Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

why are we spending money on a court case for this bloke

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Prosecution lawyer Karim Khalil told the court 21 admissions made by Mr Huntley would be dealt with "in due course".

The jury had previously heard only that Mr Huntley was "unlikely to deny" that the girls had died in his house while he was alone with them or that he had disposed of their bodies.

In other evidence, botany witness Patricia Wiltshire said that during her examination of the red Ford Fiesta, samples from underneath the car matched soil samples from the place where the bodies were found.

Ms Wiltshire said she and colleague Mr Peter Murphy had inspected a 100m area around the site, near Lakenheath

This is just unbelievable. What is his defence?????

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It does seem very strange. I'm glad I don't understand how that mans mind works.

I don't know how anyone could look more guilty (except maybe Harold Shipman).

It's waste of money, but we have to have a trial if the defendant pleads "Not Guilty". Justice has to be seen to be done.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tragically it's his 'legal right'.

Guilty as sin, yep, big needle for this bastard.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
small needle full of sulphuric acid applied to his testicles me thinks!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I am guessing, but presumably if he's been charged with 'murder' his defence is that he didn't kill the girls himself, or perhaps didn't do it deliberately i.e. an accident and he panicked. If the latter was the case, then I think he would be guilty only of 'manslaughter'.

It's up to them to PROVE he actually did it, which isn't easy.

So you don't misunderstand, I'm not sticking up for him... just saying what they're up against. Like Duncan says, justice has to be seen to be done.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have been waiting with interest to hear the case for the defence on this - I just cannot see WHAT they can come up with to say he didn't murder them. I gather the post mortem indicated that the girls *may* have died of asphixiation.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I am friendly with several criminal defence lawyers. We have been scratching our heads trying to see what his line of defence will be. my mate reckons that in certain circumstances, the prosecution will not accept a guilty verdict to murder ie there has to be a show trial to satisfy the collective desire for retribution. i suspect they have offered a plea to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility which has been rejected. For the life of me given the number of admissions I can not see anyway a jury will not convict him of murder. He will have to give evidence and I can not see him being believed given that he was at large for a number of weeks after they had died. The whole circumstances of this case are very odd. It certainly does not appear to me to be a case of premeditated murder, rather some opportunistic crime. As for the girlfriend I actually feel quite sorry for her. She's been put in a pretty invidious position by him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hard to say that 'justice must be done' when this nonce will still be able to walk around in one guise or another unlike his victims.

bhaexpress said:
Hard to say that 'justice must be done' when this nonce will still be able to walk around in one guise or another unlike his victims.

Well, that wasn't quite my point, I suppose, but I get your point. We all have different views of what 'justice' is; but what I was saying was that the justice system we currently have must operate fully (and not just be seen to operate fully) - this necessarily means that a full defence should be offered _if the defence want it, that is!).

Jambo, I can't make sense of his defence. Interesting to hear that your criminal lawyer mates can't, either!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
fatbadger said:
Well, that wasn't quite my point, I suppose, but I get your point. We all have different views of what 'justice' is; but what I was saying was that the justice system we currently have must operate fully (and not just be seen to operate fully) - this necessarily means that a full defence should be offered _if the defence want it, that is!).

Jambo, I can't make sense of his defence. Interesting to hear that your criminal lawyer mates can't, either!

Sorry, not meant as a dig more an ironic comment, no offense intended.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Must admit I'm waiting for the full story of what actually happened in his house on that day. The other thing that'll affect his sentance is was it premeditated or was it a spur of the moment thing. By the looks of things her crime was to cover up for him.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
fatbadger said:
No, no, no.

Justice does not have to be seen to be done. Justice has to be done.

Hmmm... but if we don't SEE justice being done i.e. through a prosecution proving their case, then how do we know it's justice being done.

I don't understand the distinction you are trying to draw. Perhaps you are just being a pedant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So if he didn't murder them, why did he dispose of the bodies in that ditch, and then feel the need to return to them THREE DAYS LATER to remove and subsequently attempy to destroy the clothing ? (this was admitted to by his defence lawyer). It just doesn't make any sense.

If his lawyer is going to play the "insanity" card, then do they not have to plead "Guilty but insane" at the outset ? I just can't see what they can possibly come up with as a credible defence to say that he didn't actually murder them. The evidence seems to be utterly conclusive. Unless they have some kind of cast-iron alibi up their sleeves which blows the whole case for the prosecution apart - but that looks impossible at the moment.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Something that puzzles me... if he did plead GUILTY - and there was no trial in front of a jury, a judge and the public - how do they assess any right to appeal at a later date ?

Say ten years later he comes back saying it was all a big mistake... it's going to make having a trial then much more difficult.

Do you ever get people pleading guilty to 'big' crimes like this ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here