Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why can't these bloody schools open?

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

D

Deleted User X18H

Treacherous roads bollocks. When I was at school in the mid 80's we used to W-A-L-K into school at one point all the way down Hangleton Way.

If the kids are off a majority of the parents are off too. 3 days of lost schooling due to the weather makes us the laughing stock of Europe.

These schools need to be made to open up on Monday whatever the weather.

I believe contingency plans are being drawn up for Saturday opening for GCSE students.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Because their teachers can't get there, I know because my niece is just one.

Oct 25, 2003
i find it strange that schools are announcing that they're closing the day before

they probably could've gone in today, for example, but they decided YESTERDAY MORNING, that they weren't gonna

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Big fight in our house this morning, as one had to go in [primary], and the other didn't [secondary]. Youngest NOT impressed.

Its a tough call Tim. Essentially, I agree with you, that if they CAN open they should try to. The headteacher e-mailed all the parents last night to say they were opening today, as they are able to make the school premises safe, but that parents were entitled to decide for themselves whether they felt it was safe to get there.

She has also said that the kids can be dropped in any time between 9 and 10am [to save too many cars arriving at once], and they can be collect half an hour early, from 3pm.

I think she has it spot on, tbh, and more power to her.

Note this is a Catholic Primary, rather than a general local primary, so some of the kids are travelling 5 or 6 miles, rather than all being able to walk in.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I would like to have gone into college today, but it was closed, I could've easily got there, like Wednesday and Thursday, just a bit dangerous, that's all.

I still have to go into work later, like I did yesterday.

D

Deleted User X18H

Big fight in our house this morning, as one had to go in [primary], and the other didn't [secondary]. Youngest NOT impressed.

Its a tough call Tim. Essentially, I agree with you, that if they CAN open they should try to. The headteacher e-mailed all the parents last night to say they were opening today, as they are able to make the school premises safe, but that parents were entitled to decide for themselves whether they felt it was safe to get there.

She has also said that the kids can be dropped in any time between 9 and 10am [to save too many cars arriving at once], and they can be collect half an hour early, from 3pm.

I think she has it spot on, tbh, and more power to her.

Note this is a Catholic Primary, rather than a general local primary, so some of the kids are travelling 5 or 6 miles, rather than all being able to walk in.

Well young man I am sure you struggled to Lower via the Grenadier in 1987. Which was much worse than this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm 38 and know for a FACT that I did not miss ONE day of school through snow / ice. We used to listen eagerly to the list on the radio, but they NEVER said 'Hove Park'. Never.

However, as a young lad growing up in Dubai, we used to miss a week every year, when the MONSOON washed away the raised road to the school!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I dont think I ever missed a days schooling because of the weather. We just walked to school instead of cycling.

When the school heating went wrong we put our coats on in the classroom.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well young man I am sure you struggled to Lower via the Grenadier in 1987. Which was much worse than this.

[small edit - i'd have been at the Upper School by 87...]

Obviously I did, yes, and my lad has been walked in this morning. My point is that this headteacher has the right balance - if she can make her premises safe then she opens, but leaves the decision on whether getting there is safe to the parents.

For us the 30 minute walk is acheivable. For others, some of whom are much further away, it may not be.

Clearly there are some who COULD get their kids in, but will simply not be bothered. Up to them - its their child who'll suffer ultimately.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its because we are a NAMBY PAMBY society now.

I blame all these METROSEXUALS.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Head teachers are in a no-win position, but many take the view that it's better to announce a closure if they can see that weather will be bad the next day, rather than make a last-minute call on the morning itself, causing more disruption for families.

Our local primary needs teachers to come on from various far-flung parts of Sussex and if they can't get in, or can't get back, the problems for the kids who've trudged through the snow and ice to be at school are significant.

You also have to think about staff/pupil ratios, insurance issues etc.

On balance ... close the school if there's any doubt, and let the kids enjoy the snow. Believe me, they are not suffering in any way. And as a parent neither am I, despite the disruption to my working week.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Just asked this on another thread as well, so am hedging my bets now!!

Schools did not close for snow 20 years ago, so why now?

Why do footie pitches have undersoil heating if the match is going to be called off for the safety of those travelling to the game? Can footie fans not make up their own minds whether they want to travel or not?

The UK is fast becoming a laughing stock overseas and Sky's 24 hour coverage of 6 inch snow drifts is making it worse. Do schools in Canada close because of snow?

Is it lazyness, the nanny state, threat of litigation or what?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The roads and trains were far busier this morning despite there being no great change in the conditions. I can only guess that people were being 'encouraged' by their employers to get off their arses, and about time to.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The missus has had her school open throughout, and about half to two-thirds of the kids turn up. Admittedly it's not exactly an arduous trek from home to work for her, but the kids don't seem to worry one inch about the whole palaver.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think the real answer is this:

Britain is a northern hemisphere country. It is a FACT that generally at some point of the year we will get snow. Ok some years we dont, and some years its a bit more than usual.

But we DO generally get snow more often than not in winter.

But this country refuses (if thats the right word) to prepare adequately for it time and time again so we are always in the shit when it happens. Every time it ANNOYS me when it comes as a SURPRISE.

Its NOTHING new. We have had snow for YEARS.

There are three key reasons that schools are more likely to close now;

1) Teachers live further away. The (relative) affordability of buying and running a car is low, so teachers are able to live further away from their school (my missus loves living 25 miles away from her school, as it means she will hardly ever see the kids on a night out).
2) The gradual erosion of cachement areas for schools. Now that parents/students have a choice of schools not based so heavily on where you live, students have further to travel.
3) Health & Safety and the blame culture. If schools open they have a duty of care towards their kids; they have to ensure their safety at all times while on the premises. That applies especially when you see all these silly 'had an accident at work?' adverts - parents are much more likely to persue legal action than previously.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here