the club asking for money...
Robert Lester Zamora said:
If he wanted to sign that much, why didn't he take the drop in wages for just SIX WEEKS, in order to prove what he had and earn a longer deal on better wages - either with us or someone else ?
Agreed.

Race said:
thats funny because thats not what Sarbs told Tank on Wednesday night! :nono:
Spill the beans ???

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Bwian said:
Unlike people who ask such stupid questions...

I'm going to be blunt-WE HAVE NO f***ing MONEY!!!! With that in mind and bearing in mind that of our 4 goalkeepers 2 are long term injured and the other 2 are not particularly suitable for a relegation battle-signing a goalkeeper seems sensible. Also, we have just lost a key player in Hinshlewood-where does he play? So to replace him let's sign a forward :shootself

Please try and understand that until the Falmer issue has been settled we are always going to struggle to attract the number of players we need to be consistently competitive in this division.
totally agree on all points ,

still a bit gutted but i can totally understand it

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Sarbs was never going to sign so money was never a factor, he'd already agreed terms with another club at the end of the season a while ago.

Brighton Boy said:
To play football get good reports back to their managers

...and what if those managers didn't want them to come here? Plausible scenario I feel.

Harty said:
Re Asaba I've had it confirmed from inside the Albion that he wanted to sign but money was the stumbling block, so just why Dick didn't appeal directly to the fans to dig deep. I'd have stumped up some money as I'm sure many others would as well.

Even if the player was available, there is a number of big problems with that approach.

1) The great fans of this club have given constantly over the past year (and way beyond that). For the directors to go back to them again could produce a big backlash. I wonder how well such an idea would really go down, say, with the majority of callers to the phone-in, those that constantly go on about black holes and begging bowls. My guess is that they would just use it as another stick to beat Dick Knight with.

2) How sensible would it be to drive such a horse and coaches through the sensible wages structure we have at the Albion? How conducive would it be to team morale if we got a player in who was paid far more than the other players, would not really be ordinarly worth that money but is just getting paid it because we're threatened with relegation?

3) Paying wages to a player we can't afford within our current budget I think ignores the lessons of the last 20 years. Best explained by the Micawber principle from David Copperfield: "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen six, result: happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result: misery."

Often it's just that first little bit of financial over-reaching that sets you on the slippery slope to financial disaster. It's not a risk worth taking before our income streams can be developed with a new stadium.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Brighton Boy said:
Personally think we could of got a youngster in from a prem club for on loan and on very cheap wages.....

i.e quincy owusu obeyie. mark yeates,bradley wright phillips,

no i know b.w.phillips maybe a little unrealistic but quincy was a very realistic chance.

And at least yeates would have been sumthin

And why use wages on a defender when you could play virgo there who is probably better than dolan and then use the wages on a foward

Quincy Owusu was McGhee's target but Arsenal would not release him (in the Argus)

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Get Jake back from Aldershot and stick him on the bench...

We tried to get in other forwards and failed, so surely this would be a logical move?...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
PS. I find it incredibly irritating that I find myself agreeing with London Irish's posts!...

We already have 4 forwards at the club, all are better currently than Jake, maybe with the exception of McPhee, toss-up between those two.

It's better for Jake's development that he's left where he is. He's clearly enjoying the challenge and stated on Sky himself that he wanted to be part of the Shot's play-off challenge. He wants to play games than be behind 3 or 4 players here.

If the worse happens and someone like Leon is injured, then we can get Jake back.

There, I'm sure you'll disagree with that, normal service resumed ;)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here