Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who's the best manager Brighton have ever had?

Best ever Brighton manager

• Total voters

sakooshi

Jun 16, 2024
Obviously Fabian hasn't curated any actual games so far, but who knows, perhaps he'll prove to be our best manager yet.

Casper18

May 1, 2024
For me it was Mark McGhee, getting us promoted from League One and even more impressively, keeping us in the Championship the following season when we were on a shoestring budget, playing at Withdean and competing against clubs with far superior resources. I voted for Steve Coppell in error (although his season was also impressive after taking over the mess from Martin Hinshelwood and almost he kept us in the Championship in 2002-03).

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Graham Potter for me.

Hughton did an incredible job for getting us up and keeping us up against the odds, but Potter was the man who turned us into the established mid-table Premier League side that we are today.

RDZ was the right man at the right time, who rode the wave of Potters success, but over time I suspect it will be proven that he is overrated and a one trick pony.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Obviously Fabian hasn't curated any actual games so far, but who knows, perhaps he'll prove to be our best manager yet.
"curated" ? Welcome back our Swedish pizza loving friend.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I have different answers depending on how I define best. Highest performance potential makes it RDZ, getting us into the Premier League and keeping us there makes it CH, MM is another great shout considering the players he was working with.

There is/was no one best, but I’m voting RDZ because while it was the right decision to let him go, he had the highest motivational ability of any coach we’ve had so far. I can’t in good conscience vote for FH yet, but I’m hoping that by the end of next season I’ll be able to rate him higher.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Graham Potter for me.

Hughton did an incredible job for getting us up and keeping us up against the odds, but Potter was the man who turned us into the established mid-table Premier League side that we are today.

RDZ was the right man at the right time, who rode the wave of Potters success, but over time I suspect it will be proven that he is overrated and a one trick pony.
Without the ability to inspire players to score (as his predecessor was seemingly able to do with ease with pretty much the same players prior to The Big Sulk) he can never be considered our best manager ever.

However, you do make some good points. I can’t think of a better candidate for our ‘2nd best manager of all time’ crown.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Graham Potter for me.

I’m shocked never thought you would have Potter down as your fav 🤣

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Well, not that difficult is it?

According to most of the history lessons I've been taking, Brighton & Hove Albion probably wouldn't be around today if it wasnt for Charlie Webb fighting disinterested snobs in Brighton refusing to go to football, press doing their outmost to break the club down and boards either to dumb or too greedy to do the best for the club. Dunno if they played some sweet sweet tiki-taka back then or if it was all shit, but the whole "club vs no club" has had a big impact on the success of managers and the club until this very day.

Would I want him back? Yes. That would be interesting indeed.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Steve Gritt

His achievements dwarf anyone else's. If Albion had gone down, who knows where we would be now

Some folk need a history lesson....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Like an election in Russia, only one real candidate.

RDZ the man who took us into Europe, topped the group, and who knows if he’d been backed in the transfer market and we hadn’t got the bad injuries, we might have gone all the way to Dublin.

I see G Potter has accrued two votes, morning Mr and Mrs P 😂

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me there needs to have been some degree of longevity, taking the club forward, enhancing or establishing a style, bringing through players we loved.

Mullery ticks all of those boxes, so he gets my vote. Had they both not lost the plot then RDZ and Poyet would have been vying for top spot.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
No (original) Peter Taylor on the list?!
I was just wondering WHICH Peter Taylor?

I would love Cattlin to have stayed - he did a magnificent job in difficult circumstances.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For me (Clive), 'best is all a bit subjective, so I'll go for who is the nicest bloke: HOUGHTON!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well CH gets my vote, lifting that team after the Middlesbrough defeat and then to automatic promotion the following season took some strong belief and player motivation.
I also enjoyed the Barry LLoyd promotion season football is after all an entertainment business and I was entertained. Two great Albion squads were built for two unforgettable seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here