Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are there so many chavs at Albion

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Common as Mook said:
I always thought it was a Police term. Stood for Council House And Violent.
That must have been added afterwards. I first heard the word when I went to oakmeeds in the early 90's. It's what people who were then known as 'pikeys' used to call each other eg. "alright chavvy boy" or "run chav, it's the gavvers"
The first time I heard it used as a derogatory term was at Haywards Heath college when some HH wanker used it to describe people from Burgess Hill. A couple of years later that chavscum website appeared, the papers cottoned on and hey presto, you've got everyones favourite new word.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Re: Re: Re: Why are there so many chavs at Albion

Goring Gull said:
I don't expect everyone to be quiet and sit down but you have to admit there are some right tossers.

And complete knobs like you

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
what a silly thread.....im sure i saw a thread on here not long ago asking what happened to our amazing away support-you cant have it both ways im afraid-it just so happens that the usual well-off season ticket holder in the north stand who has a season ticket for him and his 2 kids and who drives a merc to withdean doesnt bother with the away games up at reading or watford and so unfortunately you have to put up with more people who are on a day out to have a bit of 'a laugh' and sometimes this consists of (oh no!) getting drunk and rowdy.......has been the case at most football grounds for decades and dont expect it to disappear!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Go on the coach then with your flask if that's what you want.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
butchy said:
what a silly thread.....im sure i saw a thread on here not long ago asking what happened to our amazing away support-you cant have it both ways im afraid-it just so happens that the usual well-off season ticket holder in the north stand who has a season ticket for him and his 2 kids and who drives a merc to withdean doesnt bother with the away games up at reading or watford and so unfortunately you have to put up with more people who are on a day out to have a bit of 'a laugh' and sometimes this consists of (oh no!) getting drunk and rowdy.......has been the case at most football grounds for decades and dont expect it to disappear!!!
:clap: :clap:

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Goring Gull said:
away games, - the away end is always teeming with the chavvy scummers.
Not exactly a unique problem is it ... every club's got them. Look in the away end at the Withdean next season ... if you can see that far! :ohmy:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Lots of definitions of how the word chav came about, think the old Romany Gipsy term is most likely, however I read somewhere that it came from the term CHeltenham AVerage. Living in Gloucester I like to think that it is a swipe at Cheltenham, a town that thinks it is better than it really is and looks down at us folk living just a few miles down the A40.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
butchy said:

Well i'v eonly got 1 kid and no season ticket in the North stand but you've got the Merc bit right.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
When I watched England in the 80s and 90s the following was all middle class amnesty international members

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why are there so many chavs at Albion

algie said:
And complete knobs like you

On dear i can picture Algie now in his Burberry cap and Reebok classics trying to bait the home fans from the safety point in the away stand - running at Millwall etc etc. What a lad.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Cant say i've noticed, in fact more common seems to be our lot getting goaded by large gangs of 13-17 yr old white shellsuiters like Coventry, and who can forget Port Vale and Tranmere a few years back.

One thing that has increased is Brighton fans coming to blows with each other this season in away ends, cant say I have noticed it as much before, but then it may come down to the fact that the rose-tinters have been unable to acknowledge the dross that has been served up on many away days.

Dandyman

In London village.
Rougvie said:
Cant say i've noticed, in fact more common seems to be our lot getting goaded by large gangs of 13-17 yr old white shellsuiters like Coventry, and who can forget Port Vale and Tranmere a few years back.

One thing that has increased is Brighton fans coming to blows with each other this season in away ends, cant say I have noticed it as much before, but then it may come down to the fact that the rose-tinters have been unable to acknowledge the dross that has been served up on many away days.

Have to say I think the Albion fan base is more divided at the moment than it has been for some time. Just waiting for Chappers to do a couple of drive by slayings...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Rougvie said:
Agree with that, but at Wolves there were also quite a few who were having a go at the team during the warm-up. By all means come along and have a few beers for a good day out, but isn't the point of it all to SUPPORT your team?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I must admit there was a huge amount of pondlife wearing Burbery caps and acting like total c*nts in the queue for Palace away this season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
NewtownRoad said:
Does anyone know if you get similar "roughs" at England games.

If so I may have to cancel going to Germany.

no , germany will be a real family occasion. There will be a huge gathering of English drinking teas and munching on scones. Things may get a bit lively with a few renditions of "for he's a jolly good fellow" but expect the local Germans to welcome us with open arms

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Rougvie said:
... but then it may come down to the fact that the rose-tinters have been unable to acknowledge the dross that has been served up on many away days.

Well, that's one one of seeing it I guess. Another might be to suggest that a very small bunch of gormless morons bellowing abuse at McGhee with no relation to events on the pitch and singing loudly about Leon Knight (one of them shouted "FFS, DO something MAGOO!" literally as the substitute CKR ran onto the pitch at Bramall Lane) are not actually proper Brighton supporters at all, rather living proof of the adage that empty vessels make the most noise. But whatever.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Well, that's one one of seeing it I guess. Another might be to suggest that a very small bunch of gormless morons bellowing abuse at McGhee with no relation to events on the pitch and singing loudly about Leon Knight (one of them shouted "FFS, DO something MAGOO!" literally as the substitute CKR ran onto the pitch at Bramall Lane) are not actually proper Brighton supporters at all, rather living proof of the adage that empty vessels make the most noise. But whatever.

Why are they not Brighton supporters?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here