Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are Brighton so precious about gay chants?

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
personally i couldn't give a rats arse... if someone wants to call me a poof, let em..

i am fully aware that i am a straight man, and if others want to call me gay then so be it. Really not bothered.

It is only banter, and people want to man up and get on with things. This country is really too PC, and before long you wont be able to call our northern friends "dirty northern bastards", or sing PALACE songs. Is that what we want? sanitised football, where we all sit and clap and say well done?

Live with it. we have done for the last 20 years, why should things change now. Racial abuse i can understand, but singing "does your boyfriend know your here? or We can see you holding hands!" does not in my eyes contribute to abuse.

RANT over

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I don't think a lot of people cry themselves to sleep over a 'does your boyfriend know your here' chants but the fact of the matter is the authorities have decided homophobia is the next thing to be sorted out in football.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
personally i couldn't give a rats arse... if someone wants to call me a poof, let em..

i am fully aware that i am a straight man, and if others want to call me gay then so be it. Really not bothered.

It is only banter, and people want to man up and get on with things. This country is really too PC, and before long you wont be able to call our northern friends "dirty northern bastards", or sing PALACE songs. Is that what we want? sanitised football, where we all sit and clap and say well done?

Live with it. we have done for the last 20 years, why should things change now. Racial abuse i can understand, but singing "does your boyfriend know your here? or We can see you holding hands!" does not in my eyes contribute to abuse.

RANT over

Personally I don't think there's anything anyone could say that would offend me. I have no problem with 'banter' - some of the funniest things I have ever heard have been shouted at football matches, but some people don't seem to know where the "line" is - or in some cases, too stupid to know where it is, especially when you're in a crowd and can't really be held accountable. As people like to outdo others, there tends to be scope creep about the lengths that people go.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Not precious but no bloke wants to be called Gay do they. Almost anything is better than that as conjurs up images of nancy men , unable to stand up for themselves and just being soft, eccentric and attention seeking. Within particularly the football environment real men rule

Just saying the reality of it.

In all honesty, I don't give a shit.

I'm comfortable with my sexuality and if someone calls me gay I'm not enraged. It's laughable. I can stand up for myself. I may be soft, eccentric and attention seeking but that's not exclusive to gayers.

Anyway, as a rule, gay people don't nick your car/ break into your gaff/ glass people in pubs etc.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
As a crowd I think we've been able to handle all the predictable 'gay' stuff and I don't lose any sleep over it and it doesn't stop me hugging the guy next to me when we score.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here