Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are there no welcome to East Sussex signs !!

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
When I cross the divide from west to East It seems to become grey and a little sad, Until the Amex was built now the Westies are pleased to travel into the East:lol::lol:

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Brighton and Hove is now a city so does it not have it's own unitary area? Might be completely wrong and it's just larger cities that are
Yes, Brighton & Hove has been a Unitary Authority since 1997, which pre-dates when it was made a City by 3 years. So Brighton & Hove ceased to be part of East Sussex County Council's administration with the 1997 Local Government re-organisation which set up the concept of unitary authorities. (Portsmouth and Southampton both split out from Hampshire at this time and lots of other examples).
As Lord B has pointed out, the old county boundaries still apply for "ceremonial" purposes, which is a subtlety which has escaped or confused a lot of people. So there are some people who thought Brighton & Hove was still part of East Sussex because it historically had been and other like me who had wrongly assumed that B&H had nothing to do with East Sussex any more beyond sharing a border.
Personally I dislike pomp & circumstance, so I don't see the point in "ceremonial counties" which seem to exist only so that some aristocratic old boy or gel can be made a "Lord Lieutenant" and get to dress up in quasi-military costume a few times a year (if that) and pretend to represent the Queen in aforementioned County during some pointless anachronistic ceremony or other.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Yes, Brighton & Hove has been a Unitary Authority since 1997, which pre-dates when it was made a City by 3 years. So Brighton & Hove ceased to be part of East Sussex County Council's administration with the 1997 Local Government re-organisation which set up the concept of unitary authorities. (Portsmouth and Southampton both split out from Hampshire at this time and lots of other examples).
As Lord B has pointed out, the old county boundaries still apply for "ceremonial" purposes, which is a subtlety which has escaped or confused a lot of people. So there are some people who thought Brighton & Hove was still part of East Sussex because it historically had been and other like me who had wrongly assumed that B&H had nothing to do with East Sussex any more beyond sharing a border.
Personally I dislike pomp & circumstance, so I don't see the point in "ceremonial counties" which seem to exist only so that some aristocratic old boy or gel can be made a "Lord Lieutenant" and get to dress up in quasi-military costume a few times a year (if that) and pretend to represent the Queen in aforementioned County during some pointless anachronistic ceremony or other.

I think you'll find that Sussex has been split in two since the 12th century - nothing to do with the Lord Lieutenant but more to do with the fact that Sussex is long - almost 100 miles from the very eastern part of East Sussex to the western part of west (I think) so was easier to manage by cutting it in two. Brighton & Hove is in East Sussex and one day I'm going to throw that f***ing stupid 'welcome to East Sussex' sign (the one at Falmer) in the local pond.

Lord Bracknell;44653 40 said:
Brighton was a County Borough from 1888 to 1974 - technically a unitary authority (although the term wasn't used until the 1997 local government re-organisation).

County Boroughs provided the services (education, highways etc) that the County Councils provided, although the emergency services have always been retained by the original County authorities. Are UAs simply a new name for them or do their powers differ in some way?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
For those of you precious about your status in West Sussex please note that the Goldstone, Withdean and The Amex were / are all within the historical East Sussex / Brighton & Hove areas so do feel free to support 'your' local county team - in Crawley! But then a lot of punters in darkest West Sussex sadly choose to support Pompey rather than their true County side.

The rest of us are quite proud to say we are from SUSSEX and happily sing GOSBTS - it has never been Good old 'West' sussex by the Sea!

Same for our COUNTY cricket club - which I dont think has ever been based in West Sussex!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Same for our COUNTY cricket club - which I dont think has ever been based in West Sussex!

Whilst the County Ground is in East Sussex, the nicest two grounds SCCC play at (Arundel and Horsham) are both in West Sussex

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Fair point - Arundel and Horsham are delightful for cricket.

Sussex has some good race courses too - Goodwood, Fontwell, Brighton and Plumpton. Shame Lewes racecourse closed as that was a smaller version of Goodwood in its day and Lewes was well known for a number of racing stables.

County Boroughs provided the services (education, highways etc) that the County Councils provided, although the emergency services have always been retained by the original County authorities. Are UAs simply a new name for them or do their powers differ in some way?
Brighton had its own police force until 1968, when the East Sussex, West Sussex, Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings forces amalgamated to form the Sussex Constabulary (later Sussex Police).

541lot382.jpg

Brighton Fire Brigade kept going until 1974 when it became part of the East Sussex Fire Service (now the East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service and - possibly - soon to merge with the West Sussex Service)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
There are.

If you're coming from Worthing along the A27, you don't hit 'East Sussex' until Falmer, and there is one there. Likewise, there is one on the A259 heading east just after Lustrells Vale in Saltdean.

The A23 doesn't enter East Sussex.

Sorry but you're wrong. The signs on the A259 says 'welcome to the city of Brighton and Hove' going west and 'welcome to East Saltdean, part of Telscombe town' heading east. There are no welcome to East Sussex signs because it is all in East Sussex.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Fair point - Arundel and Horsham are delightful for cricket.

Sussex has some good race courses too - Goodwood, Fontwell, Brighton and Plumpton. Shame Lewes racecourse closed as that was a smaller version of Goodwood in its day and Lewes was well known for a number of racing stables.

Brighton is an awful track, the other three are great though - Plumpton is my fave.

Brighton had its own police force until 1968, when the East Sussex, West Sussex, Brighton, Eastbourne and Hastings forces amalgamated to form the Sussex Constabulary (later Sussex Police). Brighton Fire Brigade kept going until 1974
Well I never knew that, even though I moved to Hove in 1967. If it wasn't for the badge, I'd swear that was a colonial police helmet!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here