Why can't these bloody schools open?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Is it lazyness, the nanny state, threat of litigation or what?

All of the above and we need to change it.

People's reliance on the state is breathtaking. On TV this week they showed the 'rescue' of an injured teenager. His parents had driven him to a semi rural location in their 4x4 so he could have fun sledging and snowboarding etc.. When he injured himself they called an ambulance. After struggling to get to him, and the ambulance itself needing to be rescued from the snow, they arrived at the hospital to find he had no serious injuries and then went home. What the f**k is wrong with his parents putting into the 4x4 and driving him to the hospital themselves?

Wankers!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
It is due to over the top health and safety and BLAME culture. Schools and colleges know that if just one student falls over or an accident occurs then they will be in the shit. Personally I would like to be in work and judging by the amount of concerned emails I have received from students this morning, so would they!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think the real answer is this:

Britain is a northern hemisphere country. It is a FACT that generally at some point of the year we will get snow. Ok some years we dont, and some years its a bit more than usual.

But we DO generally get snow more often than not in winter.

But this country refuses (if thats the right word) to prepare adequately for it time and time again so we are always in the shit when it happens. Every time it ANNOYS me when it comes as a SURPRISE.

Its NOTHING new. We have had snow for YEARS.

But why is the UK so unprepared when other countries seem to cope? Are there still grit boxes on roads - is there any grit in them? Can people not get off their arses any more and put it on the roads themselves or is that breaking 25 health and safety laws?

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Im 22 and never had a 'snow day' One year at primary school the temperature was in the minus' and the school closed because the heating broke the next day it still wasn't fixed so we just wore our coats. One other enforced closure was when there was severe flooding in mid sussex 8-9 years ago, the village my school was in flooded and cut all access off but even then it was only for 1 day!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
But why is the UK so unprepared when other countries seem to cope? Are there still grit boxes on roads - is there any grit in them? Can people not get off their arses any more and put it on the roads themselves or is that breaking 25 health and safety laws?

This is exactly it. Probably I would say its all due to a lack of funding. That and as others have said the health and safety and blame culture that BLIGHTS our society.

When I was a kid there was a grit box at the bottom of my parents road, im not even sure its there now.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It is due to over the top health and safety and BLAME culture. Schools and colleges know that if just one student falls over or an accident occurs then they will be in the shit. Personally I would like to be in work and judging by the amount of concerned emails I have received from students this morning, so would they!

What gets me is that if we had a go at clearing the snow and/or ice from the path or the pavement, and someone had an accident - we'd be liable. That, for me, is an APPALLING situation. Talk about screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

Naturally, you don't want people to have an accident, but whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? How can that ever work if the concept of collective, civic or social responsibility (e.g. clearing the snow from outside your house) is in danger of making everything self-defeating?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What gets me is that if we had a go at clearing the snow and/or ice from the path or the pavement, and someone had an accident - we'd be liable. That, for me, is an APPALLING situation. Talk about screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

Naturally, you don't want people to have an accident, but whatever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? How can that ever work if the concept of collective, civic or social responsibility (e.g. clearing the snow from outside your house) is in danger of making everything self-defeating?

Agreed, as someone else has mentioned the adverts that fill our screens during daytime TV do not help.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Do kids not do anything dangerous at school anymore? What happens if a practical science lesson goes wrong and someone gets hurt? What happens if a child is injured playing sport?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Do kids not do anything dangerous at school anymore? What happens if a practical science lesson goes wrong and someone gets hurt? What happens if a child is injured playing sport?

I know, sad really that we are so wrapped in cotton wool. You will probably have 'virtual' PE lessons in future just in case a student hurts themselves on the beams.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What gets me is that if we had a go at clearing the snow and/or ice from the path or the pavement, and someone had an accident - we'd be liable. That, for me, is an APPALLING situation.

This little nugget comes from the Elf n Safety Officer of a very local council (personal friend). If you clear the pavement outside your home of snow and ice you CANNOT BE SUED by anyone unless you inform them that the pavement is safe to use, be that verbal or wriiten information. If they choose to use that path without encouragement from you then that is their choice and their responsibility.

It is the lawyers who have created this urban myth and we should shoot all of them.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
This little nugget comes from the Elf n Safety Officer of a very local council (personal friend). If you clear the pavement outside your home of snow and ice you CANNOT BE SUED by anyone unless you inform them that the pavement is safe to use, be that verbal or wriiten information. If they choose to use that path without encouragement from you then that is their choice and their responsibility.

It is the lawyers who have created this urban myth and we should shoot all of them.

Indeed. Brighton Council even state that on their website. So the fat lazy bastards looking to that for an excuse, have none. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here