Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why cant we be positive

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
MacKay beat Poyet hands down on tactics tonight. Far from not being there, Cardiff came for a point and because we are so slow in getting the ball forward, everytime they lost the ball they had plenty of time to reorganize themselves. Greer and El Abd playing keep ball and hardly moving forward is not great football. The first half was dire to watch and the only chances went to CMS (who should have scored) and a deflected shot onto the post! Second half started exactly the same except Cardiff re wrote the script and scored first. Greater sense of getting forward when the subs came and the crowd reacted and we deservedly got the equalizer. Unfortunately, Brez had another poor punch and we were back to square one. Deserved the second equalizer and on balance, neither team deserved to win. However, Mackay goes away with an away point from a team above them and, as with the Millwall match, we miss the chance to get into the important play zone.

I'd agree to a point..each time thy took the lead thy sat back and invited us onto them...I think tht was a misjudgement by there boss..otherwise they were a well drilled team IMHO

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Cardiff were so negative in the first half, can hardly blame them as their form has been so dire lately. Was hard not to get frustrated, all that possession and so few chances.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
To be honest i thought we were all over them in the first half and there goal keeper was very good and kept Cardiff in the game.
and with Cardiff second goal coming so quickly must have hurt the lads big time but hats off to them for digging out a result.

Hmm..if I recall correctly he only made one save of note in fist half and tht was from CMS (should really hav scored) ...the only other shot of note would hav been the one tht hit the post.....in the 2nd half yes he did keep them in the game

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
This reply to any discussion that may be negative is getting very boring. People are talking about a specific subject, you don't need to throw in our league position every time someone isn't cheerleading.

Agreed this has nothing to do with league position

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Aye....I'm still pinching myself over the season we've had to date...and tht we are competing with clubs that r well established in ths division is pleasing ...ye it's disappointing ..but we were playing a team tht may hav indifferent leaguer form of date ...but there up there.. As thy were last season and pushed Liverpool all the way...a draw was the least we deserved..but to com ack twice shows very gd character

Look at this team we played today... play offs last season, Wembley finalists (again), beat them, no tonked them 1-3 at their place, drew 2-2 at ours. They didn't beat us this season. And by all intents and purposes they came to put the bus out. That is a compliment in my books. If we were say Bristol City they'd be going all out for three points. They come to us and park the bus... this League 1 side with a ramshackle stadium last season. The managers do their homework and to be fair I haven't seen a side come here yet to win outright. That's not to say it hasn't happened, I haven't been to all home games. Even the Hammers shut shop at 0-1. That is the respect we have gained in 10 months from clubs with more money and/or parachute payments... and we're competing with them. So I prefer to allow the staff to do their job and I'll support them... good, bad or indifferent. I feel part of the ride, but I am not the driver, I am the bloke on the back seat just pleased to be on the metaphorical coach. I don't believe we have plastics or the (vile word) JCLs... but I do believe some Albion supporters young and old, 50 plus year supporters or 5 minutes in the Amex are expecting way too much this season. If everyone actually just enjoyed it I think this little part of the world would be a happier place. We should stop expecting to be Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal already!

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
Thought Gus got the tactics woefully wrong tonight. For 57 minutes we did very little, passing the ball in front of Cardiff with little penetration. Only when we went one nil down did we play & brought on the subs. Like Millwall at home we have now thrown 4 points away.

Why he took off Asulin & won't play Vokes up front with CMS, is now becoming extremely annoying. Reyes had a poor game too.

110% agreed, we controlled the ball but lacked the penetration required

I have been very impressed with Vokes so far and would like to see more of him and give hom and cms a chance together

And Reyes was very poor tonight

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
MacKay beat Poyet hands down on tactics tonight. Far from not being there, Cardiff came for a point and because we are so slow in getting the ball forward, everytime they lost the ball they had plenty of time to reorganize themselves. Greer and El Abd playing keep ball and hardly moving forward is not great football. The first half was dire to watch and the only chances went to CMS (who should have scored) and a deflected shot onto the post! Second half started exactly the same except Cardiff re wrote the script and scored first. Greater sense of getting forward when the subs came and the crowd reacted and we deservedly got the equalizer. Unfortunately, Brez had another poor punch and we were back to square one. Deserved the second equalizer and on balance, neither team deserved to win. However, Mackay goes away with an away point from a team above them and, as with the Millwall match, we miss the chance to get into the important play zone.

