Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why are games getting cancelled?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The PL clubs must have loads of decent players on their books- youth / reserve team players etc. why don’t they just get told to put those guys in the match day squad?

Also some clubs have tons of players out on loan- they could be told to recall those players to bolster their squad (I appreciate some knock-on impacts from that if the player is on loan at another PL club).

It seems nuts to me that these clubs on the face of it have so many players - and yet they say they can’t find 13 to put into a match day squad.

I must be missing something.

Why only 13? I would understand if you said 14 to allow for the three subs but it would be unfair if one team can make 3 subs and the other only 2.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this really a thread? Ok....

It may have passed the OP by but we have a pandemic. If the squad is affected so that there are too few of the 25 available, then it becomes an unfair advantage to the opposition, and potentially dangerous to send out poor quality under age players, for example. It also ruins the game as a spectacle (see many league cup games, passim).

The problem is setting a cut off and criteria (number of players out due to Covid; due to Covid or injury?).

And clubs cheating over the data.

But every system is tested by the plucky human - have you ever seen anyone driving above a speed limit, for example? The solution isn't to have no rules.

Innit.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think there is too much advantage seeking going on over these postponements.

Either all games should be postponed, or none of them.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think there is too much advantage seeking going on over these postponements.

Either all games should be postponed, or none of them.

Disagree. If a Top 6 side, only need to cancel games against Teams like Brighton to ensure rested when playing each other.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Should have to get fans to play instead

Indeed. Skins v shirts, rush goalie, next goals the winner and you can dispute contentious VAR decisions by threatening to take your ball home with you! And of course jumpers for posts!

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
I am sure if we only had a few first teamers plus only under 23s and under 18 players available to play against a full strength Chelsea tomorrow night,(especially if it was at Home) we would be wanting the game postponed. However, it does seem easy for games to be cancelled but probably not for #teams like Brighton:wink:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They could always play 5 a side.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The PL clubs must have loads of decent players on their books- youth / reserve team players etc. why don’t they just get told to put those guys in the match day squad?

Also some clubs have tons of players out on loan- they could be told to recall those players to bolster their squad (I appreciate some knock-on impacts from that if the player is on loan at another PL club).

It seems nuts to me that these clubs on the face of it have so many players - and yet they say they can’t find 13 to put into a match day squad.

I must be missing something.

I think part of what you're missing is that these players aren't absent because they're sick - in many cases they probably have no symptoms at all and don't realise they have it till they test positive. Despite this they're not allowed to play or train and clubs have a duty of care to stop it spreading. This means closing training grounds and preventing mixing of bubbles, which in some cases will preclude calling up players from youth teams.

Agreed its all haphazard and seems arbitrary, but at the same time we shouldn't be treating someone with covid as just another illness.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think part of what you're missing is that these players aren't absent because they're sick - in many cases they probably have no symptoms at all and don't realise they have it till they test positive. Despite this they're not allowed to play or train and clubs have a duty of care to stop it spreading. This means closing training grounds and preventing mixing of bubbles, which in some cases will preclude calling up players from youth teams.

Agreed its all haphazard and seems arbitrary, but at the same time we shouldn't be treating someone with covid as just another illness.

I think that is exactly what we should be doing to be fair.

But that’s not for this thread….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Newcastle want their next game called off due to injuries to key players - no doubt a couple more players will suddenly ‘catch’ COVID today or tomorrow to help their cause

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Perhaps the PL should introduce a rule whereby vaccinated players don’t have to sit out games (unless genuinely ill obviously) but unvaccinated ones do? Might help encourage take up too.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
It all seems a bit over blown to me. Maybe there has been the odd occasion when a club has effectively had to shut down due to isolation requirements etc. but in most cases it seems that they could have fielded a side- albeit a weakened one with some youth players thrown in.

In those cases I feel they could have just got on with it and played the games.

I can’t see how it impacts the integrity of the competition when all clubs are in the same situation where they may be impacted by positive tests.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Newcastle want their next game called off due to injuries to key players - no doubt a couple more players will suddenly ‘catch’ COVID today or tomorrow to help their cause

Not possible. Amongst the information clubs need to provide following a Covid outbreak;

‘ Supporting medical information to verify the status of each unavailable player, which will be reviewed by the League’s medical advisers’

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2426753

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Perhaps the PL should introduce a rule whereby vaccinated players don’t have to sit out games (unless genuinely ill obviously) but unvaccinated ones do? Might help encourage take up too.

Being vaccinated doesn’t prevent you from catching Covid and passing it on to someone more vulnerable. It does protect you from serious illness.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here