Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who's the best manager England have ever had?

Who has been the best in your view?

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Alf Ramsey obviously
joe mercer
bobby robson

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Sir Alf Ramsey. But the most successful in my lifetime is Southgate.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Hipster view but ìf they had kept Joe Mercer in charge it would have been interesting

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Obviously a bit of an odd question, which should be "After Ramsey, who is....", Shirley.

I'm most fond of Robson and Venables but they managed some absolute shite shows too, seemingly forgotten (Beardsley was Robson's saviour) so that's mostly about nostalgia (Robson and Gazza, the 4-1 vs Holland etc etc).

Sven gave me the best game (the 5-1) but that was a solitary highlight.

Probably Hoddle, who may have gone on to do well if not vocalising his odd beliefs and the British press.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Can't believe there's no vote for Southgate. A world cup Semi, European final, world cup quarter final and gone in to this tournament as favourite.

The Denmark game was pretty abysmal and he seems limited as a coach at times but has to be one of greatest managers IMO

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Obviously Ramsey as he's the only one who won something. Kudos to Robson for reaching a semi-final on foreign soil. But for penalties, a good chance we'd have won that tournament. Venables' team was exciting at Euro '96, rode their luck against Spain but ultimately didn't get the rub of the green. Hoddle was maybe the most modern coach for his time, but derailed by a combination of the media and his own slightly offbeat persona. Southgate - for all his in-game flaws - has done easily as good a job as any of the others since Ramsey and deserves great credit for restoring faith to the point where we're now surprised at England being poor. Keegan, Eriksson, Capello and Hodgson proved it's a very difficult challenge.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Terry Venables.

24 matches. The only times we lost was on pens to the Germans, 3-1 to Brazil with a makeshift CB pairing of Colin Cooper and John Scales (!) and a match that was abandoned after 27mins vs Republic of Ireland.

Just 14 goals conceded, and because we got auto-qualification for Euro 096 we didn't play any mug teams in his 2 years either, unless you count an away match vs China in the People's Stadium.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tactically it would be Capello for me. The problem was that he didn't seem that interested and he was deeply unpopular with the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here