Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Wouldn't HARTY know?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lenny Ryder was the co-editor of "Gulls Eye". The legendary Albion fanzine that was withouth doubt the funniest and most passionate Albion publication of all time.

Along with Harty they were the communication link with the fans during the dark days of Belotti, Archer and raspberry chewits style away kits. They were sued for libel by the directors, but lived to fight on for the cause they love.

True Albion legends, without them there would have been no co-ordination against the dark forced that sought to destroy the stripes through spin and dark arts.

It's a shame that they do not publish a 'best of' Gulls Eye for all us old codgers to reminisce about

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
wouldnt expect ny of the newbies to know this, I used to buy my gulls eye of harty and him near that church round the back of the goldstone.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
gulls eye was legendary and to this day i still have a good flick through. Always remember the cantona cover with a picture of steve foster jumping on him saying "take that you french poof" or words to that effect. or the John Crumplin cover after he scored against woking i think, had him doin his laces up and the ball bouncing off him and going in. marvellous scenes!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've still got a few copies at the back of a wardrobe somewhere. One with a cartoon of Barry Lloyd and Gotsmanov on the cover springs to mind. Salad daze indeed.

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Gulls Eye was a classic - one cover I remember as a young lad was a picture of Garry Nelson with his arms wide apart saying 'Honest God I saw Dubbers in the shower and it was this big'. Led to awkward questions from me as a young lad to my pa who neatly sidestepped the issue, although I cant remember how.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
Remember they also made national news when one of the front covers had Barry Lloyd in his office picking the team saying things cannot get any worse, with a plane heading for the office window.

Sadly this came out only days after a plane crashed on the M6.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Eastleigh Seagull said:
Led to awkward questions from me as a young lad to my pa who neatly sidestepped the issue, although I cant remember how.

As a young lad you had a Personal Assistant?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Seagulls over Lewes said:
one of the front covers had Barry Lloyd in his office picking the team saying things cannot get any worse, with a plane heading for the office window.

Sad to say I'm actually chuckling here at the thought of that cartoon. Sheer class.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Chicken Run Lenny Rider was my pen name throughout the Gulls Eye years, to the point that when we appeared in the High Court in 1990 Peter Kennard and I were sued as ourselves but also with the AKA Billy Watson and Lenny Rider.
When due to legalaties GE had to cease for a month or two we became for 2 issues Gulls Ear and Peter was Trevor Jenkinson and I became Lionel Paul Humphries.
On the subject of the fanzine Simon Cox at Brighton Fans.com is looking at having a Vintage Gulls Eye site, with all the cartoon front covers and selected articles from the 100 editions.
So stay tuned for more details, and finally.........Tony Millard was LARRY BOYD!!!!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gulls Eye did exactly what fanzines were supposed to, a refreshing antidote to the mundane club news and views in the official programme. It was informed, passionate, witty, irreverent, even savage sometimes. And it was also a thing of its time. Nowadays NSC has replaced that need for a lot of people, I'm not sure it would ever be so successful again.

I honestly think Gulls Eye was one of the best in the country at that time, I often bought others and it was right up there.

Albion Rob

Part of the lure was that it actually looked like it was done by a few blokes with a typewriter. I have bought the Oatcake in Stoke a few times, it is really good, but almost too professional.

Gulls Eye was excellent, no doubt about it. In my days as a 14-year-old in Eastbourne without NSC for info it was literally the only way you could get a view on the club that hadn't been distorted by Bellotti and Archer.

I was a big fan of the "Allegedly" page.

Just thinking about it now reminds me of the seige mentality we manged to form at the Goldstone in those last couple of years.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Harty said:
Chicken Run Lenny Rider was my pen name throughout the Gulls Eye years, to the point that when we appeared in the High Court in 1990 Peter Kennard and I were sued as ourselves but also with the AKA Billy Watson and Lenny Rider.
When due to legalaties GE had to cease for a month or two we became for 2 issues Gulls Ear and Peter was Trevor Jenkinson and I became Lionel Paul Humphries.
On the subject of the fanzine Simon Cox at Brighton Fans.com is looking at having a Vintage Gulls Eye site, with all the cartoon front covers and selected articles from the 100 editions.
So stay tuned for more details, and finally.........Tony Millard was LARRY BOYD!!!!

Thanx for clearing that up Harty, any chance of some different people getting thru on the phone and perhaps asking people to get straight to the point?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here