Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who's the best manager England have ever had?

Who has been the best in your view?

• Total voters

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Can't believe there's no vote for Southgate. A world cup Semi, European final, world cup quarter final and gone in to this tournament as favourite.

The Denmark game was pretty abysmal and he seems limited as a coach at times but has to be one of greatest managers IMO
This.

It's utterly mad that people dismiss Southgate because he doesn't play swashbuckling football. I worry he may have gone a tournament too far but his record is 2nd only to Ramsey. The England team was in a dire state when he took over. Be careful what we wish for with him leaving because I am not convinced anyone out there would do much better.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This.

It's utterly mad that people dismiss Southgate because he doesn't play swashbuckling football. I worry he may have gone a tournament too far but his record is 2nd only to Ramsey. The England team was in a dire state when he took over. Be careful what we wish for with him leaving because I am not convinced anyone out there would do much better.

I can't believe anyone thinks Gareth Southgate is the greatest England manager of all time. I honestly think I've pitted myself against better managers in Coventry and North Warwickshire div 3 under 13s league. Ray Charles would have better in game management.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Out of curiosity, I had a quick look to see if I was being hard on Southgate. I'm really not.

In competitions worth winning these are the teams we've beat with Southgate at the helm

2018 : Tunisia, Panama, Sweden and Columbia albeit on penalties

2021 : Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany, Ukraine and Denmark (all of those bar Ukraine with home advantage)

2022 : Iran, Wales, Senegal

2024 : Serbia

Meanwhile we lost to Italy, Belgium twice, France and Croatia whilst failing to beat international heavyweights such as Scotland, the yanks and the bang average Danish team the other night. Give it 48 hours and I'll add Slovenia to the list.

It's hardly prime Pep Guardiola is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here