Great post!

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
I have thought about this myself and concluded that it is part of a plan. We often score our goals in the second half. Barnes has netted 9 goals this season, 8 of those have been in the second half.

Interesting Goal Time Stats
Total Goals 42

First Half 13
Second Half 29
Opening 15min 4
40 - 50 4
Last 10mins 12

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have thought about this myself and concluded that it is part of a plan. We often score our goals in the second half. Barnes has netted 9 goals this season, 8 of those have been in the second half.

Interesting Goal Time Stats
Total Goals 42

First Half 13
Second Half 29
Opening 15min 4
40 - 50 4
Last 10mins 12

Ye n them second half goals are up the bloody other end from where I sit lol

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
This reply to any discussion that may be negative is getting very boring. People are talking about a specific subject, you don't need to throw in our league position every time someone isn't cheerleading.

I'm being Boring????? We're in the best position we've been in over 20 years, I point this out and I'm the bad guy. I know it's a disappointing that we didn't win tonight but we're in great shape and doing well.
Why do I have to justify being positive.

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

tube train

Sep 10, 2009
I'm being Boring????? We're in the best position we've been in over 20 years, I point this out and I'm the bad guy. I know it's a disappointing that we didn't win tonight but we're in great shape and doing well.
Why do I have to justify being positive.

You arent the bad guy and we are in a great position but thats not what we are talking about here.

Im the same 20 years in or 23 since first game and loving it

But even in the best teams there is room for improvement and even top managers make errors

Gus will look at tonight and reflect.

Thats not negative...

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
You arent the bad guy and we are in a great position but thats not what we are talking about here.

Im the same 20 years in or 23 since first game and loving it

But even in the best teams there is room for improvement and even top managers make errors

Gus will look at tonight and reflect.

Thats not negative...

Fair play fella, I wasn't at the game tonight so can't really judge how Gus got the tactics right or wrong. Just get frustrated at the sniping at Gus and the team that I appreciate you weren't doing.
I'm probably still stuck in small club doing well mode. Times have changed and criticism relative to our league position is fair play.
We're 7th by the way ;-)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thought Gus got the tactics woefully wrong tonight. For 57 minutes we did very little, passing the ball in front of Cardiff with little penetration. Only when we went one nil down did we play & brought on the subs. Like Millwall at home we have now thrown 4 points away.

Why he took off Asulin & won't play Vokes up front with CMS, is now becoming extremely annoying. Reyes had a poor game too.

Agree

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and IMHO this is total drivel!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This really is turning insane, what do people want, sorry I know that answer instant success just like Pompey.

1. Cardiff are a good team.
2. Earlier in the season we were getting dominated in midfield.
3. Their keeper had a good game.
4. They parked the bus and the midfield was congested.

Can't be arsed with anymore.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
This really is turning insane, what do people want, sorry I know that answer instant success just like Pompey.

1. Cardiff are a good team.
2. Earlier in the season we were getting dominated in midfield.
3. Their keeper had a good game.
4. They parked the bus and the midfield was congested.

Can't be arsed with anymore.

I would of been satisfied with more chances created from the 40 minutes of possession we had in the first half, no early balls to the front again. It's frustrating to see CMS get subbed when he's had no service, fair enough to put on two new wingers and move Barnes more central of course.

Best home game I've seen this season was against Ipswich because of the attacking way we played. Most frustrating home game this season was last night just because we failed to do anything with all that possession or even try to do anything in the first half apart from work on our passing completion stats.

I find it quite funny seeing Gus going mental on the sidelines at failed passes or stunningly terrible free kicks like that one in the last couple of minutes when we are chasing the game, then go on about how the players and fans have to be patient etc. Maybe if we weren't so patient we would never have been in that position in the first place.

Although of course I have to say if I hadn't been at the match to see the whole performance I would of been very pleased, looking at the goals scored times, to get the point. And I am slowly trying to erase the game from my mind and just think about the final result (and our league position!)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here