Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why did Albion sell the Goldstone? Argus letters achieve new low...

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
It seems like Rip van Winkle has just woken up in Woodingdean...

Why was the Goldstone ground sold by the club?

At a time when Brighton and Hove Albion's planning application for a football stadium at Falmer is likely to be in the news again, please could someone enlighten me as to why the Seagulls sold their perfectly adequate stadium at the Goldstone ground, which was located in the heart of the city?

How much did the club receive for the ground and how much has it spent on trying to force through the environmentally disastrous application for Falmer?

If it had known how long its plans would take to come to fruition and how expensive the process would be, would it have kept the old ground?

continued...
I appreciate it is easy to look upon matters with hindsight but the expense and the controversy which selling its ground and trying to relocate to an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty have caused makes me wonder whether the club wishes it had remained where it was.

It would be interesting to know the cost of the two planning inspectors' reports and the total cost of the inquiry.

I wonder how much of my council tax has been spent dealing with this outrageous planning application for a stadium close to a beautiful local area.

I strongly object to any of my money being spent in this way and I applaud Lewes District Council and Norman Baker MP for their stand against the proposed stadium.

Please could we have some facts and figures and a reply as to why the club moved and whether it wishes it had not done so.

H Mason, Rosebery Avenue, Woodingdean

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
fffffffffffffffffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
:thud:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
brightonfan_86 said:
What a f***ing idiot.

leave Gulliver alone....he wasnt to know.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
.:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Why does the Brighton Evening Argus even bother printing such drivel (this from today)? It’s 11 years ago now and if you want to know you should buy a history book on the subject – 2 were written after all. Do I write to a local newspaper to ask “What were the origins of WW1”? That’s history after all too. Maybe the Argus should also answer:

“What time is it (because I’ve just woken up)?”

“Where did Lord Lucan go?”

or “Why was the Magna Carta signed (because I have an irrelevant objection to make 1000 years on)?”

And lastly, perhaps the most relevant question of all, “Why is H Mason of Rosebery Avenue, Woodingdean such a twat - Discuss?”

What a plum. A pox on them and all their ilk. Moreover the Goldstone wasn’t sold, it was stolen.
:angry: :censored: :angry:

D

Deleted User X18H

Gilliver's Travels said:
Oh. Just noticed Hove B&B's misleadingly titled thread.

Can I Fixtures myself? or is that against NSC house rules?
Misleading me !!!!!!!!!! never.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Gilliver's Travels said:
Oh. Just noticed Hove B&B's misleadingly titled thread.

Can I Fixtures myself? or is that against NSC house rules?

I nearly didnt open that thread, I thought it was going to be about some charity worker knocking on his door

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
dear mr/mrs H Mason,
have you been living on the planet zog for the last 11 years or are you really jerremy Beadle.

please do not reply if its going to take you another 11years as I WILL PROBABLY BE DEAD.
:wave: :shootself ....................:angel:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has anybody access to old lists of residents as it may be that this writer has only lived in Brighton for short time i.e 3 or 4 years, and if not interested in football, may not have been aware of our problems, and genuinely does not know and cannot understand why The Goldstone was sold.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BensGrandad said:
Has anybody access to old lists of residents as it may be that this writer has only lived in Brighton for short time i.e 3 or 4 years, and if not interested in football, may not have been aware of our problems, and genuinely does not know and cannot understand why The Goldstone was sold.

We must assume that this person genuinely doesn't know for whatever reason as nobody would be so stupid as to write that letter if they did. May have just moved to Brighton from abroad or similar.

The electoral roll will show when they became resident in Brighton, I think.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
BensGrandad said:

But the issue remains: not knowing the facts, whatever the reason for that ignorance, disqualifies you from having an opinion on them.

This is a case of "here we go again", and especially now that the Falmer project has seen a barrier dropped.

Expect more and more letters from (and to) all over the place, making rediculous comments about why Falmer Stadium is not environmentally friendly (why, because it's a building?? Practically nothing mankind creates is 'environmentally friendly' is it?) and will create traffic/pollution/attract problems/kill bats/wankwankwank.

If you ignore for a moment how stupid they appear, you will usually find that they have the opposite effect on their cause anyway. We should all bombard the Arsegas with MORE dullard letters full of more and more stupid reasons why BHAFC should not have a home!

"I have heard that the Falmer site, is actually a SACRED INDIAN BURIAL GROUND, and all of us will be CURSED by the ancient ancestral spirits.

Please Argus, DO something to stop the ghosts from rising like they did in Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' video. The zombies are going to boogie down to Western Road and eat our children"

:rave: :rave: :rave: :rave: :rave: :dance:

See how that works?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here