Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why can't Kuipers save pens?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
First goal aside (which was Virgo's fault) I thought Kuipers did very little wrong. Great save late in the game. And as for the penalties, our takers only gave him a chance to save four, which were all very well taken.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Isn't hindsight wonderful? Sully has been poor for the last two games.

Sully wouldn't have come steaming out of his goal in the 1st minute though! He hasn't been poor enough to drop, it's the defence in front of him that's the problem.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I said last night,unless they miss the goal we are out.Kuipers reminds me of shilton for England at the end of his career.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
First goal aside (which was Virgo's fault) I thought Kuipers did very little wrong. Great save late in the game. And as for the penalties, our takers only gave him a chance to save four, which were all very well taken.

Did you not see the simple pass back where he had plenty of time, and ended up being off balance, leaning back and almost secured a perfect pass to the striker ?

Every time the ball was passed back to him i pucking fanicked.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Did you not see the simple pass back where he had plenty of time, and ended up being off balance, leaning back and almost secured a perfect pass to the striker ?

But, how many times did you see the defence pass a bobbling ball without enough pace on it back to a keeper that wasn't kicking well with an attacker closing him down at a rate of knots?... FAR TOO MANY!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
very risky to play him when he has had little to no match practice since the end of november. he was bound to be rusty, and that was shown in the first minute with the complete lack of communication between him and virgo allowing us to conced yet ANOTHER comedy goal

dont think you can write him off just after that though - once he gets some match practice under his belt hopefully he will be back to being a good enough keeper at this level

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

Fair point, but him being a shite kicker is hardly a new and earth-shattering revelation is it?

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
It's interesting to note that in any penalty shoot-out at least one shot is thumped straight down the middle. There was one last night. I don't suppose any goalkeeping coach would advocate it but isn't there a case for a keeper standing his ground.

Having said that FDM rarely looks like he's going to save a pen. As for their goal I think that Virgo was more at fault. He just arrived out of nowhere...Kuypers might not have even seen him coming until too late to call for the ball.

Livermore's challenge was totally unnnecessary - he was never going to get there first and although it hardly merited a sending off, in today's climate and given who the ref was he took a rash gamble and paid the price.

1066gull

I was told by a lot of people on here when we had Hendo, Kuipers was the better shot stopper and amazing at penos. How f***ing wrong are you all!

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
What i dont understand is why Adams didnt put sullivan on for Kuipers 10 secs before the final whistle went? Well ideally, what gave Micky the idea to let a goalkeeper who hasnt played for yonks just WALK back into the team. Micky mate, your just a first class, typical, IDIOT!:tosser:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I think he's probably confident enough to think "I'm going to watch these pens, see where the ball's going, then go and and save them". By which time it's already sailed past his left earhole and into the net.

The best penalty savers watch things like the run-up and where they're looking - or study in advance where they're likely to put them, as Jens Lehmann did so brilliantly against Argentina in 2006. But by the time the ball's been kicked it's already far too late.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
With all due respect to the great man, Kuipers never gives me the impression he reads or understands the game all that well. A great shot stopper and our best keeper in my lifetime but not really got a great football brain, hence why he's not great with penalties.

Albion Rob

Surely the way to save penalties is with good reactions?

The way I was taught (by someone infinitely better than me) was to look at the non kicking foot. If the non kicking foot is pointing to the left then the ball will go to the left and if it is pointing to the right the ball will go to the right. It's not failsafe but try pretending to stroke a penalty into the bottom left or right corner of an imaginary goal and you'll see.

And based on that, Kuipers should be diving whichever way he thinks he sees the foot going, there's not much time to do it but then again he is amazing at reaction saves....

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
What i dont understand is why Adams didnt put sullivan on for Kuipers 10 secs before the final whistle went? Well ideally, what gave Micky the idea to let a goalkeeper who hasnt played for yonks just WALK back into the team. Micky mate, your just a first class, typical, IDIOT!:tosser:

Spot on. Thought exactly the same as game going to penalties. Probably did'nt enter Micky Adams head to substitute Sullivan for Kuipers, but that was the only way we were going to win on pens.:shrug:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
i think,sadly,we might have seen kuipers last game.

On todays overall performance one would be inclined to say I hope so.

Ridiculous. Kuipers is a great keeper, and saved so many points for us in the second half of last season. He hasn't played since November so of course he's not going to be as good. I can't believe people are so heavily judging him after not only one performence but one performence after being out for nearly 3 months. People wouldn't dare criticise Sullivan the way Kuipers has been in this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here